StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need storage space because I want to take a longer trip on my bike. I can survive with my larger top case but it really only holds my jacket and pants when I am off the bike. That leaves very little room for grocery trips and other things... So I think I need side cases but I just can't pull the trigger on the matching givi cases. That crap is expensive. I just need to suck it up and do it!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
I need storage space because I want to take a longer trip on my bike. I can survive with my larger top case but it really only holds my jacket and pants when I am off the bike. That leaves very little room for grocery trips and other things... So I think I need side cases but I just can't pull the trigger on the matching givi cases. That crap is expensive. I just need to suck it up and do it!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
If I had to do it over again I wouldn't. I only use a top box, my panniers are on the shelf. I can go out for 2 months with a dry bag and top box. And yes, that stuff is expensive to just sit on a shelf.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I can't imagine traveling without panniers, top box and the back seat and top of the panniers with stuff on them. But that's just me. I'd look for used panniers then.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Or, you could use a set of these; I've had them on two different bikes now for a total of 44,000 miles. Still going strong.

Multicomp 22" Black Tactical Weatherproof Equipment Case | 22-24120 (2224120) | Multicomp

I made my own quick release mounting system, but there are also commercially available ones out there designed for Pelican cases that would also work. You'd probably have less invested in these cases than you would in buying a single Givi.

Nelson-Rigg makes a nice set of soft bags that you can just throw over the seat. I think the current model is CL-850.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Check out what Big B did with his Bestem top case. It's in a thread somewhere or you can ask him. I know he spent next to nothing and I got to see it first hand and it's just as good as some of the big names. I'm pretty sure you can do the same with side cases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Or, you could use a set of these; I've had them on two different bikes now for a total of 44,000 miles. Still going strong.

Multicomp 22" Black Tactical Weatherproof Equipment Case | 22-24120 (2224120) | Multicomp

I made my own quick release mounting system, but there are also commercially available ones out there designed for Pelican cases that would also work. You'd probably have less invested in a whole system using these cases than you would in buying a single Givi.

Nelson-Rigg makes a nice set of soft bags that you can just throw over the seat. I think the current model is CL-850.
I like the Tactical cases, but fitting the racks would require me having some sort mechanical skill which I have very little of. I haven't seen anyone sell cheap racks but if someone knows where, please point me there.

My givi top case is great, but I would be willing to sell it off to come up with something cheaper. Here's the thing, for me, I guess I am snobbish, I want it to match.

I have considered soft saddle bags as a temporary option, but then I just keep thinking, just get what you want.

·
Registered
409 Posts

I made my own quick release mounting system, but there are also commercially available ones out there designed for Pelican cases that would also work. You'd probably have less invested in a whole system using these cases than you would in buying a single Givi.

That looks really good. Do you have a thread with more detail on the rack/mounts?

·
Administrator
17,529 Posts
Get what you want and be done with it, but in saying that......why not just get some Givi racks, then you have so many options as to what you can mount up? Top loaders will be the most expensive, but not everyone has top loaders. ;)

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
I don't know what you would consider a cheap rack; Happy Trail has racks on sale now for a V-Strom for $245.00. Any decent set of pannier racks are going to be in that same ballpark (and probably more). I'd be really leery of a rack that was substantially cheaper, because I'd be wondering just how well it was constructed. Having a rack break during a trip is a sure fire fun-killer. I've used HT racks on my last two bikes, and found them to be very robust. You can check eBay for used ones; a lot of guys who sell their ADV bikes sell off their accessories first (I did).

Suzuki DL650 Luggage; Suzuki DL1000 Racks, V-Strom 650 2012

They also make a puck system for attaching luggage to the racks. It's designed for aluminum panniers, but I'm sure it would work on any flat sided luggage. Caribou makes an attachment system specifically for Pelican cases, but it's in the $200.00 range.

HT makes what they call an SL rack, which is mainly designed as a standoff rack to keep soft luggage from getting tangled up in the rear wheel. They run about $200.00. It's not that hard to make a soft luggage standoff from a piece of strap steel from the hardware store, but if you don't have some mechanical skill, that won't be a good solution for you.

Happy Trails SL Side Rack Suzuki DL650 V-Strom

You're going to be fighting an uphill battle looking for a luggage/rack system if you're trying to combine "cheap" with "no do it yourself fabrication skills". Even mine, with several homemade components, still probably cost me around $350.00 (the cases were a little cheaper back when I set mine up). Even if you just bolt the MCM cases directly to the racks without a quick release, you're still in at least the $350.00 range with current prices.

Some motorcycle accessories can be done cheaper, but very little involving a bike can be done "cheap". If you don't feel your mechanical skills are up to the task of fitting racks to a bike, you may be at a loss in trying to find a really cheap workaround solution for a luggage system.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
That looks really good. Do you have a thread with more detail on the rack/mounts?
Here's a link to my photo album that shows how the attachment system was made. It uses a sliding clamp to hold the cases on; you just have to loosen one knob and slide the clamp, and the cases come off.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/members...ier-quick-release-use-ht-racks-version-2.html

The photos show the cases on my Yamaha Super Tenere, but the attachment system isn't bike specific (I originally designed it when I had my V-Strom). The system is rack specific though, and is designed to work with a Happy Trail pannier rack.

·
Registered
15,614 Posts
If anyone would sell you a set of Suzuki racks, the ones that hold the Oval Shaped bags, you could mount them on there.

That's a fabulous buy. About the same as my Sea Horse but deeper. I want then now!
Not being mechanical is a issue. If I spent a bit more time on my mounts they would be quick release but I'm lazy.
Bolting the bags solidly to the mounts means I need to undo 2 bolts on each side to dismount the bags. Way too much trouble for the lazy!
Besides, with all the stickers I have adorning the bags I'd lose the 'look at me' value!

·
Registered
22,323 Posts
I thought luggage was expensive as well, but I sucked it up and spent the $$$, for a Caribou system with Pelican cases, everything was bolt on, no skills or special tools required

well worth the money, glad I spent it now, they are indestructible. been run into with a car and they are still like new 9 years later

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
If anyone would sell you a set of Suzuki racks, the ones that hold the Oval Shaped bags, you could mount them on there.

That's a fabulous buy. About the same as my Sea Horse but deeper. I want then now!
Not being mechanical is a issue. If I spent a bit more time on my mounts they would be quick release but I'm lazy.
Bolting the bags solidly to the mounts means I need to undo 2 bolts on each side to dismount the bags. Way too much trouble for the lazy!
Besides, with all the stickers I have adorning the bags I'd lose the 'look at me' value!
I'm a total believer in them. They may be Chinese knockoffs, but that doesn't diminish their quality one bit. They're waterproof and surprisingly strong at that price point; I stood on mine without any alarming deformation, and I'm a buffalo. They aren't Pelicans, for sure, but they aren't $150 apiece either. I'm tempted to buy another set just to have around, since you never know how long they'll be available.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm with those who have bought panniers and don't use them much. I use them mostly for grocery shopping but take them off when I ride the mountains for fun. I have the semi-soft SW Motech Dakars. For me, it's easier to put extra clothing, water, etc., in a tank bag and small tailbag. Less wind effect, too.

·
Vendor
5,427 Posts
Givi removable racks and Pelicans (or similar) have many nice attributes. The Pelicans at least act like crash bars for your bike. My wee tipped over at least four times on them. They saved the bike and seriously barley showed any wear at all doing so.

I had that set up until I sold the wee. I wanted the removable racks so I could take the bags off, but never did ... until I sold the bike. Then I toook them off to show the new owner they were removable.

Shad SH36 sides cases look best (IMO), cost less them most, and are also more durable than you might think. But the Pelicans (or similar) are just plain rugged.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
When I was kitting out my 08 I bought a SWmotech rack and two Storm boxes (Caribou knockoffs $80.00 each) and put 98,000 miles on them.. Waterproof, and durable.....and cheap!

·
Registered
15,614 Posts
Right now I'm carrying a couple Motorcycle signs i got in a neat store in Lucerne Valley Ca. And a couple Tee shirts as a gift to a friend.
if i didn't have the capacity to haul around gifts and such, where in the heck would I bear it?
You wanna go naked for your ride in the hills or where ever. What interference does the side bags make? In your mind, maybe. In actuality, none.
With the bags comes versatility. Without you may ask, "where are my bungee cords so I may bear a burden I desire."
Beside, it's totally ADV with the bags attached and on your way! Travel envy from the cager that sees you.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Caribou Commando on Hepco Becker Racks - very happy

Reactions: cavenger
1 - 20 of 58 Posts