StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I came here because I'm on the market for a new bike and I can't decide between two, one being the CB500x 2020 and the other the V-Strom 650xt 2018, both new.

Why would you buy the Suzuki over the Honda?

Thank you

·
Premium Member
4,999 Posts
What is your inseam ?? :D

I bought a new CB500x in 2018 to downsize from my CBF1000..lower weight, longer range, better fuel mileage....no thrills. Took it cross country last year - I'm 72 and riding forever.

The Vstrom will be livelier, ...I've had 3 of them ....but they were all a bit too tall for me and a bit heavier than I wanted. Really a do-all bike than can be a hoot in the twists and unloaded is quite quick but you can load them up like a mule.

Lot' depends on your use and I'm sure the late model 650 is a step up from my 2010.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Perhaps you can get better advice if you describe what type of riding you've been planning to do. Your riding experience and expectations. Local riding or long trips as well? On road only or on and off road? Solo or with passenger? Maybe your weight and size...

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Kind of a loaded question on Vstrom specific site? Maybe asking on a KTM or Yamaha sit may get you more unbiased opinion.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is your inseam ?? :D

I bought a new CB500x in 2018 to downsize from my CBF1000..lower weight, longer range, better fuel mileage....no thrills. Took it cross country last year - I'm 72 and riding forever.

The Vstrom will be livelier, ...I've had 3 of them ....but they were all a bit too tall for me and a bit heavier than I wanted. Really a do-all bike than can be a hoot in the twists and unloaded is quite quick but you can load them up like a mule.

Lot' depends on your use and I'm sure the late model 650 is a step up from my 2010.
Ok, thank you for your input!

My inseam is 31". Both bikes have the same seat height for what I've red.

Perhaps you can get better advice if you describe what type of riding you've been planning to do. Your riding experience and expectations. Local riding or long trips as well? On road only or on and off road? Solo or with passenger? Maybe your weight and size...
I've been riding for 10 years. I'm a true 50/50 rider. I like to be on paved roads as much as I like to be on forest roads. I don't like too technical stuff, but wish to have a bike capable of doing some tighter trails on some rare occasions. Each year I go on a multi days wild camping trip with my friends. We load all we need on our bikes and ride for 300 to 400 miles a day. At the moment I have a CRF250 Rally (had it since 2018). Previously I owned a TW200, a KLX250, a KLR650 and a DRZ400. I'm looking for something more road oriented to do more long distance trips. The two "minuses" I see for the CB500X over the Strom are the alloy wheels and the 20hp difference. On the other hand, I'm afraid that the Strom would be too heavy and not enough offroad worthy. I don't and wont carry a passenger with me. I'm 5'10", and weight between 175-180 pounds.

Kind of a loaded question on Vstrom specific site? Maybe asking on a KTM or Yamaha sit may get you more unbiased opinion.

Maybe I asked here to have a biased opinion. ;) I asked the same question on a CB500X forum. I want to know why people have chosen a bike over another.

·
Administrator
5,535 Posts
On a well formed (even dirt) road you will blow your mates away. If they lead you off onto single trail the DL650 will quickly become heavy and cumbersome.
Even the CB500x cannot compete with a dirt bike or dual sport. Throw in some mud and you will start having a very bad day.
If you intend to take long trips including detours onto formed roads the DL650 will do that well, and the CB500x is a lighter and more nimble version of the same thing. Neither will compare to your CRF250 Rally offroad.

You need to decide which you prioritise the most - offroad ability or long distance traveling.

·
Premium Member
4,999 Posts

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
It makes it easier. I don't know if you planning to keep your CRF 250 or not and I don't have almost any experience on CB500X but I'm pretty familiar with V Strom (have had 13 of them). I'm similarly built as you are and also ride solo. Why V Strom 650 XT? Since you do some touring to me 650 seems like a better choice because it's power and torque advantage. I've test rode CB500X and it felt underpowered. It felt smaller with less room to move around. A lot of farkles on new and used market for 650. In fact many of them can be transferred even from first gen. V Strom XT already comes with spoke wheels (since you go off road). And finally where you will find such great guys and such a great support as you can find right here?

·
Registered
15,032 Posts
A friend that had the Honda for while but he goes through bikes like a box of tissue. He loved the mileage of the Honda though. He used to rag on the gas gulping bikes our friends had. Now he's riding a Enfield for jollies.

·
Premium Member
4,999 Posts

·
Administrator
16,935 Posts
Both are good bikes. Suzuki quality is better than it used to be and Honda has gone the other direction.
Hmmmmm not sure I agree with that, but agree overall that Suzuki being the smallest of the Japanese OEM also are known for being very reliable.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
The V-Strom has more power and comfort, a more robust aftermarket and community. This doesn't seem like a difficult decision... but we're a little biased around here...

·
Premium Member
4,999 Posts
Comfort?? you know this how?? :coffee:

·
Premium Member
4,999 Posts
And that's just fine. the HP is to get it into Learners class around the world and keep the fuel mileage high. Not a thrill machine...just a solid fun bike.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I came here because I'm on the market for a new bike and I can't decide between two, one being the CB500x 2020 and the other the V-Strom 650xt 2018, both new.

Why would you buy the Suzuki over the Honda?
I think while these bikes are in neighboring categories, they are in different categories.

... I'm looking for something more road oriented to do more long distance trips. The two "minuses" I see for the CB500X over the Strom are the alloy wheels and the 20hp difference. On the other hand, I'm afraid that the Strom would be too heavy and not enough offroad worthy. ...
I haven't ridden that Honda but one of my inner circle recently got one. I can tell that he struggles a little on long uphill sections and even on the flat you can hear that his engine is pretty wound up and certainly not loafing along at 70mph. He says the Honda is okay but I've never heard him rave about it or point out something excellent about it.

I'm a Honda fanboy. I can't think of a time when I have not had a Honda. I'm also brand agnostic.
I think you might have to choose between great road traits and so so dirt chops vs so so and so so.

·
Premium Member
4,999 Posts
You do have to shift the CB500x uphill which funny enough is what the transmission is for... :rolleyes: but while not "loafing" ( neither does the Vstrom) it will run all day at 130 kph + and with better high speed stability than my 2010 650s.

Indicated RPM at 60 MPH: 4,750.
. for the 2019 CB500x[/quote]

I took both bikes cross country and the CB500x was easier to handle and more fuel efficient. It was not as heavily loaded as the DL650 ( had one Jesse panier with my kids stuff - the other had mine). The 650 is roomier, it is top heavy compared to the CB500x, unloaded without bags the DL650 is a hoot in the twists....the Honda is lithe and flickable but you can attack the twists with the DL.
I preferred the brakes on the DL - lighting was about the same on both.

Any two up dictates the 650....the 500x is a fine solo tourer - both are improved by a Madstad.

Value for money for both machines is very good - I understand the current 650 has a fair bit of electronics .....the CB500x has zilch which is way I like it. The first I rode it on a test drive in a 2013 I was very impressed ..the guy I rode with who had the second one said he wanted to point it to the horizon and keep going......took me back to simpler bikes - lighter, no toys. At the time the suspension was lacking but the make-over in 2016 - larger tank, better suspension was helpful.

I bought in on a 2018 deal for $500 off. Really astonishing value a bit over $5k US brand new with ABS is what I paid. $7300 cdn at the time.

The 2019 saw another makeover with 19" front wheel - not sure about suspension. A slight increase in performance as well 4% ....all helps I suppose.

2018 Vstrom is on for $8100 new just now ...$1500 off.
https://www.suzuki.ca/en/2018-v-strom-650-absThat just might be the closer and I love the colour
cover

Reactions: NVDucati and Nicad

·
Registered
641 Posts
Ok, Lotsa time on the couch, with a laptop embedded in my lap lately.
I'm becoming more attracted to the KTM 390 Adventure: 387lb/176kg wet, 41 hp, $6199USD. Lighter than the Honda, both in avoirdupois and Federal Reserve Notes, and my ear is audiosynchronus with V8's, V-Twins and singles. The 33.7 inch seat height might be challenging, but I suppose I could have my Alpinestars retooled with platform soles, though the seat is narrower than the DL's. If I was considering a sub-650 bike, the 390 would make my very short list. I don't ride any Interstates and my off pavement riding is virtually all maintained gravel, and a seldom minimum maintenance road with washouts, roots 'n'rock sections and stream runoff some years.

·
Premium Member
4,999 Posts
390 sounds like a good fit for you.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts