StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was wondering what you guys do to improve helmet shield visibility when riding in rain....does "rain x" work on shield? or some other form of wax?
thumb squeegee is "ok",but is there anything better?
thanks

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Depending on your shield, Rain-X can be very damaging. The best thing I've found is Plexus plastic cleaner/polish. It cleans off the bugs and grime, leaves a nice slick surface, and it won't damage coatings (iridium, anti-fog, UV) on your face shield. It also works well for cleaning and polishing your entire helmet and bike.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
There's this stuff called "Raincoat". Aerostich is carrying it but I imagine you can find it other places. It's made specially for motorcycle faceshields.

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
+1 for Plexus. I use it to clean the whole bike and my luggage. Once you apply it, it makes cleaning much easier the next time. As warhammer says, it's great for helmets and visors. The water beads and runs off and I've never had my visor fog up. It can be a bit expensive, but it's worth it.

SS

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Plexus is great stuff, I use it all the time. If you're ridding in VERY heavy rain, opening your shield a little bit also helps, use it like a visor. BB

·
Registered
25 Posts
crap

Hi guys

I use plexus too, it's good stuff. Also use cat crap for anti fogging but this really needs o be applied for every ride. Not only that, it's brown and really stinks - just joking, but it really is called cat crap.

cheers
Peter

·
Registered
82 Posts
My dad used to cut a potato in half and smear it over his car windscreen when he blew the motor out on his wipers. He says this was a popular trick many decades ago. Must be something in the potato juice that stops water 'sticking'. Who's gunna be the first to try this out on a visor?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Plexus here. A little pricey but works great. Cleans and waxes out little scratches in the plastics. Use a soft clean towel or a cut up cotton shirt. Paper towels will scratch.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
if the road is tricky i lift up the shield and use the human eyeball
I'll flip up the shield and use sunglasses, or clear safety glasses.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
I'll flip up the shield and use sunglasses, or clear safety glasses.
My sunglasses got just as obscured by rain as my shield so I had to impement the eyeball solution.
Thanks for letting us know that Rain-X is not adivsed. I asked my dealer about Plexus and he said to just use the Honda Clean and Polish.

R.I.P. (Retire In Peace, thanks for the great ride.)

·
Registered
116 Posts
I asked my dealer about Plexus and he said to just use the Honda Clean and Polish.
Is this a Honda dealership? or even a dealership that carries Honda clean and polish but not plexus?

Most dealers will tell you to use urine instead of gas if that's what they have in stock. Not saying it is the case with your guy but just be aware most are not watching out for you.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Does Plexus prevent fogging?
Plexus is not advertised as "anti-fog," but it does help. The cleaner your shield, the less fogging you'll have.

... I asked my dealer about Plexus and he said to just use the Honda Clean and Polish.
I don't know... Honda Clean & Polish might not be compatible with a your Suzuki windscreen. I bet your local Suzuki shop has something even better! ;)

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Most dealers will tell you to use urine instead of gas if that's what they have in stock.
I will be sending you the bill, sir, for the siphoning of V-8 vegatable juice from my septum.

Rain X worked almost as good as the aforementioned uirine.

·
Registered
64 Posts
for fogging, use regular dishsoap on the inside of the visor. rinse it 90% off or so, this will help a lot with fogging. honda polish or its equivalent on the outside helps.

or a set of gloves with a wiper on the left index finger like these.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...=80006&zmam=88421133&zmas=1&zmac=9&zmap=10911

I had a pair of Alpinestars gloves with one. worked great till I crashed in them. gloves fell apart, but protected my hands.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
I don't know... Honda Clean & Polish might not be compatible with a your Suzuki windscreen. I bet your local Suzuki shop has something even better! ;)
Is this a Honda dealership? or even a dealership that carries Honda clean and polish but not plexus?

Most dealers will tell you to use urine instead of gas if that's what they have in stock. Not saying it is the case with your guy but just be aware most are not watching out for you.
It was the shop guy at my SUZUKI dealer (he had other brands as well). He cleaned some label goo off my front fender. I had asked him about plexus for the windscreen. He rides a Vee. The Honda polish is what they call it, it's not sold by Honda any more but it's the same stuff. I forget the name, it's in this forum somewhere but I'm too lazy to go look. Didn't get enough sleep last night.

All right, here it is:
http://www.stromtrooper.com/showthread.php?t=40231
http://www.stromtrooper.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33336

1 - 20 of 21 Posts