StromTrooper banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 650 Adventure
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with the 'cheaper' second base kit that doesn't provide the JBL speakers?
I need to rig my wife's street helmet with a base (so I can move her packtalk unit from her dirt to street and back) and I want to make sure I'm not going to set her up with a piece of crap.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
2021 650 Adventure
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
in her offroad helmet, she's got the JBL speaker setup with the 'OEM' packtalk kit.
I'd probably opt for in-helmet speakers for her road helmet.. earbud cords get dangly and I've yet to find a set that don't eventually cause ear pain after a period of time.
I'm just wondering if anyone on here has used the $70 kit on amazon that has the 'non-JBL' speakers and how they compare, OR if anyone has info on where I can find an OEM 2nd helmet kit that has the 45mm JBL speakers. I can get the kit with the 40mm 'lesser' speakers for 80 bucks and then order a set of the JBL 45mm speakers for another 80ish bucks, but that seems ridiculous.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Ah! I wasn't aware of the Amazon kit. My hearing is bad enough that I cannot use the JBL or aftermarket amplified speakers, so have gone the custom earbuds route. Yeah: they hurt after a while. Lubricating them with aloe gel helps.

·
Premium Member
2021 650 Adventure
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, apparently there's 3 flavors of speakers.. 45mm (the JBL), 40mm (not sure what Cardo is using for them) and 32mm (same).

For what it's worth, I've found the speakers to be very directional.. If you have them just a little out of alignment with your ears, the volume drops WAY off.

Interesting tidbit about using Aloe with the earbuds.. it's more of a pressure thing for me that causes an earache/headache after an hour or two.
What brand are you using for the custom fits? That may make a difference.

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Yeah, apparently there's 3 flavors of speakers.. 45mm (the JBL), 40mm (not sure what Cardo is using for them) and 32mm (same).
The 40mm speakers shipped with the Bold and Slim are also JBLs, at least as of now. (See the chart here: Products).

I don't know anything about the second-helmet kits per se, but I have used both the 40mm and the 45mm (both JBL) in the Black and Bold models, and they're both quite good. The 45mm has a bit more bass, but I have to crank them to near-max to hear them through earplugs anyway, so the extra low end response is pointless in my case.

I see that the second-helmet kit for the Bold doesn't specify that they're JBL speakers, but it would be pretty annoying if they're not, considering that's a selling point of the Bold. I'd drop Cardo a note and ask, if it were me. (And let us know what you find out.)

·
Premium Member
2021 650 Adventure
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll be damned.. I just learned something today.
Product Gadget Camera accessory Audio equipment Font

The OEM kit comes with the 40mm speakers (and they are JBL).. the 45mms are an upgrade, apparently.
I'll be damned. The answer was there the whole time.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts