Strom Trooper banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just putting this here as a placeholder so I have a thread to subscribe to so I don't miss out on any developments!

From the 2013 Fall Peep Show thread people seemed most interested in July for this trip.

:party:

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
NHExplorer,
Pardon my ignorance. Could you give a scenario of the length of time needed for a trip like this. I would love to join fellow Fall Peepers for this one, but need to set aside the time. Not sure if I can take off that much time, but I know nothing yet about the time needed to do this trip. Any insight?:confused:

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
NHExplorer,
Pardon my ignorance. Could you give a scenario of the length of time needed for a trip like this. I would love to join fellow Fall Peepers for this one, but need to set aside the time. Not sure if I can take off that much time, but I know nothing yet about the time needed to do this trip. Any insight?:confused:
I've been to Nova Scotia on the bike 4 times since 2007 -- anywhere from 5 to 9 days. I'd say you need a month to do it right, but 5 days will give you a good taste.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chirosyd - no insight from me. I know as much as you do. Was just putting this here so there's a place to discuss it. Phil seemed to have some good ideas at the Fall Peep Show, so I was kinda hoping he would add something :)

From google maps I can see it's a 11-16 hour ride from me in southeastern NH. So I can count on needing a day and a half to two days to get there depending on route taken, and the same to get home. Then another 2-3 days once up there so for me, it would be roughly 6 or 7 day trip I'm guessing.

I'm just a follower on this one though, I'm not coordinating or organizing anything as I've never been up there before.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Gini and I are interested in this trip. They're still trying to get the ferry running out of Portland. It's supposed to leave Portland at 8pm and arrive in Nova Scotia at 7am. It's one option to save a couple of days travel for those on a short leash.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Gini and I are interested in this trip. They're still trying to get the ferry running out of Portland. It's supposed to leave Portland at 8pm and arrive in Nova Scotia at 7am. It's one option to save a couple of days travel for those on a short leash.
I found that riding around is a LOT quicker than the ferry, and that was a fast ferry, the Cat. I beat it by 3 hours.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Depending on how many want to go, this might be a good trip to split for some that want to ride up and come home early, and those that have more time and might like to stay longer. I have more time than money, so I'd just as soon take the long way around.....Just throwing it out there to think about...........TD

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Whoever goes, may I suggest that you stop for a short visit in Parrsboro NS to the Fundy Geological Museum. You'll learn all you need to understand and appreciate the amazing variety of rocks that you will see during your ride.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
833 Posts
I found that riding around is a LOT quicker than the ferry, and that was a fast ferry, the Cat. I beat it by 3 hours.
Yes but probably by riding about 500 miles of (boring) highway.
I like the idea of night ferry, you can sleep in and save a motel.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Last I heard the Maine to NS ferry was dead. Subsidy funds were nixed by the CA govt. The cat from Bah Habah to Yarmouth is gone.

And while you could ride a bunch of boring slab, you never, ever have to. Rte 1 in New Brunswick sucks moist poutine, but you choose your own routes and times. Once you get into NS that is when the good times begin.

Do not be afraid of the unpaved roads up in the NE corner, they seem to give some of the best scenic views, and of course the ride around Cape Bretton should be done in both directions to be fully appreciated.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I passed through NS last July on my way to Newfoundland and didn't get to visit too much. I will be going for a 2 week trip next June. I really liked what I saw along the Sunrise trail.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Rte 1 in New Brunswick sucks moist poutine

I love picturesque speech. For some reason I envision my motorcycle seat..

Can't wait.. I want to see the Bay of Fundy do it's thing. And maybe see them Big anchovies out in the ocean…… Oh whales, thats right. whales..
Do they still do Whale watching tours?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Went to Cape Breton many times as a kid growing up in Dartmouth. Mom's parents were in Baddeck and dad's parents camped often at Whycocomagh. The wife and I honeymooned at a cabin near Ingonish.

Not much chance of me making it up there on the bike anytime soon, so I'll live vicariously through you guys.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Yes but probably by riding about 500 miles of (boring) highway.
I like the idea of night ferry, you can sleep in and save a motel.
Plenty of backroads and dunno what the new ferry costs, but the old one was just a bit north of $200, rider and bike, Yarmouth to Portland.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts