StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a ride yesterday and had this happen several times....

I'd come to a stop and while slowing down I'm downshifting and by the time I come to a stop I realize that I'm stuck in 3rd gear and not able to shift down any further. Clutch lever is pulled in and I'm pressing down on the shift lever with my foot but it's not changing gears. I've had this happen in neutral on this bike and others, but you just need to let the clutch out and pull back in again and then it will drop into first. But if I try that when it's in 2nd or 3rd gear the bike will stall. So i just took off in 2nd or 3rd or whatever gear I was stuck in and then everything was ok. Do you think this is just my cables needing adjusting or is it something worse?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Did you try rolling the bike slightly back? I have had this happen and this always works for me. It's happened on many bikes before so I found the solution is just never to stop in a higher gear. I use engine braking a lot so they just work together. :p

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
with a little care, you can apply pressure to the shift lever and let the clutch out a hair until the gear snicks without killing the engine. its way better to downshift before stopping though.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I will try what you suggested.
I just about always shift all the way down before stopping. I know one of my stops was an emergency stop.... and i mean REAL emergency, I thought I was gonna lose it, and couldn't get all the way to first in time.
I thought there were some other times where I was not stopped yet and still couldn't get all the way down, but now I can't remember for sure. I'll see what happens on the next ride....

·
Registered
285 Posts
My problem on the 650 was that it did not want to go into gear, can't remeber if it was going up or going down. Was 25,000 miles ago.
It turned out that I was not letting the shift lever bounce back after each shift. I would shift and keep my foot on the shift lever. You have to release all pressure on the shift lever for a split second. I took it to the guys in the shop and they are the ones that told me to do that. I swore to them that I could not be so dumb, but guess what I was.
The other thing I was doing was riding the rear brake. The throw on that thing is almost nil compared to my GS500. My riding buddy mentioned to me that he saw my rear light flicker and I stopped and touched the rotor it was on the really warm side. Since that time no problemo.
Still thinking if I should look at the valves.

·
Registered
852 Posts
d2mini,

I too have noticed that the shifting occasionally 'hangs-up" when downshifting as you come to a stop. The first time it happened, I thought perhaps I did not pick my foot up enough between shifts so I paid more attention. It happened a few days later. I simply let the clutch out part way - into the friction zone - and started to downshift once again.

This happened when my bike was new with less than 1000 miles on it. I have not had it happen since 1500 miles. Might be part of the break-in period.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
mine does that sometimes, when im changing down to quick, agree with greywolf, release clutch slightly till it bites, then pull clutch in and sorted

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mucho grassy ass. I will finesse the clutch into the friction zone next time it happens. Too bad it has rained for the ENTIRE JULY 4th WEEKEND! I even had monday off! :cry: :cry: :cry:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts