StromTrooper banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ya'll. I'm wondering if the 30 bucks for a "carfax" on a motorcycle would give me info on the following? I'm looking at a 2007 V Strom that has been painted and scratches on the engine guards. The Seller purchased it from a pawn shop. The seller is pretty new to riding and has no info. about what happened. The bike has new paint job and different colored front turn signals. It rides fine. Shift well, good smooth acceleration, feels good at 75mph. There is some engine noise, guess it needs a valve adjustment. Has 14K on it. It's just the whole pawn shop thing, scratches and different turn signals kinda give me caution. Any advise, comments, etc... out there.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
I don't think carfax does bikes. I believe there is now a company doing motorcycles called cyclechex, but I don't know much about them.

·
Registered
317 Posts
First off all, unless a motorcycle damage was repaired by an insurance company with brand new replacement panels and such, I really strongly doubt there's any record of a crash history. And since you say this one has been repainted, it obviously wasn't repaired with factory new panels.

And as the other guy said, I don't think Car fax really reports on MC's. You might get some title change history, but that might be it. I wouldn't waste my money on a carfax report.

So, with all that said, the best thing to do is use your best judgement. Small 0 mph drops on the V-strom can easily scratch the side panels and break the blinkers. They are usually the first thing to go in any kind of drop. If it was more of a crash/slide drop, you'd see more stuff damage then just that. Look over other parts of the bike. The handle bar ends, mirrors, foot pegs, back rack. All this can give you clues if a bike has been down, but even then, if it suits your needs it doesn't have to be a deal killer. Repainting is usually a pretty good indicator that it probably had replacement panels, but not 100%. I'm assuming its a not stock color perhaps or how do you know they are repainted?

BTW, valves usually get tighter and quieter as time goes on. 14k is right at the first check interval, so maybe an adjustment is necessary, but I doubt that is what you here. Noises can be a lot of different things and if you are hearing it while riding, it could very well be the chain or other things. Its probably stock chain and might be time to replace. As long as its not metallic and sounding like its about to blow up, the motors are pretty bullet proof on these bikes.

·
Premium Member
2,363 Posts
Casual maintenance.

There are a LOT of things I would pawn before I would pawn my bike.
Of course, other people, in their own pinches, do what they can and must.

Just like you, I can make some guesses. You can see the bike, but I have ridden
my 2006 Wee-Strom almost all its 72000 miles, and it has never disappointed me.

These bikes can easily survive shabby maintenance. If, for example, the oil had never been changed, or even checked, in the first 14,000 miles, I would expect the bike to continue to run fine, but I would expect oil consumption to commence at 30,000 miles instead of about 60,000 miles.

I like the idea of looking at the chain. I take fairly good care of chains, and mine last 22000 miles. Someplace at this site, there is a description of the measurement you make (x links span no more than y inches) to determine if a chain is too worn to use reliably. If the chain seems to have significant life left, then the rider probably looked after that, and perhaps changed the oil at proper intervals. If the chain is near the end of its life, and is carrying lots of filth, then perhaps the rider never touched it. By implication, such a rider might have neglected other issues.

But as I said, the V-Strom is a durable critter, and will flourish if given merely gas and a little bit of lubrication from time to time. If the purchase price is a bargain, then I think you should go for it.

After all, you survived 75 MPH on this bike, so its frame probably is perfectly OK.

Good luck, and look us up when you ride south.
Keith

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I feel a bit better about that bike. lol, it just sold l:mod_lol::mod_lol::mod_lol::mod_lol:
O well, THere is a new one for 7800 out the door and that 0% interest rate sure is calling my name....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts