StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Righto, I finally decided to ride to the tip in June 2012.My question begins with suspension.I really need some experienced off roaders to help me out here.I know that I can raise the rear stock suspension using the lower linkage but does this give me much more of an advantage in the real world.The 650 is pretty low.I'll be carrying my own gear but I'm roughing it and the load will be minimal.I've looked at the front and ther'es no way of raising it that I can see but I'm really searching for some extra clearance here.
Now I've already had the wee in positions that would have some cringing and it hasn't let me down so am I really going to gain much by tinkering.
I'm quite happy to just get on and ride but if anyones done it on a wee and has any tips I would really appeciate it.
Info I'm looking for might include - tyres used good and bad, spares you can't live without, mandatory pit/overnight stops, Old telegraph track suitable for a Wee.
At this stage it looks like I'm travelling with an XR 400,self sufficient ride, possible more bikes but I want to be able to do it solo if the other guy pulls out.If I'm running solo I intend to pretty much stick to the development road but if there's 2 or more of us we intend on doing the telegraph track and a few other diversions.
I'd be greatfull for any info you guys can provide, especially if you've done the trip before.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Do a search. Someone posted recently about his trip to the top, and someone else has modded their suspension and raised it some

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

:thumbup:Thanks for the links and advice. Been talking to my lovely wife and I've talked her into letting me buy an XR400 or DRZ400 specifically for this trip. Had an idea that the dirt bike would be way more fun and with a support vehicle it should be a hoot. And I like my strom on the road not destroyed and me with it. Can't wait until June 2011.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Mate, I lived up at Pormpuraaw in Cape York (western side ) for a few years and worked in Aurukin, Kowanyama and Laura for a while (1990 -1998). It has been some time since I been there but from what I hear the roads are very good now. I did ride a GT 750 to Wiepa once, but mainly did it on a Kwaka KL - several times.
One piece of advice - the wee will do it but pack light

Reyno

1 - 5 of 5 Posts