StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last few days I think I've read all the posts on which oil is considered best for my Strom. I also took the time to read the info on oils and filters at the links many of you kindly provided. There was a ton of info to wade through.
Anyway, to make a long story short, today I changed my oil using Shell Rotella T 15W-40 and a Suzuki filter. Only went for a short ride and didn't really notice any difference, except there if a lot less 'clunk' going into 1st gear - that alone makes the change worthwhile.
Prior to this I was using Motorex 4T Formula semi-synthetic (Swiss make) @ $35 for a 4 litre jug - the Rotella was $14!!
So far, I'm happy :lol:

Al

S

·
0 Posts
Al, Good choice. And if you like the Rotella, next time spring for the Rotella T synthetic, the VStrom likes that stuff even better - I know, I've tried both.

·
Registered
139 Posts
soboy said:
Al, Good choice. And if you like the Rotella, next time spring for the Rotella T synthetic, the VStrom likes that stuff even better - I know, I've tried both.
And it's STILL cheaper than Mobil 1 or "motorcycle" synthetic.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Now that I have over 3000 miles on my bike, that's my next step. I didn't want to run syn until the break in period was over. With a 4000+ mile trip coming up with no oil changes planned, syn is probably a good idea along with a new filter.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I run Johnson's Baby Oil.. (It's not made of babies) or olive oil (it IS made of olives)... :wink:

I've been thinking about Rotella.. It's been a while since I had a bike that didn't have seperate lube for the gearbox, (former BMW rider) so Rotella looks like a good plan, and it's available EVERYWHERE.. Also a good thing..

I kicked around running bacon drippings, but I figured nobody would leave my bike alone.. :lol:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Mmmmm! Bacon! You ride lead.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Getting back to the original subject :lol:

It just gets better! Approx 300kms (180 miles) later, the engine SEEMS quieter and shifting is soooooo smooth. This bike has been a pleasure to ride since new (none of the slow speed stumbling and farting I've read about on US bikes) and I'd learned to live with the 'clunky' transmission.
I'm a happy camper :D

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have been running Rotell T 15 40 in my 2002 DL 1000 for the last 12,000 of my 18,000 miles. Shifts are smoother and oil is easy to find.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
I saw it at our local Cajun Tire on the weekend (when I was looking fruitlessly for the Mobil-1 that was supposed to be on-sale according to the weekend flyer).

It was over by the tranny fluids in our store so it would have been easy to miss. Maybe it's the same at your store.

- Martin

·
Registered
139 Posts
lajaro said:
I've been looking for Rotella up here in Canada - WalMart used to have it on their shelves, but no more. Don't think Scrappy Tire has it either.

Where can a strommer go?
Try a truck stop and/or any heavy equipment supplier.

·
Registered
24 Posts
alternatives to Rotella

Other oils are formulated very similar to Rotella. These include Chevron 'Delo' oil, and Citgo 'Mystic' in 15w40. Also, Pennzoil makes a heavy-duty commercial truck-type oil. Lastly, if you have a NAPA store nearby, the NAPA brand 'Fleetguard' oils are formulated by Valvoline for commercial use and have a very robust additive package.

As per my 'sources' - I have worked in the petroleum industry for many years and attended a number of lubrication-technology seminars and classes.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Let me start by saying that I really like Rotella Synthetic. I've used it in cars, trucks and bikes. In fact, I've used it primarily in my CBR1100XX and it's got 50K on it now. The hired Wrench that did the valves in the XX this Spring was very impressed with how clean everything looked with the higher mileage. It is good stuff.

I just went to synthetic on my Wee at 2800 miles and I used the Rotella Synthetic. Much to my dismay I noticed right away that the shifting was a more clunky than the Suzuki 10W/40 Dino oil i was using.

I'm not going to rush out and remove it from my bike but I'm pretty sure at 5K i'll switch to Mobil 1 MX4T.

I noticed my XX shifted a little more clunky with the Shell but the difference was not as pronounced as it is with the Wee. Do I think the Shell will cause any problems with the Wee? The answer would be "No" but I'd like it to shift a little smoother.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Rotella oil

I've always been under the impression that we couldn't use synthetis in our Stroms. I use Valvoline motorcycle specific oil. $4.00 per qt. Is the Shell we're talking about here automotive 15w40, or motorcycle specifiic? Thanks. - Rob

2006 DL650.
2003 VL800 Suzuki Volusia (for sale)

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
rob

Rotella T synthetic 5w-40 yes it works very well in motorcycles, it is sold as a truck oil and its primary use is in diesel engines. It lacks the friction modifiers used in some car specific synthetics so it will not harm your clutch.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think that the biggest reason to be wary of the Rotella is the wide viscosity 5w40. A 5w40 would indicate that it has higher amounts of Viscosity Index Improvers (VII's). VII's have a tendency to shear faster than oils that have little or no VII's.

If you are running the stuff for relatively short drains (say 3,000) or so you should have no problems. Running longer drains would probably affect shifting. This is where you will notice the viscosity breakdown first.

I personally like running closer multi-vis oils like 15w40 or 10w40. These seem to hold up better.

BTW. Synthetics are perfectly fine for using in a Motorcycle. As long as it carries the JASO MA spec you are fine.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
I just went to synthetic on my Wee at 2800 miles and I used the Rotella Synthetic. Much to my dismay I noticed right away that the shifting was a more clunky than the Suzuki 10W/40 Dino oil i was using.
This is my experience too. Only a minor difference, but fur-sure not as smooth as before. Next earl change I'm gonna try a semi-synthetic oil.

BTW. I discovered this in my KTM RFS dirt bike. KTM recommends only full synthetic, but I discovered it liked semi or even dino oil far better.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts