StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning a solo, long distance, back roads, trip on my DL1K. I do not have an aux fuel tank. I'd like to carry a couple gallons of extra gas -- just in case. I may never need it, but just for peace of mind it would be nice to have available. What is the preferred safe way to carry it? Multiple MSR bottles? A gasoline-specific plastic can? I'll have my Givi side and top bags on during the ride, so securing the cargo will be a point of consideration too.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
You can use the MSR fuel bottles, or do a Google search for peg Packers, they are pretty cool.

There are also rotopax, or kolpin makes a cheaper version. If you Google rotopax you'll see what I mean. Sorry I can't paste links and pictures since I'm from my phone. If I get a chance I'll put some links in later.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
How many "extra miles" do you want to go, Yarz......that will determine the size of your container. You mentioned extra gallons.....that would be an additional 60-80 miles??? Are you going somewhere THAT remote.....no gas for another 80 miles?? Just asking. Best Rest Products has a gallon jug holder, but some have commented that it is a crappy design. try doing a SEARCH in the Google search box, top/middle of page......maybe use "Spare Gas container" and see what pops up. It has been discussed here before and I know there is good info buried in the forum if you can find it again......:thumbup:
mark444

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I've used the MSR fuel bottles but, they don't hold enough. I rather just use a RotoPax like this: 1 Gallon Fuel Packs : Gasoline Containers : RotopaX.com

Depending on where you ride you may use one. I've almost ran out of fuel in southern Utah. Koplin has small flat plastic fuel cans also. You can mount them in various ways, ob crash bars, just in front of a top box above the seat, hang them off a wide rear rack etc..

I put them on my DR650 before I got the safari tank and I put two on my KTM 950 bolted to the hard luggage. I figure I may put a gallon or two on my DL1000, probably on a left crash bar. Fill it up only when I know its needed, like when I want to go across Glenn Canyon at night again. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
In Canada and Alaska there are roads 200 miles between stop

Mine could make it but just barely so an extra 60 miles would be nice

·
Registered
236 Posts
x-tra gas

I carry 2 msr bottles. I use tubes mounted to the bottom of panniers. It provides me with 60 ml's of gas. I have posted a pick for you.

Attachments

·
Registered
720 Posts
In Canada and Alaska there are roads 200 miles between stop

Mine could make it but just barely so an extra 60 miles would be nice
Will be traveling and camping along the James Bay road in northern Quebec next summer. There is one section 381km (237 miles) between fuel stations. I should be able to make that distance, but will be loaded down, frequent stops and maybe a headwind, so will bring along a one gallon rotopax and fill it prior to this section mainly for peace of mind. Unless traveling way up north, extra fuel not needed in US or Canada.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I've bought a 1.75 gal Rotopax in prep for riding to Radisson. Secure it to topbox carrier and then load a large drybag duffel on top of it.

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
My MSR bottle......and water bottle.......carrier. I like it down low on the bike, protected from a fall-over by the metal rear panniers. I have a 1.5 Liter MSR bottle that I may use to replace these two at this location on the bike if I ever take my Dream Trip to Alaska someday.

·
Administrator
17,396 Posts
Anything less than a gallon makes little sense to me, so the Rotopax or similar is the only way to go in most cases. There are some nice ways to mount the Rotopax to aluminum panniers, and I will be buying 2 when I do the Trans Labrador Highway.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I carry 1 ea. Koplin on top of each box. Tried MSR, but they are really small.

Not sure where some of these folks live. Where I'm from, I can ride for a few days and not see another sole, let alone a gas station.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
399 Posts

My Rotopax setup. They're 2 Gallons each. Which gives me an extra 300km if needed. As an added bonus, they scare the crap out of the cagers. Balance is good and I haven't noticed any difference in handling when full. Even in some difficult off road sections like sand and very loose gravel.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Great setup there! Given that I've had the strangest things fail, how did you do the mounts? (Silicone?) Also, I've tried to keep my fuel inboard since I've taken to riding old creekbeds and the like. (Typically, that means that it's a 50:50 call that the bike's gonna take a power nap. Any experience with that on your setup?)

·
Registered
15,542 Posts
I did the $5 gas can but also got a 10 dollar tool bag from Sears to disguise it from sticky fingers. Rotopax are a so much more elegant solution.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lots of great info. Thanks. The more I read and learn, the more questions I have, too. I wonder if is there a Safari tank for a DL1000? I've not seen one on their web site or anywhere yet. Since my side bags are Givi 36's, mounting on or outside of them as pictured above probably is not an option. Can the Rotopax and Koplin tanks be carried in a flat position and still not leak? That is, could I design a flat plate across the passenger portion of my seat, lay them down, and secure them in place? Sure, an aux tank would be the cat's meow, but I'm not there yet cash-wise.

·
Administrator
17,396 Posts
Lots of great info. Thanks. The more I read and learn, the more questions I have, too. I wonder if is there a Safari tank for a DL1000? I've not seen one on their web site or anywhere yet. Since my side bags are Givi 36's, mounting on or outside of them as pictured above probably is not an option. Can the Rotopax and Koplin tanks be carried in a flat position and still not leak? That is, could I design a flat plate across the passenger portion of my seat, lay them down, and secure them in place? Sure, an aux tank would be the cat's meow, but I'm not there yet cash-wise.

ABSOLUTELY......that is the most popular way to carry them, and there are also mounting kits for them as well.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts