StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
14,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you are a clutz like me you just might manage to push one the Well-nuts that the windshield screws screw into right into the fairing. After that it disappears.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Didn't your woman ever tell you, "If it don't fit, don't force it?"

I think that the easiest way to do this is to:

Run the bolt into the well nut a couple of threads, start the well nut into the hole and push on the bolt. I haven't tried it yet, but...
It should elongate the well nut thereby thinning it and allow it drop right in.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Exactly right, pull the well nuts out, start the screws into the well nut, push the well nut back into the holes, and tighten. Easy does it, and don't crack the windshield.:thumbup:

·
Registered
418 Posts
On a related note, I've been moving the screen up and down experimenting with the different positions. Today, I found one of the rubber plugs for the unused holes gone - it's probably rolling around on the Sea to Sky highway now.

Be careful with those plugs. If they're not seated correctly, they'll pop out somehow and take a hike while you're riding.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Here's the big question, does it make any difference moving the windshield up? Every comment that I have seen so far says that there is no difference that they can tell. Why even bother? Eventually I am going to get fed up and buy a vario shield as I hate the wind noise:furious:, but I even asked the dealer if moving it up would make a difference and he said that the difference between the top and the middle position is 1", so "No, you will still have wind noise"

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
If you are a clutz like me you just might manage to push one the Well-nuts that the windshield screws screw into right into the fairing. After that it disappears.
I was able to retrieve mine. It doesn't vaporize...

While we're talking about the 2012 screen, I can't wait until bug season and those recessed cups fill up. Bug cups, I'm calling them...

·
Registered
944 Posts
I have my windshield in the highest position. It does feel different than where it was when I got the bike (can't recall how much I moved it).

In the highest position, I am happy with the protection.

Here's the big question, does it make any difference moving the windshield up? Every comment that I have seen so far says that there is no difference that they can tell. Why even bother? Eventually I am going to get fed up and buy a vario shield as I hate the wind noise:furious:, but I even asked the dealer if moving it up would make a difference and he said that the difference between the top and the middle position is 1", so "No, you will still have wind noise"

·
Registered
418 Posts
Here's the big question, does it make any difference moving the windshield up? Every comment that I have seen so far says that there is no difference that they can tell. Why even bother?
For me at 5'7" the middle is noisy but relatively clean. The top directs air right at my helmet, which pushes my head around uncomfortably.

·
Registered
281 Posts
For me at 5'7" the middle is noisy but relatively clean. The top directs air right at my helmet, which pushes my head around uncomfortably.
Hey Snowkarver,

Consider the GIVI AF3101 adjustable windscreen. I posted a few pics under Farkling the 650 Wee. This w/s really does the trick. No buffeting or wind noise issues what so ever. Easily cleans up.

profile pic,

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Damn, I am sure that the Givi shield works great, but it looks like something that was made at a science fair. Has anybody tried the Vario Touring Windscreen from Suzuki? It is only $202.50 ( In Canada), and looks a hell of a lot better

*My girlfriend just looked at that windshield (Givi), and broke out laughing. After, she told me not to dare put that on my bike. Lol, Boss has spoken!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Damn, I am sure that the Givi shield works great, but it looks like something that was made at a science fair. Has anybody tried the Vario Touring Windscreen from Suzuki? It is only $202.50 ( In Canada), and looks a hell of a lot better

*My girlfriend just looked at that windshield (Givi), and broke out laughing. After, she told me not to dare put that on my bike. Lol, Boss has spoken!
I was playing with my vario Suzuki screen today and noticed a huge change when lowering the vario bit during highway riding. It really works well in the highest tilted forward setting.. I have the main screen mounted in the middle position and it works really well for me.. 5'10
I changed the plain screen to this one before riding the bike so I can not comment on how much different it is. I like it!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I was playing with my vario Suzuki screen today and noticed a huge change when lowering the vario bit during highway riding. It really works well in the highest tilted forward setting.. I have the main screen mounted in the middle position and it works really well for me.. 5'10
I changed the plain screen to this one before riding the bike so I can not comment on how much different it is. I like it!
Thanks, once the weather gets nice again, I will try to raise it (not much hope of it doing any good), and then I will probably opt for a Vario screen from Suzuki. What's $202.50, anyways? For me over the years, is cheap for a windscreen.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Thanks, once the weather gets nice again, I will try to raise it (not much hope of it doing any good), and then I will probably opt for a Vario screen from Suzuki. What's $202.50, anyways? For me over the years, is cheap for a windscreen.
Make sure you post a thread of how good the Vario screen is compared to the stock, because i;m also thinking of getting one

·
Registered
5 Posts
The easiest way to reinstall the well nuts is use a little soapy water or spitt and twist them in like it was threaded.

Make sure when installing the caps you pull back on the edge all the way around to verify thats its in flush. If not vibration will pop it out.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I moved mine down to the lowest level. I have a full face helmet and I don't need a brick wall in front of the bike. I was thinking of painting the inside of the shield black too.

I noticed the well nuts are easier to put in without the bolt in them. Don't push real hard when removing the bolts either.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Moving the screen on the 2012 strom

Exactly right, pull the well nuts out, start the screws into the well nut, push the well nut back into the holes, and tighten. Easy does it, and don't crack the windshield.:thumbup:
Thanks all for posting.
I am confused a lot by / a bit nervous about this process, sorry.

I removed the screen by removing the hex-head bolts.
Pulled out the rubber "well nuts"? with my fingers and snipe nosed pliers.
Moved the rubber stoppers, leaving all the uppermost holes free.
Then.
Put the well nuts in the uppermost holes and tried to re-fit the screen by just using the hex-head bolts.
No purchase into the well nuts.
Tried removing well nuts and bolting screen to well nuts by just a thread or two (about one turn) then pushing the screen, force on one hex-head at a time, back onto bike.

Can't get the well nuts to go back in without unscrewing the bolt so the well nut becomes slim again, and don't feel that too much pressure on the hex-head is a good idea.

I take it from your post that you think it should be done the way I feel unable to do it?

Thanks a lot.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts