StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife and I got a Garmin GPS for Christmas. It's the car type, not waterproof. I have been using it and like it so much I want one for my bike. It would be especially helpful this weekend for the crabcake ride. Unfortunately, I have to save up for it and can't afford it just yet.

So, in a stroke of genius, I present the car GPS in a tankbag! Hopefully the raincover will keep it nice and dry Saturday B) The manual say the battery will last 8 hours, but I can probably tap into the grip heater plug and get power to my bag. Bonus: the touchscreen still works.

·
$tromTrooper
1,741 Posts
I did the very same thing. I attached my Magellan on the outside of the bag with velcro. As with yours....our battery lasts about 6-8 hours. We do not leave the until on all the time, only when there are navigation challenges. This past fall we did a three day trip and I never charged the unit, only turning it on and off when I needed it.

I also have the parts to wire a power point, but I have not installed it yet.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I couldn't justify a Zumo. Too much $$$$$. I ordered a refurb 2610 from edgegps.com. $189.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did the same with a cheapy GPS I bought - not waterproof.

It can get hard to see with reflections and is a bit of a pain to have to look down to see the screen - but at least I have a GPS ( I can't justify the csot of a waterproof model).

·
Registered
218 Posts
Buy.com has Nuvi 750 for $370 with 4.3 screen and blue tooth.XM roady was $60 for the works.In a tank bag I think it would be fine.

Can anyone offer more suggestions??The 550 is great but no for $1000 w/XM.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Buy.com has Nuvi 750 for $370 with 4.3 screen and blue tooth.XM roady was $60 for the works.In a tank bag I think it would be fine.

Can anyone offer more suggestions??The 550 is great but no for $1000 w/XM.

The 550 is NOT $1000!!!! Due a search and you'll find them from about $630, yes a lot of $$$ but NOT $1000.

The website you listed has a link to one for $590, that's not 1K.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The 550 is NOT $1000!!!! Due a search and you'll find them from about $630, yes a lot of $$$ but NOT $1000.

The website you listed has a link to one for $590, that's not 1K.
That price does not include the XM30 antenna @$272,are we near a $1000 yet?If your price is right I'll talk her into buying.

thanks,
Terry

·
Registered
430 Posts
Man $370 for a Nuvi 750? That's cheap. I see the Zumo online for $529 all the time. That's alot less than $1000. Also, the Nuvi is no good on multi day trips. Have to keep charging the battery. Can't always be near an outlet. I just saw the Nuvi 750 online for $289. I have a Nuvi 680 for the car and I like it alot. The tankbag idea is good as long as you can eliminate glare. Also, I suspect that moisture collecting in there especially when riding in the rain could damage it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts