StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this sucks! Finally made up my mind that the 650 Vstrom is the bike I want, but now they are nowhere to be found (at least, not in Texas). Even got a dealer to accept a very good bid from me, but they cannot locate a standard version anywhere. :headbang:

There seems to be a few of the Adventure models around, but I don't really care for saddlebags, ect. and certainly don't think they are worth an extra $2K. They are telling me they are only allocated so many bikes, and after that, I'm just out of luck. Pretty lousy sales manuver by Suzuki! Sold out before June?!! :confused:

Sure seems they would want to make another batch if they are selling that well.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,349 Posts
The old A J Foyt Dealer north of Houston on 45 ( now called mancuso powersports north (?) ) was supposed to have a standard in stock last Tuesday. Picked up my permanent plates there Tuesday and a guy was there to look at it............

·
Registered
438 Posts
Well this sucks! Finally made up my mind that the 650 Vstrom is the bike I want, but now they are nowhere to be found ...

... but I don't really want an Adventure.

Pretty lousy sales manuver by Suzuki! Sold out before June?!! :confused:

Sure seems they would want to make another batch if they are selling that well.
There are more coming for sure from what I understand. More & more dealers are starting to say very soon as well. 0% financing has been extended again.

I know of a smokin' deal on one in GA. If you are interested, PM me.

You may want to try cycle trader as a means for locating one close by. These are w/in 400 miles.

Cycletrader.com -- Stroms near Houston

Yes, it is very bad for Suzuki's sales to not be able to meet demand on the new vStrom. Apparently, Canada has bunches.

Hang in there, I was looking all over 4 several states and getting frustrated. I was about to head to GA to get one, but then I managed to find an awesome deal just 400miles away! There are some around, it just takes a fair bit of leg work to find em.

good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you're willing to make a road trip, Cycle Center in Denton (north of Dallas/Ft Worth) had a couple when I picked up my plates last weekend.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope, neither Mancuso, nor Cycle Center have any. Those listed on Cycle Trader aren't true either; I checked a few. Even had a salesman check on Suzuki's dealer network.. nada! Suzuki is shooting themselves in the foot on this one, and will be loosing a lot of sales because of it. Wish that new Honda would hurry up and get here...

·
Registered
438 Posts
Wish that new Honda would hurry up and get here...
What new Honda? Not the NC700X? You don't want one of those. They only have 46 hp or something.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Keep yer pants on, one will show up. Just keep at it. Dude just got one for $7k used with 36 miles on it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I found that searching on the internet was the worst way to find a v-strom. Every cycle trader listing proved to be false, while a call to a store that didn't show having one in stock often proved to be false as well. I was set to drive 100 miles to buy an ADV at full retail when I found one sitting at a dealership I didn't know about less then 20 miles away for much less.

It shouldn't be surprising to learn that motorcycle dealerships aren't staffed with the most IT savvy folks. Your best bet is to just stick to phone calls. Your only question should be "Do you have X in stock or in your warehouse?"

If the answer is no, move on. I didn't find a single dealer that would actually call back when promised, nor have I found a dealer that had any idea what stock they were getting anytime in the future.

Your mileage may vary.

EDIT: Also, I spoke with two different dealerships that claimed they had a base model 2012 DL650 in black and that it wasn't an Adventure model...so even when they've got something, they don't always know what it is.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Keep yer pants on, one will show up. Just keep at it. Dude just got one for $7k used with 36 miles on it.
Not sure what you're into, but I'm not into dropping my pants. That "Dude" got lucky and found one that was returned; not a typical occurance. I'm expanding my search to other states, as I will be passing through IL, IN, MO, AR, OK next week. I've sent out requests to several dealerships along my route, so we'll see. Problem though, is if they are that scarce, negotiations might be nill. I'll keep at it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found that searching on the internet was the worst way to find a v-strom. Every cycle trader listing proved to be false, while a call to a store that didn't show having one in stock often proved to be false as well. I was set to drive 100 miles to buy an ADV at full retail when I found one sitting at a dealership I didn't know about less then 20 miles away for much less.

It shouldn't be surprising to learn that motorcycle dealerships aren't staffed with the most IT savvy folks. Your best bet is to just stick to phone calls. Your only question should be "Do you have X in stock or in your warehouse?"

If the answer is no, move on. I didn't find a single dealer that would actually call back when promised, nor have I found a dealer that had any idea what stock they were getting anytime in the future.

Your mileage may vary.

EDIT: Also, I spoke with two different dealerships that claimed they had a base model 2012 DL650 in black and that it wasn't an Adventure model...so even when they've got something, they don't always know what it is.
Exactly! Problem I see right now though, is that even if I do find one, they know they have the upper hand, and price negotiations will be about impossible. I never have paid, nor ever will pay MSRP, so I will in all likelyhood have to look at something else. Sucks though.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,349 Posts
Exactly! Problem I see right now though, is that even if I do find one, they know they have the upper hand, and price negotiations will be about impossible. I never have paid, nor ever will pay MSRP, so I will in all likelyhood have to look at something else. Sucks though.
Remember that on a bike that has an MSRP of $8299 there is not a lot of room for "discounting". IF you can find a bike for sale you have reached one of your goals. If they want $8299 for it the deal might still be a "good one". How can that be? Well, If all they charge you is your proper sales tax and standard licensing fees it is a better deal than some have gotten. Don't overlook the added fees some dealers are going to tack on. Dealer setup fees for instance, not to mention freight. Technically I "paid" about MSRP for my bike, but wrote a check for $8700 which included all license, title, and whatever else is part of that stuff.

I have seen too many people worry themselves over a couple hundred dollars on major purchases. It you are so tight you cannot live with the chance one might come up for sale for a little less than you paid, you won't ever be happy no matter what you pay! The new bike is so much better it is worth what ever you pay. Think about it, find one available, and ask the dealer to work with you a bit on it. They want to sell the bike, holding out for $300 more dollars because they think it is a hot bike won't be common. Unfortunately, most dealers sales staff have no idea how good this bike is and that these are selling well and may be in short supply at the moment. There are more on the way.....

·
Registered
61 Posts
They seem to move fast enough in most dealerships that the dealers think they have the upper hand anyway. They know there will be someone else soon enough that will pay MSRP and then some. Even though I paid MSRP, the dealer did not try to soak me with any other crap like dealer prep, setup or destination charges. They also provided me with a 15-20% discount on accessories I buy from them. Even if you end up paying $8299 out the door I'm sure you will be very happy with the bike.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I guess that's my weakness,,,,,,,,,,,If I see something I want, I buy it. You can fight over 500 bucks if you want to but in the end you'll be watching someone else drive off on the bike you want..........if you finance it over 5 years you're talking just a couple bucks a month............TD

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LOL, yeah well, to each his own I guess. I never need something like a motorcycle bad enough that I'm gonna shell out MSRP for it. Too many choices out there, and with a bit of patience and persistence, I can usually find something that fits. Working a deal on one right now, but won't comment on how much until I actually have it in hand. :thumbup:

·
Registered
438 Posts
I never need something like a motorcycle bad enough that I'm gonna shell out MSRP for it...with a bit of patience and persistence, I can usually find something that fits. Working a deal on one right now, but won't comment on how much until I actually have it in hand. :thumbup:
Deals still exist, but you may have to travel. 0% finacing is continued if you fancy free money. I think w/in 3 weeks, you'll have lot's of choices.

One dealer told me next week "fo sure," in regards to new inventory and several said two weeks.

Good luck on your current dealings.

·
Registered
438 Posts

Your mileage may vary.

This matches my experience perfectly. I used the Suzuki website dealer locator and called most dealers w/in a 6 state (1200 mi) radius. I just used cycle trader for the cheapest deals, always on the east coast. Inventory was spotty, but the promised price was close in most cases.

·
Registered
61 Posts
LOL, yeah well, to each his own I guess. I never need something like a motorcycle bad enough that I'm gonna shell out MSRP for it. Too many choices out there, and with a bit of patience and persistence, I can usually find something that fits. Working a deal on one right now, but won't comment on how much until I actually have it in hand. :thumbup:
You started out this thread saying you decided the v-strom is the bike you want. But it sounds like you only want this bike if you can get it less than MSRP and if not then with all the choices out there you would settle for something else? Hopefully you find a deal on one that you can be happy with otherwise you will just end up buying something else Spending a bunch of money on it and then buying a v-strom later when you're unhappy with your other purchase.

I would just skip that and get a new v-strom with the 0% interest and just make sure it the best deal you can get on a v-strom. If it's still at MSRP then get them to throw something in like a tank bag, some oil filters, hand guards, heated grips, power socket, service or an extended warranty. Also the 0% should be good for the accessories you purchase in the deal. The finance company doesn't even care if you get full coverage insurance on the bike.

With the 0% even at msrp the v-strom is a good deal compared to what you might get if you are financing another brand. Cash to a dealer these days is just not as good as it used to be. Many dealers prefer to set you up with financing and can drop the price even lower because they get a little money back from the finance company. Of course with 0% that is probably not the case but it may be when you're negotiating for another bike you would have to pay interest on.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, the Vsrom is the bike I want, compared to the others I'm looking at. This is based on ergonomics, mileage, etc. However, I don't care how much I want something, I'm not going to pay more than what I think it's worth. Obviously there are several on here that are comfortable with doing that; I'm just not one. I guess it's a matter of priorites. I don't NEED a Vstrom, I WANT a Vstrom, so that leaves me with more options, one of them being that I won't pay MSRP or above :yesnod:

·
Registered
61 Posts
I work with a guy that feels the same way. Unfortunately for him over the last 5 years I have logged over 60,000 miles on Bikes i wanted but did not need. I have enjoyed all of those miles while he is still talking about getting a deal on a bike.

I'm not saying you won't find a deal, I am sure you will if you look long enough. But in the long run if you save $300 and you could have been riding the bike you want much sooner is the $300 or whatever you save really that important? If so I admire your principles but for me my desire for fun and adventure overrides saving a few hundred bucks.

Hopefully you will be reporting back very soon with your new less than MSRP purchase and I hope it is a V-strom!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts