StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help assessing what I found after taking off the throttle body. Peering down the air intake, I saw some residue sprinkled around the rim of the valves. See pictures below -- sorry, hard to get a good shot down there.

This is on a '06 DL-650, 42k miles, 25% dirt roads, maintained by the book (literally), valve clearance checked every 14k with one minimal adjustment.

So my question is, what is "normal" under these circumstances? Are the valves supposed to be squeaky clean?

And if it's not normal (and here you can tell that my maintenance skills are pretty much limited to reading the service manual), is there any advice as to whether and how to get rid of the stuff and/or avoid further build-up?

Thanks for any help!

FRONT:

REAR:

·
Registered
543 Posts
I'm no expert, but I would venture to say that those are normal deposits as found on an engine w/ 42k on the clock.

Periodic use of Techron may help reduce/eliminate that. Maybe try a deep seafoam treatment to get rid of the accumulation, then run Techron for a tank or two. After 5k, another dose of Techron, then maybe every 10k.

It would probably clean off those valves, but I kinda doubt you'll be in the mood to pull off the throttle bodies again anytime soon to confirm it!

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in soon. Anyhow, good luck!

PS: good pics, by the way!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Looks normal to me. I wouldn't do anything.

·
Registered
537 Posts
those look great for the mileage. put it back together and keep the bugs off the windsheild

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for their feedback. I'll put things back together this weekend -- hopefully next week will see the first riding day of the season when the promised heat wave comes through -- low 40s, that is. ;-)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Some buildup is normal. I have had many engines apart and have seen worse. Don't worry about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts