Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have issues w/ the Caribou being further
back than other panniers?

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
I have no complaints about my Caribou. Best bags I have ever bought.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have no complaints about my Caribou. Best bags I have ever bought.
+1 to that. I wouldn't buy anything else for the strom. The setback actually makes them vastly superior for passenger comfort.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ditto that,

Like how they mount, missus rides with me lots, and no complaints about any crowding from the side cases, actually she uses the handles on them as grabs when riding. Recently added the "toolbox" to the blank area on the non exhaust side of the wee..nicely hidden extra space for a puncture kit, and some allens, and wrenches. Now if the GIVI topbox replacement for the JC Whitney one the bike came with will just show

Attachments

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
I have thought about the possibility of improving laden, solo handling by moving the luggage forward.

Given that my welding has the appearance of fenceposts beshat by large waterfowl, I have abandoned this folly.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got my Caribous this week and ready to roll....:)

Thanks to all

·
Registered
3 Posts
We used the caribou system on our wee stroms on the TransLab two weeks ago. Worked perfectly....no problems. I highly recommend the system. Girlfriend's wee strom toppled over, at a stop, due to a sudden gust of wind catching her unprepared. Slight scratches on the corner of the left case not noticable unless you know they're there. No problems whatsoever with the bag system mounting position.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
I have the Caribou case setup, and really like it. I also got the Cee Baily inner bags which makes the cases more user friendly. The bike has tipped over a couple of times in high winds onto it's right side - off of the side stand. First time it bent and cracked the bracket - I had it straightened, welded and reinforced. 2nd time it bent and cracked again, this time at the bracket joint above the one that had been gusseted. I was at the last few days of a 5,000 mile trip at the time and just used a tire iron and some very heavy zip ties to get it home. Need to get it welded again. Roger from Caribou told me he'd get me replacements at cost to repair the damage. The latch that attaches the case to the bracket was also bent. I haven't heard of any others having problems like this with the brackets being damaged in a drop, but it's the second time for me. you should be able to see the wedge-shaped gusset/reinforcement just above the passenger footpeg, and the tire-iron temp fix.

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p431/phineustphubar/IMG_1975.jpg

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p431/phineustphubar/IMG_1971.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
I put caribous on mine after much deliberation out here in the boondocks. Never had gotten to see any luggage at all in person. Can't imagine a better setup.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts