StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
$tromTrooper
1,741 Posts
I only wish light tackle was my challenge in getting to my favorite holes....but......

Yep, I float and drown flies.

Therefore, I have to haul waders and all the other associated tackle. Fortunately for me, I have some Givi boxes and most importantly, I have a rod that breaks down into a reasonable, 2.5 ft rod case. For the rod, I have a couple of lightweight, small bungies and I strap the rod case across the pillion. The rest of my gear goes in the cases.

I will say that I see a lot of fishermen riding on KLR's or the like and simply have a rod case with a carry strap looped around their shoulder and chest....and then their tackle box is strapped to the back rack.

Basically put, a rod case is probably your best bet and a back box is priceless.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Actually a riding buddy of mine just showed me a portable rod and reel kit his wife bought him (Bass Pro?). Any way, it came in a small padded case probably 2" x 8" x 13" so it would fit in almost any bag or box. He said it was $35. The rod was slick, it was 7 pcs., and it was 7' long but it was light action and came with a spinning reel.

I'm getting one for sure.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Ah Yes Fishing

Check with the following merchandizers:
Bass Pro
Gander Mountain
REI
Dicks

I got a complete ultra light kit in a box for Xmas last year. I believe my bro got it for me from Gander Mountain, but not sure. Check around those stores I promise you will find something that fits your needs.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
If you look on the seat you'll see the little ultralight shakespeare that came from bass pro. I keep a small wallet sized tackle box and my waders in the side bags.

Works great!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I have to get me one of those rods! I have been thinking about those lately. We have some beautiful native Brookies nearby. I saw a great stream with lots of deep pools up near Belvedere, VT that looked very promising too.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I carry one. It is a Daiwa that comes apart and stows in its case which is about the size of three pop cans stacked on top of one another. It is perfect for the bike. The case opens up like a bread box, and inside there are compartments for my various types of lures depending on the type of use I need. I saw a very similar setup at Bass Pro shop if you are interested.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
I've recently got gear from
http://www.psfishing.com/
They have some nice telescopic poles - carbon fiber, titanium eyes, cork handle - and a well designed back pack too. Insulated water proof compartment zips on the bottom for bait or carrying fish home. Pockets and velcro strap for rods and a net on the outside. I also got the S-pro Stowaway collapsible net, about 16" x 3" when folded, at another site. I have them about two weeks but haven't tried them yet. Look very promising. A little pricey.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I use a Wolfman Beta Tail Bag that holds my 5 piece fly rod and all my other fishing gear: Waders, Boots, Vest, Hat, etc.

·
Registered
20 Posts
fishing rod tube

Here is a fishing rod tube I recently installed on my Wee. It is a 33" piece of 2" diameter ABS. end cap on lower end and a clean out with strap attached on the top end. It holds my nine foot 4 piece fly rod.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Okuma make a nice travel rod called the Okuma Voyager for around 40.00. Its about 6' so good for smallies and bass fishing, the bag is great as it has a zipper and also hold your small tackle box.
The rod is a little heavy for smaller finese type trout fishing though, typical of northeastern streams. The kit fits very nice into a pannier and is full encased in a semi dense foam. For sammler trout rods such as ultra lights, I typically put the 2 piece rod into one of my fly rod case and cinch it down with rock straps on the rear rack. I would not carry a rod on the strom unprotected. But thats just me.

Here is the Voyager.....

Funny thing I saw this thread today as we got 4" of rain last night, I went out late last evening but ended up at the headwaters casue it was jsut too swift to safely wade, returned this morn ..in the water by 6 and 2 miles from the nearest fire road gate on the mountian bike...after burying a #2 vibramax treble hook into my knuckle, requiring a fillet kn ife removal tactic I learned 2 years ago (Don't ask..spider wire requires ya pull harder), I landed about 6 nice brookies...it was worth it. Wore my Oneal superfreak shorts, my neoprene Boots from NRS and neoprene gaiters...The rasbury brambles tore me up some, but it was still very comfortable . The waders would have been hotter than hell. Packed in a nice lunch and had a great morn...saw some bear scat about the size of a coke can.

2 miles in lead me here.

·
Registered
290 Posts
My 4 piece fly rod tube is under my left pipe.. Gold cap..

·
Registered
88 Posts
Now, on the V-strom...the left side tube lives on the bike permanently, it is lockable and carries up to 3 four piece fly rods. The tube on the left is also lockable and carries up to 5 two piece fly rods. The left side installs and removes using two nuts in less than 5 minutes.

This time of year, I prefer to "wet wade" whenever possible using neoprene wading socks which have a built in gravel guard for the wading boots, waders when it is colder. In the top box sits 6 fly boxes, so I have choices, wading staff and belt, WJ chest pack, wading boots, and the socks/waders. When I pull out the fishing gear, the tank bag goes in the top box.

Much of our work these days is in bamboo, and I prefer to fish it whenever possible, but I can never keep a 3 piece bamboo rod around (which would fit in the white tube), so I use the 2 piece demos...hence, the need for the longer tube.

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
Lots of good info here. I carry a couple rods (wrapped in a towel) in my ammo cans that break down into several sections. The thing I don't like is that the rods are a little too soft. Next time I'll spring for better quality and get a rod that has faster action and a little more backbone.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
rod holder

I use a cut down Plano solid (non-adjustable) rod tube (about 3.5" diam), and mounted to LHS via hose clamps on Give rack and passenger foot peg bracket. It's sized to length to house: a 6-6 Ugly Stick lite spinning rod (4 pc) and a Browning 5 piece 9 ft 6wt fly rod. I pack the reels separately in a small soft sided cooler bag for lunch and tackle. Waders and boots in the top trunk.

When not fishing, it houses the tent poles and ground sheet (wrapped) for my tent.

Safe rides

·
Registered
145 Posts
I just fabbed up a quickie rod holder this afternoon. It should work OK till I can get a four piece rod. Just simple 24" length of 2" PVC tube with an end cap attached to the foot peg and HT rack. I'll run a bungee through the strap:

Perspective is a little weird on this one:

Here's a better picture:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts