StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking all over for a 25± foot 1" tow strap with looped ends to carry on the bike but I'm Googled out. I have a 2" one with the metal hooks from Harbor Freight that I carry in the car, but the 1" ones seem elusive or too damn expensive. Does anyone carry a tow strap AKA rescue strap? Obviously, it doesn't need to be rated for 10,000 pounds. I saw a DS rider on YouTube rescue a small drowning cow from a canal once using one and it piqued my interest. I can see the usefulness of it, especially in the woods or waterways.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I am not sure that towing is very safe, but can be done in extreme situations. Also, I would not carry a strap to rescue a stranded bovine at risk to my bike or myself.

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not plan on towing anything with the bike or strap; that was not the intent. It was be used to tie off the crash bars to use for rider assistance, emergency or something like that.

AmagezaGautengSavingCalf_Short - YouTube

·
Registered
1,273 Posts

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I always carry webbed straps under my seat for securing stuff to my ride and have joined them together to use as a tow rope.

This way they have a multi purpose.

They can even be used to secure a flat tyre onto a rim so you can ride out of trouble or as a bike lift to remove a wheel.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
towing, if done smartly, is perfectly safe. i carry a 15' tow strap

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I always carry webbed straps under my seat for securing stuff to my ride and have joined them together to use as a tow rope.

This way they have a multi purpose.

They can even be used to secure a flat tyre onto a rim so you can ride out of trouble or as a bike lift to remove a wheel.
I like that idea! Thanks!

·
Registered
714 Posts
I carry a 3/4" nylon strap in my pannier and it's come in handy a couple times through the years to get a stranded bike back into town. I picked it up at Home Depot if I remember right where it started life as a 20' band clamp used in woodworking for gluing up furniture. Just cut off the screw clamp.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
I always carry a tow strap.. It helps in the recovery of narcoleptic baggers and land yachts I often find tipped over and sleeping on their sides while out on the road.

·
Registered
18 Posts
G,Day all, although I have never done it my self if read of one bloke in Australia towing his mate several hundred kilometres by tying a rope to his bike then the rope was attached to the towed bike by wrapping the rope (I think only one turn )around the foot peg and holding it with his foot if any thing went wrong it is only a matter of lifting your foot and the bike is then detached . Worth a go
Regards Paul

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
G,Day all, although I have never done it my self if read of one bloke in Australia towing his mate several hundred kilometres by tying a rope to his bike then the rope was attached to the towed bike by wrapping the rope (I think only one turn )around the foot peg and holding it with his foot if any thing went wrong it is only a matter of lifting your foot and the bike is then detached . Worth a go
Regards Paul
That was how my dad showed me to do it when I was a little tacker but we put it around the foot peg on both bikes so both could stop the tow if they felt the need to, just keep the bikes a a good angle so the tyres don't get involved.

·
Registered
6,665 Posts
Marine

1 inch is ridiculous overkill

I have towed bikes with 3/8 regular rope

Halyard Line is super strong a nd 1/4 inch would be fine 50 feet

Some sort of controlled slip to avoid disaster also going down hill rear bike provides all but emergency braking

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I like the strap idea better... I think it rolls up tighter and smaller than rope does. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
The good thing about rope is it works with pulleys. That combination could be helpful to get a bike out of a ditch, especially if you're solo or with just one other person.

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Straps work with ratchets... much easier than pulling something via a pulley :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Straps work with ratchets... much easier than pulling something via a pulley :)
Thats my technique.. Tow strap plus ratchet strap gives me best of both worlds.

·
Registered
158 Posts
One more item to add to the tool kit list. I don't carry a tow strap, but I always carry a pair of tie-downs. If your bike is really broken down, it's always possible to find a good soul with a pickup truck to give your broken down bike a ride to town. But if you don't have tie-downs, it could lead to more damage by the time the bike gets there. I've only had to use this a couple of times on long trips (never my bike, luckily), but it really helps, especially when you are miles from civilization down some dirt road where a tow-truck can't get to you.

Gustavo

·
Registered
480 Posts
I usually have 50 feet of 2500 pound test mule tape under my seat, but have yet to use it for anything other than a clothes line. I use it all the time on a truck to tie down pipe or lumber. It takes knots well! The downside for towing is it doesn't stretch.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts