StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing a little looking into potential sidecase options for my soon-to-be-Wee and I'm needing some clarification.....

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not braining too good today. :(

Anyway, what I was gonna ask (before wandering off to do some of my own research was this....

It seems there are two main schools of thought in the side case department;

1) Cases permanently mounted to removable racks (SW-Motech's EVO rack springs to mind), or
2) Racks mounted permanently with removable cases (Caribou)

Are there any strengths/weaknesses to either system?

On my KLR I bought some Pelican 1520s and 20mm ammo cans and mounted them (not at the same time) to a Happy Trail SU rack. I REALLY like the idea of using Pelican 1550s (or something similar) on the EVO rack, but frankly, I'd prefer to buy something made with more professionalism than my freshman efforts. LOL Caribou offers Pelicans already set up for the EVO, but the cases themselves are quick release...which sounds kinda weird for a quick release rack.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I am not braining too good today. :(

Anyway, what I was gonna ask (before wandering off to do some of my own research was this....

It seems there are two main schools of thought in the side case department;

1) Cases permanently mounted to removable racks (SW-Motech's EVO rack springs to mind), or

Are there any strengths/weaknesses to either system?

On my KLR I bought some Pelican 1520s and 20mm ammo cans and mounted them (not at the same time) to a Happy Trail SU rack. I REALLY like the idea of using Pelican 1550s (or something similar) on the EVO rack, but frankly, I'd prefer to buy something made with more professionalism than my freshman efforts. LOL Caribou offers Pelicans already set up for the EVO, but the cases themselves are quick release...which sounds kinda weird for a quick release rack.
I see the appeal of using quick release cases on a quick release rack. Imagine trying to load up a case inside your house with this big funky rack hanging off of it. It wouldn't be terribly convenient to throw on your bed to pile in some clothing. Then you get the thing all packed up and go out to the bike and remount the rack. The would be rather difficult trying to hold a heavy object still while you line up all the mounting points.

I like the idea of a quick release case on a permanently mounted rack. When the cases are off, the rack provides some protection for the rear of the bike in the event of a tip-over.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I have Top loading quick release locking cases, with Motech quick release lockable racks.
I only have the cases on when I need the storage (not cummuting).

Although I can have the racks off in 15 seconds, I have yet to remove them from the bike.

IMO, having cases that you can take off the bike like hotel luggage is the way to go.

Ken

·
Registered
22,322 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
My goals:
1) don't break the bank
2) keep it narrow/nimble
3) easy on-off

So I went w/ some Pelican 1520s I found on sale (not as wide as the 1550s) mounted to Givi racks just using hockey pucks (cut in half and "scooped" to latch onto the rack), a bolt, and some bigass washers to spread the load. Cheap and goes on and off quickly, and at 36.1" wide, its only a tick wider than my handlebars so I don't have to worry about too much junk in the truck, heh!

(and don't forget, the cases even w/ the seat makes for a GREAT platform to hold a bigass waterproof duffel bag for massive capacity)

From the front you can barely even see the cases sticking out:

PS: Reflexite tape is aweeeeesoooome! :D

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
3) Cases with adapters mounted to removable racks.

R.I.P. (Retire In Peace, thanks for the great ride.)

·
Premium Member
2007 DL650ABS
302 Posts
Here's a bit of a clarification;
From the wording of your question it seems as though you think its an either/or situation when removing racks with cases, or just cases.

With the SW Motech racks and Givi cases you can remove just the cases to go back and forth to the house or hotel room. When just commuting around for the day at home or doing maintenance, you can take the cases and racks off and run "clean" without all the hardware hanging off the bike.
Admittedly, as nice as they are, this may not be an option with Pelican cases which might only be able to be permanently mounted.

System with the Givi cases works great for me.

Good luck deciding. :mod2_winkiss:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Deciding is usually the most traumatic part. LOL I like the idea of fixed racks/removable cases, but (if this makes sense) I'd like attractive racks. I really like the Caribous, but I haven't found a GOOD pic of a Wee/Vee with just the racks. The SU racks looked fine on the KLR, but I'm not sure the same will be true on the DL650.

I gotta say, that Odyssey II thing that inspmark linked too.....THAT looks fantastic, but it's not cheap! LOL

·
Registered
424 Posts
Deciding is usually the most traumatic part. LOL I like the idea of fixed racks/removable cases, but (if this makes sense) I'd like attractive racks. I really like the Caribous, but I haven't found a GOOD pic of a Wee/Vee with just the racks. The SU racks looked fine on the KLR, but I'm not sure the same will be true on the DL650.

I gotta say, that Odyssey II thing that inspmark linked too.....THAT looks fantastic, but it's not cheap! LOL
The Caribou racks are pretty fugly in my opinion. I find the Givi racks to be fairly unobtrusive looking, particularly if you already have some crash bars around the engine/fairing since they somewhat match.

I plan on running either Pelican or Caribou cases mounted to the Givi PL532 racks. There are a few options for you depending upon the price you want to spend:

1.) Plain-jane Pelican cases (around $200/pair) mounted w/ Happy Trails pucks ($50). This is somewhat of a quick release option as all you do is open the case and unscrew a couple of knobs. It is maybe not the most convenient system for installing/removing the cases when you have stuff loaded in them. You can always buy a set of liner bags that allow you to pack those up, install/remove the cases, and put the bags inside.

2.) Plain-jane Pelicans mounted with Caribou ALS brackets. These are an external quick release bracket that bolts to the case and allows you to install/remove just as you would with any external quick release side case like the Givi Monokey or other brands. They also lock the case to the racks, thought you would still have to padlock the cases to keep your contents safe. The Caribou ALS runs $185. Twisted Throttle just came out with their own version that can be used with Givi/SW Motech/Hepco Becker brackets. I think it is $165.

3.) Last option is the most expensive, the Caribou cases w/ their ALS system ($475). You get the system I describe above plus the cases have a lid lock keyed the same as the quick release brackets as well as their internal retention straps and lid lanyards. I like this system because you can lock everything to the bike and don't have multiple keys for removing the cases and locking the cases as you would if you used padlocks on the plain Pelicans.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hey Ducman you got any high res pics of you bike I like it very much I am aiming at the yellow wee look.

Yeah I was looking at the caribou solution but it seems pretty pricey but very well made.

Uzidzit

Your pelicans are from who? The locks are standard? Can you describe your setup.

·
Registered
639 Posts
the boxes are from sea horse

and have been perfectly fine and waterproof for over 30,000miles now. I made the cleats on the back of the boxes at the bottom, and the metal latches on the top were formed from 2 large hasps from home depot. The locks were $4.00 also from home depot, they are sash locks.(if you look at the keys in the package you can buy 2 locks with the same key codes and and only carry 1 key for both boxes.

The only mod to the givi brackets is the hole, so I can screw the cleats back on and use givi luggage if I ever have it.

the yellow boxs were on sale, I was going to paint them but they make the bike a lot more visable so I am told so they stayed yellow.

these pics were taken before I painted the mounting hardware, ok I have never bothered to paint the hardware but maybe some day. The slide show should show the attachment details.

Seahorse offers locking latches on their boxes, and you can order them keyed the same, they are a lock to only keep the honest folks honest but they work well as any on motorcycle luggage, plus you could add pad locks if you like.

·
Registered
22,322 Posts
3.) Last option is the most expensive, the Caribou cases w/ their ALS system ($475). You get the system I describe above plus the cases have a lid lock keyed the same as the quick release brackets as well as their internal retention straps and lid lanyards. I like this system because you can lock everything to the bike and don't have multiple keys for removing the cases and locking the cases as you would if you used padlocks on the plain Pelicans.

in my comparison shopping, the aluminum boxes were on the high end, I wanted a complete system and only considered complete systems , Caribous were the least expensive option I looked at

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
When I check into a motel with the bags I like to have some assurance that the mounting bars are still on the bike in the morning. For that reason alone I don't like the quick removable mounts. If someone wants them they will need to use tools and take more time stealing them. Perhaps they'll go take someone else's quick offs instead of mine

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have the Caribou top loaders and couldn't be happier. I purchased the complete system from Caribou, and the top loaders use the Hepco Becker "Lock-It" quick release racks. This allows me to take the cases off leaving the rack, or take the the rack off as well. Only tool needed is hex-key.

Cheap? No. Good Looking? That's a matter of opinion, but it's growing on me. Bullet proof with tons of room? Absolutely!

Attachments

·
Registered
424 Posts
in my comparison shopping, the aluminum boxes were on the high end, I wanted a complete system and only considered complete systems , Caribous were the least expensive option I looked at
I meant the most expensive of the Caribou/Pelican/Givi rack combos. You are correct, aluminum cases are generally the most expensive, though there are some competitively priced alternatives if you want to go that route. I don't particularly like the asymmetry of the cheaper aluminum cases. The best IMHO are the Jesse Odyssey cases. If I was a wealthy man, that is what I would have on my bike.

·
Registered
965 Posts
When I check into a motel with the bags I like to have some assurance that the mounting bars are still on the bike in the morning. For that reason alone I don't like the quick removable mounts. If someone wants them they will need to use tools and take more time stealing them. Perhaps they'll go take someone else's quick offs instead of mine
Here are the locks that hold the rack on. Just above and left and right of the plate....

I have never taken them off my bike, although that option is nice.

Ken

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Here are the locks that hold the rack on. Just above and left and right of the plate....
I have never taken them off my bike, although that option is nice.

Ken
Thanks for that bit of info...Being new I did not realize the locked on...:)
Not sure why I would take them off though as they seem handy for protection as well as bungying golf clubs or a case of beer on the back seat...Ian

1 - 20 of 39 Posts