StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So many choices, so many factors: Aesthetics, function, capacity, durability, weight... AAAARGH!

I like top loaders over side loaders, though they're the minority (and generally pricier). Also, to me it looks weird to have the sinuous curves of a Givi or Coocase top case alongside the 'Range Rover' lines of something like a Pelican, Gobi, or Trax.

One thing I'd appreciate hearing from folks who do or don't have "large" top cases: Is the idea of fitting "two full-face helmets" more a marketing checkbox, or do you find yourself needing to do that more often than not? At the moment I don't foresee riding two-up much if at all, and making that a priority rules out a lot of fine cases.

I'd like the Pelicans more if they were top loaders... say if they made the 1440 in a Storm model. For a complete set, I find myself leaning towards the Trax and the H&B Gobi cases; has anyone reading this thread had these long enough to judge their durability over the long haul?

If I were to stick with my original idea of getting the Coocase for the top, I could bypass the top loader preference and get the Pelicans (probably the Twisted Throttle setup), or be minimalist and get the Givi 21s.

At the moment I appear to be stuck in analysis paralysis... good because it stems the outflow of cash, bad because it would be great to have the bags. :)

Now I know that most of you out there don't have strong opinions... but I ask you to really STRETCH and let me know your oh-so-mild preferences. :biggrinjester:

Thanks for whatever you wish to share-

Bob

·
Registered
490 Posts
What are you going to use them for? Long trips, short trips, motelling, camping? How much crap do you haul? Do you pack like a car camper or a backpacker? I have a V46 topcase and E21 sidecases and they do me for long (2 week plus) motel trips, with a 30 litre duffel on the seat, they do for long camping trips as well. Total cost, including racks was about $600

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Pelican sells many cases.

Caribou does not exploit some of Pelicans assets.

If you desire a top loader then go with the Pelicans of your choice and mount them to whichever rack you think best.

See my signature line for the way that I chose to do mine.

Use advanced search, use my handle, search for Pelican in the luggage thread, you'll find my bit of a writeup...

Make it your own...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What are you going to use them for? Long trips, short trips, motelling, camping? How much crap do you haul? Do you pack like a car camper or a backpacker? I have a V46 topcase and E21 sidecases and they do me for long (2 week plus) motel trips, with a 30 litre duffel of the seat, they do for long camping trips as well. Total cost, including racks was about $600
The only definite plan for right now is commuting, both to work and to fairly brief social events (same day up to about three days). One thing I've found, though, that having gear of ANY kind seems to result in finding more use 'cases' (heh-heh) for said gear.

I might end up stalling for a while to chew on the decision (or not)... all info is good info, thanks for yours.

Bob

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pelican sells many cases.

Caribou does not exploit some of Pelicans assets.

If you desire a top loader then go with the Pelicans of your choice and mount them to whichever rack you think best.

See my signature line for the way that I chose to do mine.

Use advanced search, use my handle, search for Pelican in the luggage thread, you'll find my bit of a writeup...

Make it your own...
Thanks... I did look through your writeup, interesting. Ironically, it puts me off the 1440s... I wondered about the extra width for the "pull along" handle, not a good tradeoff in my book. I'm also looking for off-the-shelf rather than hand-tooled; I'm short of time and shorter on machining tools and expertise. :)

There's always the possibility of using Twisted Throttle's quick-release attachments for any Pelican case, just removes the ability to use their built-in locks. Also, the wheels and pull-out handles *really* get in the way for use as a topcase. :(

Back to cogitation, thanks for the input.

Bob

·
Registered
36 Posts
I purchased a SHAD 37 Liter Top Case (with a cool rack on top) and added a pair of Givi E21's. I just completed 11 days cross country and the entire package worked amazingly well. Used the trunk for Laptop, Camera, Tools, etc, and the two side cases for clothes. When we got to a hotel, 2 quick key turns and I was unloaded.

I wish you luck on your decision.

Stuart

·
Registered
72 Posts
One thing I'd appreciate hearing from folks who do or don't have "large" top cases: Is the idea of fitting "two full-face helmets" more a marketing checkbox, or do you find yourself needing to do that more often than not?

I have one of the cheap-o JCW 40L cases. Had it on for about 3 years now and it is JUST big enough to hold my XL helmet. Just barely. I have to really squeeze it to shut it sometimes. Problem is this has pretty well scratched up my helmet over the years. I'm also thinking it's about time to ditch it and go with the Coocase. My point being, yes, IMHO it is worth it to get a good case that will COMFORTABLY fit at least 1 XL helmet and 2 is even better. Coocase deluxe with the soft lining would be my choice now.

I also have had the Givi 21e's for several years of commuting as well. Good enough. Not too wide and will hold some groceries in 1 and supplies (extra gloves, bungies, tools, etc) in the other.

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
I don't know if it's a concern for you, but I do know that being able to carry at least (1) case of beer in my top case, is of prime importance. And, if it can handle a case, it can handle two helmets, btw. My inexpensive [but not cheap] Bestem top case can easily swallow a case of Canadia's finest [and a domestic friend or two]......

And, I did just buy some Pelican's/Givi side racks from a fellow 'Trooper.....I'm diggin' the Pelicans. Easy to open/close, very secure and really burly [lightweight too].

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks both.

Talking of the racks brings up another back-and-forth choice; apart from the quick-remove feature of SWM and H&B, I haven't found any thread with a direct comparison of "starting width" for each of the available side racks for the 650.

I read one post that claimed the SWM was an inch wider than need be (took that as overall, might have meant per side), and another that claimed the Givi racks were as snug to the bike as possible.

Still gathering info... :)

Bob

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
I was surprised by how close the Givi racks sit next to the muffler - can't even get a finger in between. The Pelican's I use [forget the model, are only about 10" wide [?], so the overall width really isn't that bad, but hey do swallow lots of gear.

I did however have to remind myself to mind my leg swing when mounting the bike......oh yeah....!

·
Registered
555 Posts
The only definite plan for right now is commuting, both to work and to fairly brief social events (same day up to about three days). One thing I've found, though, that having gear of ANY kind seems to result in finding more use 'cases' (heh-heh) for said gear.

I might end up stalling for a while to chew on the decision (or not)... all info is good info, thanks for yours.

Bob
I finally broke down and got the large JCW topcase after 5 years of having my bike and wondered why I didn't get one sooner. I use it all the time for commuting. Stopping at the store on the way home for a few things. I think you could carry a lot if you pack smart, but it certainly won't hold two larger helmets. I'm pretty sure I have an XL helmet and it has to lay on it's side in order for the lid to close. It certainly is not superior craftsmanship, but it locks and it is dry. I have had it through several deluges. I figure if it craps out after a year I'll get a nicer one because I like having it so much. If lasts a few years I'll probably just pick up another one. Wait for a time you can get free shipping and it will cost you somewhere in the $70 range to your door. Can't really help you with sidecases. Not sure I want them.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
You can prolly fit 2 2XL helmets in the Givi 55 litre case, I had trouble fitting them into the 52 litre version.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Come take a look

I just went through the same decision process a month ago. I ended up with the large coocase up top and the Jesse's for the side. Turns out I am very close to you. Live in Campbell/Los Gatos and work in Santa Clara. Also purchased them for commuting etc. If you want to stop by and take a look/ride with them let me know. No regrets other than price tag but worth every $

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the Trax side cases on my Wee. They came on the bike when I purchased it used. I'm impressed with how light they are and how easy it is to remove the cases and the rack. They can be purchased in a set that includes the cases and rack. I have only had the bike a couple of weeks but the cases seem to be well built and user friendly. I would definitely recommend them.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have a set up similar to jokermtb, and the same taste in beers as well.
Coocase Astra 48 that will hold two full face and my side cases are Seahorse that are more or less pelican clones but are only around $62 if you get the metal locks. Works well for me.
Greg

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've got experience with two setups. My previous Vee had a 3 case pelican 1550 setup from Caribou.

It was great except I wasn't happy with the 1550 for the following reasons. It was not tall enough to hold a helmet, and it would not support a backrest for my wife. Other than that, I loved the side cases and they are extremely durable. I crash tested them, and still have them. I'm probably going to put them on my current Vee.

My current Vee is a 2007 with factory luggage. The top case holds two helmets and its very useful I love being able to through my helmet and sometimes the wife's in the case and not carry it with me or lock it on the bike where it could end up getting wet.

The side factory side cases are a trapezoid shape that I am not a fan of. That said they look great.

What I think I'm going to ultimately do is put the pelicans on the side, and a Givi on top. Best of both worlds IMO.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
when I was working, I used a tank bag for a briefcase. I later put on a large topbox and I think it's great. Get the biggest you can and you'll always have extra gloves, sunglasses, first aid and still have los of room for packages.

PS: the two helmets that fit are XXXXXS! :hurray:

·
Registered
628 Posts
I have a set of Moto-Sport Bavaria Rear Cases (top load) on the back and an old Givi Top Case. I like the top load ability of the cases -- everything goes into a pair of fitted cordura bags and then they easily slide into the cases. In the past, when I've had side load rear cases on a bike, I did not pack loose but used fitted bags so things did not fall out when I opened the lid.

I only use the Top Case for longer trips to carry my stove, cooking gear, etc so the ability to fit a helmet is of no advantage to me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Closer, but not done...

Thanks all for your feedback.

I'm still going back and forth, but have narrowed things down to fewer options. Here's some brief reasons on the 'why' for each:

- Pelican-based systems (Caribou and Twisted Throttle)
The challenge here is the lack of great topcase options. (I really would prefer to not mix 'Italian chic' with 'Germanic utility' if I can avoid it.) Caribou has a 34-liter topcase (maker/model unknown :(), and I don't really want a topcase that won't fit a helmet, which rules out M2600 as a topcase.
I prefer the Twisted Throttle mounting system, though I am torn between the SW-Motech siderack and the rock-solid Caribou frame. If I could identify the make/model of the Caribou 34-liter topcase, I'd consider buying one and using the TT mount hardware.

- SW-Motech Trax
I've read everything I could find on these, and they do sound very solid, with an acceptable topcase capacity, very light weight, and waterproof (from what I've read of recent manufacture.) It sounds like they are durable in any but 'hard crash' situations, which for me is an acceptable risk.

- Gobi
I still love the look of these. They end up being comparable in price to the Trax (less than $100 difference total), but both heavier and wider, and not as durable as the Pelican solutions. For me, they're out of the picture.

- Jesse
I was initially ruling these out as just too danged costly, but as I 'crept up the price ladder' (just like buying a car!), I do want to consider them before deciding. They look like the most rugged aluminum-based solution out there, and the mounting system looks just fantastic in its flexibility. I haven't tallied up the overall price for the Odyssey II set yet, will do that today. I'll also hook up with 'climbs' to take him up on the offer to view his Jesse setup. (Thanks!)

So, bottom line: Trax (black), Pelican (Caribou or TT?), or Jesse. Stay tuned for more news, film at 11... :thumbup:

Bob

1 - 20 of 64 Posts