StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the luggage comparison threads.....

am I missing a discussion on the merits of the quick release designs / mechisms for Caribou vs the Twisted Throttle kit for side bags?

If so, a pointer would be great.

If not, has anyone been able to play with both designs enough to have a recommendation?

Thanks...

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
The Caribou racks are bolted to the bike, but the bags come off easily. The SW Motech racks from Twisted Throttle can be partially removed with a quick-lock system.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Just to clarify, there are "quick-release" racks AND quick-release cases.

The most basic and least expensive Pelican-based case system would consist of a rack that is permanently mounted to the bike with Pelican cases that are permanently bolted onto the racks. Both the rack and cases stay on the bike (unless you want to unbolt everything)

Another option is to use the same permanently mounted racks, but use a quick release system to remove the cases. This is how the standard Caribou system is set up. The Caribou rack stays on the bike, but the cases are removable using their own quick release mechanism.

You can also accomplish the same thing with other racks like the Givi or SW-Motech and use the Twisted Throttle quick-release kit. I think the quick-release mechanisms are fairly similar for both, so if your choice is based solely on the release mechanism, I think it's a toss-up.

Finally, you could also have BOTH removable racks AND removable cases. This is what I prefer and how I set mine up. AFAIK, you can only do this with a Givi or SW-Motech removable rack combined with the Twisted Throttle quick release case kit. As soon as I say that, somebody will correct me. But if we're talking about a Pelican case type of system, this is the only way I know how to have both removable (unless Caribou has now made one)

I originally chose to set mine up with Storm cases (now made by Pelican) permanently mounted to SW-Motech quick release racks. When I wanted to remove the cases, I simply removed the quick release rack and the cases came off with the rack portion still attached. When the Twisted Throttle kit became available, I bought it the first week it was released. There were some minor fitment issues on my DL650 that I reported back to TT. I corrected the fitment problem on my own, but I notice that TT now offers a kit for the DL650 that eliminates that particular fitment issue.

I now have the ability to easily remove the cases AND/OR the racks and I'm very happy with the setup. The TT kit is not perfect. It is quite heavy and the locks are only so-so. But in the end, I think it's fairly comparable to the Caribou setup for less money, plus I can use it on a removable rack which is a bonus.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Sorry for not being articulate enough....

I was curious about their designs for the quick release cases, not the racks.

Each has a different mechanism designed for their quick release case-- I was wondering if there were opinions -- on the merits of the Caribou (twist lock) vs the relatively new (??) Twisted Throttle (press lock). How each held up over time, vibrations, Etc.

Thanks...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just to clarify, there are "quick-release" racks AND quick-release cases.

Finally, you could also have BOTH removable racks AND removable cases. This is what I prefer and how I set mine up. AFAIK, you can only do this with a Givi or SW-Motech removable rack combined with the Twisted Throttle quick release case kit. As soon as I say that, somebody will correct me. But if we're talking about a Pelican case type of system, this is the only way I know how to have both removable (unless Caribou has now made one)

This is the same functionality that I'm looking for. The SW-Motech removable rack plus removeable cases.

I'm under the impression that Caribou also makes a case that works with the SWM rack, but I could be wrong.

I was shoppping for opinions between the two case set ups-- assuming either would work. I hadn't seen this explicitly discussed -- unless I missed it.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
I have the SW racks with the Caribou Storm cases. Don't know about the Twisted throttle case release but the Caribou has a break away that is rebuildable. I don't have a replacement latch but need to get one. Next thing to. Look at is bow far the latch sticks out from the cases when they are removed.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
another option is the hepco and becker gobi bags. the bags come off with the turn of a key and lifting of a single latch. the racks are bolted on using 1/4 turn bolts and can be removed in a few minutes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for all this information. I just bought a '09 DL1000 and will be getting side luggage as one of my first accessories. Can't live without all the junk I ride around with. Thanks to you guys I have settled on the Caribou/Pelican system. Ease of removal is critical as I do use them as suitcases, but the extra ability to use the handles as passenger grab bars is a real benefit. It shows a 100% faith that Caribou have in their rack/connection system. I've had a case fly off (1986 R65--Krauser case) in the past and it was embarrassing and annoying (didn't get it back for a few months when the farmer who's field the case flew into called me up.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts