StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some history - coming back from a 5500km trip I noticed that when I was stopped or in slow traffic and temp got to 3 bars, air bubbles started to show coming in to the overflow bottle. It got worse as I was nearing home. While driving still showed 2 bars so I kept heading home and after getting home found the fan was not coming on - traced it to the thermocouple.

So, drained coolant below thermocouple switch, replaced, went through procedure in manual for burping cooling system. Also replaced rad cap at same time in the event it wasn't sealing system properly.

After a number of warm/cool runs, checking cooling system and overfill bottle everything looks to be good. However when I get to a stop, bars go to 3, I still see some small air bubbles coming into the overfill bottle.

Check coolant in rad, right up to top. Coolant bottle is right a full line. When I'm riding bike cools down to show 2 bars in normal amount of time. When stopped and bike reaches 3 bars, after about 1min the little bubbles show up again, but seem to stop when fan comes on.

Any ideas? At winter nap time for the bike I'll drain the system fully and refill.

Unless there's any alarm bells sounded I'm just going to keep riding over the next few weeks. Don't want to do it while great weather is still here.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Two bars most of the time and three bars when not moving in warm weather is normal for a DL1000. I wouldn't be concerned unless the coolant in the reservoir got low.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts