StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Nice! I did the same to the lower peg plastics just like you.. I hate when they get all scuffed up, especially when it comes to resale.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
That looks great. I would love to do my tank and beak sometime, maybe a burntt Orange or kawi Green. It would also add a layer of protection.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
You have me wanting to skip the plasti dip I purchased for those aluminum fairings. That came out really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Done mine when bike was new, not the carbon fibre effect but just plain black wrap. It was great and very resistant. About one year later few bubbles showed up, then few more, and more...
Had to remove it completely and painted it with PlastiDip. This is how it looks now:

·
Registered
48 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
I put some clear vinyl wrap on the back of my tank (where your belt buckle can touch).
The vinyl wrap is doing an excellent job and I will replace it with a new piece shortly.
The manufacturers notes I read advise not leaving it on a painted surface for more than 3 years or the paint may suffer.
I think replacing it at least once a year will avoid this problem.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I used the 3M carbon wrap and it has held up well for about a year now. I am not to tough on it though. Also used the 3M clear paint protector on sides of the tank. Both are easy to work with and offer protection from normal scuffing.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Also used the Rust-Oleum Flexidip for the rear rack and frame. I initially did it to see if I would like it and consider doing something more permanent. I am really surprised it has held up so well.

I have been known to screw-up an easy project but this stuff goes on nicely if you use numerous light coats. One friend even commented that he couldn't believe I took everything apart to have it powder coated. Once he was told to look at it closely he realized what it was.

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
I used the 3M carbon wrap and it has held up well for about a year now. I am not to tough on it though. Also used the 3M clear paint protector on sides of the tank. Both are easy to work with and offer protection from normal scuffing.
Did you wrap your tank in that black? I tried, but the bends in the tank metal were hard to follow. Any tips?

And did you paint the beak? What did you use and how has it held up?

·
Registered
32 Posts
No, my bike is black so no painting the beak or wrapping the tank. You could probably wrap the tank with a lot of patience. A good heat gun and a lot of pulling/stretching helps. I am sure professionals have a way to make those sharp turns but I don't know how. When I wrapped the silver accents on the bags I had to see where the wrap was going to bunch up and make a slight cut to get it to lay down on each side. It wasn't perfect but nobody has noticed it but me.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Also used the Rust-Oleum Flexidip for the rear rack and frame. I initially did it to see if I would like it and consider doing something more permanent. I am really surprised it has held up so well.

I have been known to screw-up an easy project but this stuff goes on nicely if you use numerous light coats. One friend even commented that he couldn't believe I took everything apart to have it powder coated. Once he was told to look at it closely he realized what it was.

As much as I like the carbon wrap I think I'm gonna stick to the plasti dip. That rear rack looks great like that and the sub frame looks great too. Was it very time consuming to remove it and paint it? How did you paint the two, laying down or hanging?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 31 Posts