StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone mounted a car stereo and speakers on their bike? If so how did it work out? I would like to cruise down the back roads and listen to FM stereo. Not really interested in earphone things unless its the only practital way.

·
Registered
494 Posts
You know they specifically make stereos for motorcycles right?

Google: motorcycle stereo

You'll be amazed!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Radio

I mounted a car mount and satellite radio receiver on mine. Then I bought an in helmet speaker system for about $50.00 ( There are cheaper ones but sound quality is poor) then added an inexpensive AA battery powered Kangaroo Booster and bingo! Awesome satellite radio on my bike.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
My neighbor has a 1978 yamerha that has a car stereo worked fine until I took him down a rough road and it fell in to his faring.:biggrinjester:

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Has anyone mounted a car stereo and speakers on their bike? If so how did it work out? I would like to cruise down the back roads and listen to FM stereo. Not really interested in earphone things unless its the only practital way.
Harley Davidson has been doing it for years.

I'd bet they're probably still using vacuum tubes in them.

I think I've seen weatherproof cases for car stereos at marine suppliers. Mount that to your handlebars along with some speakers and we can all enjoy Abba with you.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Not alot of room on these bikes to mount them up, but it has been done.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/techy-world-gps-electronics-etc/64655-ext-speakers-mp3.html

I had a small amp and handlebar mount speakers on my cruiser, it was OK for a while, ran an MP3 player through it. On this bike though, hearing it at 35 miles an hour through town isn't what I want, and hearing it at speed on the highway especially with full helmet may not be possible. I put some in helmet speakers in my touring helmet, that just works better for me.

Amazon.com: GSI Quality Motorcycle Stereo System - Pair Of 3" Hi-Fi Speakers With Poweful Amplifier, LED Digital Clock, MP3 Player, USB Charger And FM Radio - All Weather Waterproof: Electronics

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
I'm too busy texting to worry about playing my Liberace and Guy Lombardo CD's.
If you can't be alone with your thoughts, maybe a motorcycle isn't the place for you?

·
Registered
934 Posts
I'm too busy texting to worry about playing my Liberace and Guy Lombardo CD's.
If you can't be alone with your thoughts, maybe a motorcycle isn't the place for you?
I hope that's sarcasm.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Waat? I love me some Frank Sinatra when I'm cruzin' on the highway. But I use my smart phone that has all that stuff...

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Why would anyone want to do that? How would you keep it all weatherproof even if you managed to get it all mounted up and running?.... Just because you can, doesn't mean you should...

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
iPhone/Pod and a good set of helmet speakers is all you need.That way all the people at the bus stop don't have to listen to Frank !!.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Many companies make marine head units (usually has an "M" in the model #) and have an Ipod data/charging cable (many have an "I" in the model #). I replaced our stock HD FLHX had unit with one. Other Co.'s make an interface cable for utilizing hand control features for HD/BMW/Wings and could easly be cut for making your own hand controls. Most have a remote also. The faces are pretty much waterproof even without a cover. The bigist problem would be keeping the rest of the unit out of the weather. A secondary problem would be speakers. Several Co.'s make handle bar speakers but they do not work well. You could get creative mounting your own tough. I have a 500W amp and 4 - 6" speakers in my HD CVO Ultra and mostly use my Ipod interface through the stereo. Can't hear much past 75 or 80 MPH though.
With that said, on our DL's, we bluetooth to our Ipods/Iphones/GPS's. I prefer listening to music from the GPS as it cuts off the music/communication when directions are given or I recieve a phone call. I rarely listen to music on day rides, but occasionly do when we are out on 3K-5K mile trips. Direct wire to some ear buds will give you better quality than bluetoothing but they can be annoying.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
I'm too busy texting to worry about playing my Liberace and Guy Lombardo LP's.
If you can't be alone with your evil thoughts, maybe a motorcycle isn't the place for you?
Fixed it for you.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I had a GR-200 on my '05 Vstrom. Tie wrapped to the handlebars. Am/fm/sw/VHF marine receiver, weatherproof, from Australia. I mostly used it for am radio traffic reports.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the replys. I am now checking into motorcycle stereos.
Thanks, Jeff

·
$Whatever$
1,599 Posts
iPhone/Pod and a good set of helmet speakers is all you need.That way all the people at the bus stop don't have to listen to Frank !!.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
Yep......... I agree...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts