StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Premium Member
3,443 Posts
I'm used to and prefer the controlled intersections where left turns get advanced light then have to stop not just yield while straight through traffic gets their light. I've noticed for example in the Southern Ontario area many controlled intersections allow left turns when it is deemed safe by the left turner. Scares the crap out of me. This appears to be one of those intersections. Problem is some push it thinking they can make it and others, well they are incapable of judging or seeing or deciding or something. Answer is to control everything through the intersection, left turners get their own light and have to stop not just yield when their advanced green goes away or goes red. Make sense?

· Administrator
15,282 Posts
I'm surprised there appeared to be no or very little braking action by the rider. Car was wrong but it sure looks like it could have been avoided by the driver.

..Tom

· Registered
2,581 Posts
Ridiculous riding. Seriously. The two bikes in front of him had less time to react and they got out of the way. Didn't even sound like he got on the brakes. Also the rider should've recognized the truck waiting to turn left was blocking view of the oncoming left turn lane, so oncoming traffic can not see them coming in that lane. He should have been already slowed down and cautious because of that fact. This dude was day dreaming for sure. I'd like to think the cage was 100% at fault, but I really think the rider could have easily avoided this.

· Registered
31 Posts
Just happened too quick.

I watched the video several times and stopped it at the time the car was first in view and then stopped it again at the time of impact...the time in between: 2 seconds. It may have appeared to some that the third rider had time to react but if the time lapse on the video camera is correct (2 seconds), it would be in my opinion the third rider ended up like most of us would have if we were in his boots. Although I did notice the second rider hit the brakes and steered away, the car was still off to his side. The third rider was only 1 second behind the second rider and in that 1 second, the car was dead in front of him....just my 2 cents though.

· Registered
569 Posts
Is this what "Target Fixation" looks like??
Exactly, sounds like he pulled in the clutch and didn't even let off the throttle.

Of course, if these guys had been riding smart, they would have slowed down when approaching the interestion with that big truck blocking their view. But like many riders, they think "light is green, I can go". :confused:

· Registered
270 Posts
Wow, 8 responses before someone even bothers to express concern for the rider of the accident bike.

I think those of us in North America can take a little lesson from our Aussie friends.

That said, the fact the footage is on youtube indicates the rider of the accident motorcycle survived. If not, the footage would be held by a lawyer to be used in a civil wrongful death suit....

· Registered
969 Posts
First rider swerved to the right to avoid the car. Second rider was right of the first so was close but only missed by a couple of feet. Third rider was on left side of standard staggered position riding and did not expect the car to keep coming after almost hitting the first. The car never stopped rolling. Just kept on plowing its way through the intersection.

· Registered
858 Posts
Wow, 8 responses before someone even bothers to express concern for the rider of the accident bike.
I think that stuff on youtube and other media outlets creates an insulated experience for people.. they just are a little disconnected from the fact that the footage is often not staged. It isnt that we don't have sympathy for other motorcyclists, it's just that it isn't triggered in the way it would be if you were, say, in that gas station parking lot.

First rider swerved to the right to avoid the car. Second rider was right of the first so was close but only missed by a couple of feet. Third rider was on left side of standard staggered position riding and did not expect the car to keep coming after almost hitting the first. The car never stopped rolling. Just kept on plowing its way through the intersection.
Seems like an accurate assessment to me.. and incidentally, although i've never been in an accident personally, i have seen several and been passenger in a couple.. just like the motorcyclist i think that the driver just locked up, brain couldn't process what needed to be done so they just kept on with the default plan. A lot of people have to take a second to make a change in their course, and of course a second is too late..

· Registered
63 Posts
It's easy to armchair these scenarios from a youtube video.

Until it happens to you, (happened to me a month ago) it's hard to actually comprehend just how fast you close on a car that has blocked your intersection, even if you think you were being careful and not going very fast.

· Registered
1,872 Posts
Couple of things I noticed here that led the the crash:

1: False sense of security riding 3rd in line,no adjustment in lane to allow a longer field of view.

2: As others noted, truck blocking view.

3: Never hesitated coming up to intersection.

4: Assumed the driver was going to SEE him....(Hello...anyone there?)

5: Lead driver needs to be able to recognized trouble, I always believed as the lead rider, you can assist those you ride with in safety. (He never slowed as well with limited view)

6: Failed to react, and process the evolving situation, there where numerous red flags leading up to the crash, and should have been easily avoided, leaving just a blurp out of the fullface as he rode by...FYYFF!

For many long time riders, these issues are readily processed over and over during the ride,others have been just lucky, his luck ran out.

2 years ago,I got the bike out on a spring day after a long winter, feeling abit rusty and not in my summer grove I tooled along at 10mph over the speed limit on a sunny day. Running 45 in a 35, I rounded a blind turn, I was huggung the double yellow as it opened up my view due to a steep bank on the inside of the turn....Well to my surprise, a friggin school bus was stopped dead in my lane, about 3/4 through the turn, letting little rugrats off.
I straighten the machine up, grabbed a handfull of front brake and nailed the rear in an instant...I then processed I was not going to be able to stop in time, at the same instant I was processing that, I was looking for an out. Due to my lane of travel on the double yeller, I then saw the swing gate down for oncoming traffic, swung wide of the bus into the oncoming lane, still under braking. I was able to pull off the road about half the bus length.

I think back about the train of thought that took place, access, recogize, and solve, it amazed me how fast I was able to prcess all the information.

This took everybit of about 8 seconds, from the time I saw the bus, until I stopped the machine ( seemed to be less than that, I could not have been more than 35' from the ass of that thing when i first saw it). If I had been on the outside of the turn, I am fairly sure the outcome would have been very different. I do not think the bus stops in the same spot anymore as I am sure the driver was looking at me in the review side mirror. It registered a very firm 8.0 on the sphincter factor

· Registered
297 Posts
I have been riding for two months, I have not been in this type of situation yet but being on a bike I feel I will one day (knock on wood). But one time while running with my wife who was leading we were just before an intersection when the guy slowed down in the right lane and saw my wife (I was only about two feet behind her in the inner position) when from the corner of my eye I saw him try pulling into my lane to get to the far left turning lane (REALLY… it’s called a U-Turn %$&#%^#&*@#*. GET over yourself). I was lucky and he saw me before he took my back end out but I should have been to the far left or sitting back in his view as soon I saw whim slow down). After thinking about that it made me rethink to my MSF class.
Yesterday I was in the right lane passing a group of slower cages in the left lane. This time I took the outside position and watched each driver and the cars actions. I did see one keep looking to her mirrors and edge more to the center. As I got to her she tried to move over, luckily I had a chess game playing in my head and at that point downshift just in case. I went from 40 to 50 before I knew it and was not on the 8 o’clock news.

· Registered
1,407 Posts
Nobie381's use of "chess game playing in my head", is a good choice of words.

Riding is indeed like a chess game, where the board is often almost full, and you are looking at every piece, and trying to think 1, 2 and 3 moves ahead.

In comparison, driving a four-wheeler is more like playing a game of draughts/checkers.

· Registered
1,227 Posts
Is this what "Target Fixation" looks like??
yes this is EXACTLY what Target fixation looks like..... from the fixated POV...... the rider had a ton of time to avoid this, also he should have recognized the fact the large truck hid him from oncoming traffic and taken up a position on the opposite side of the lane he was in, directly behind the second bike....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.