StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am beefing up my windscreen attachment on my K2 Vee (only two screws to well nuts and a slip in tab hold the Madstad adaptor plate to the cowling).

I can easily add a third screw at the bottom of the adaptor plate and fasten it to the cowling plastic behind it using a well nut. Easy, adds some shock cushion and protects the cowling plastic.

Are there other ideas? I thought about using a weld nut on the rear side of the cowling plastic and some epoxy to hold that in place when I remove the adaptor plate. I can also build up a nut on a large washer and epoxy that to the cowling back side using JB weld.

Any other ideas out there. One problem I found is that weld nuts are hard to find in metric and in small quantities.

Another option is to extend some metal bracketing off the cowling metal frame to back up the plastic and mount the madstad to that extension rather than the plastic only.

Adding captive hardware in general is nice to know, sometimes you want/need to add a fastener to beef up old or broken stuff (where the OEM mounts wore out or broke off).

Creative ideas out there? Let them flow.

thx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,508 Posts
My K2 Vee came to me with a gawdawful huge Lexan contraption bolted to the front.

It was an elaborate assemblage of metal, plastic, scoops, and wings, but it was braced with a bracket protruding through a hole crudely hacked into the plastic behind the windshield.

IIRC, the bracket was secured to a 5mm stud or bolt in front of the instruments. Or maybe it was one of the instrument mount studs... There was also a metal plate that installed in place of the stock windshield.

You can see the rectangular hole behind the windscreen stub here. I sold off the craptastic turbulence generator (it was honestly like having your helmet used as a boxer's speed bag.), bought a stock windscreen on fleaBay, and arrived at this shape after several rounds of scientific turbulence testing.


So anyway, you could do something like that.
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
5,437 Posts
Some pics would be helpful.

We know you know what your talking about, but pictures would help getthe creative thoughts going.

We (Adventuretech) use well nuts in a couple of our products and I would not mind letting a couple go for the price of a stamp (or less) if it would help, but I can't quite envision the problem. Need pictures.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
347 Posts
You know... One of the reasons well-nuts are used to hold on windscreens is that that if for some chance you go over the bars and through the windscreen it breaks off and away, rather then stays firmly put and gores you as your body smashes into it...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was an elaborate assemblage of metal, plastic, scoops, and wings, but it was braced with a bracket protruding through a hole crudely hacked into the plastic behind the windshield.
bw: I got the same square hole hacked into my cowling too! At first I thought it was OEM, some sort of vent.......I looked at it today and saw it was a hack job. LOL

Rick: I will look into pics...never posted pics in the forum yet, but it will help. I have a few M6 well nuts from an old Madstad bracket I had on my first Vee, so I'm good there.

Squish: Good point, one reason I am considering the well nut....vibe control, and as you say, some safety, albeit.....looking at most cruiser windscreens, they are firmly mounted up systems, I guess folks on cruisers don't crash (ha ha).
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top