StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 Canadian version. Clean title. Runs strong. 23k milies.

I saw this ad for a v-strom and was curious what is a canadian version V-Strom.I am getting another V-strom as my V-strom was ran over by a drunk driver.Thank god it was parked and iwas in a store when it got hit
But anybody with info let me know

I am new to the forum founs it while i was looking for info on this subject

·
Registered
806 Posts
Speedo will be in km instead of miles, other then that I don't know. Emissions may be different than a California modal. Glad to hear you weren't on the bike.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
2005 Canadian version. Clean title. Runs strong. 23k milies.

I saw this ad for a v-strom and was curious what is a canadian version V-Strom.I am getting another V-strom as my V-strom was ran over by a drunk driver.Thank god it was parked and iwas in a store when it got hit
But anybody with info let me know

I am new to the forum founs it while i was looking for info on this subject
Better check if you can reg it in California... not sure if it would pass emissions for your state...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does the 2005 canadian model have fuel injection and is there any reason i should not buy a canadiam model besides registration and smog issues

·
Registered
543 Posts
All stroms have fuel injection.

Also, it is my understanding that a bike has to have 9,500 miles before an out-of-state bike can be registered in CA (unless it was built to CA emissions).

Keep your eye on the 'for sale' ads...quite a number of used stroms come up for sale on the left coast (esp OR and WA)...if you could get one in the US it could save on duties and import hassles.

Glad to hear you're OK. Hopefully the drunk got caught and nailed with a good sentence!

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
The Can. model will read Metric for speed and distance(odo), you will be best off searching for a U.S. model. Oh, and it will have a cotter pin in the rear axle to secure the nut. And like their American cousins, they will also fall over at a stop if you don't put a foot down. Happy and successful searching.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Does the 2005 canadian model have fuel injection and is there any reason i should not buy a canadiam model besides registration and smog issues
It runs on coal dust, so soot can be a problem. It has made my igloo all black. The beaver pelt upholstered seat is a nice touch though, very waterproof. My model comes with CanadiaM universal health care, I'm pretty sure that it is non-transferable to CA.

Seriously, kms on the speedo and odo, and some stickers. No emission control like CA models. Just lean FI like the rest of the World. Now I gotta go feed the polar bears, and hunt a moose for dinner. The dog team is ready to roll. MUSH!!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
On the Canadian model you get bilingual labels all over the bike with such small print you can't read any of the information.

·
Registered
538 Posts
On the Canadian version, it's mandated by law that part of it must be held together by duct tape...

but the tape job has to be subtle and unassuming.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
And you get a bonus French owner's manual. :bom_smoking:

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
The Canadian versions come in different colours than the US versions (and yes that is how we spell color here).
The speedometer probably would not be much of an issue if you just changed the faceplate to a corrected one from Austin but the odometer would still read in kilometers however.
The Canadian emissions controls will be different than the California ones. We don't have the charcoal cannister the CA ones have for one thing.

The Canadian one will be easier to ride in the snow, be able to drink stronger beer and be much more polite.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
sturgeon

On the Canadian version, it's mandated by law that part of it must be held together by duct tape...

but the tape job has to be subtle and unassuming.
hi sturgeon [kinda of topic] heres a photo of one my frends and i caught while i was visting them on a bike trip august 12th last week . the rod was bought new that day with 150 lb test . the real snapped right off so we had to hand pull it in , a three man job . we caught 3 in a few hours near the old bridge in lilooet B.C.

Attachments

·
Registered
703 Posts
If you buy a Canadian model, make sure you stock up on baby harp seal oil, as that is the only fuel that will do!

·
Administrator
13,816 Posts
The Canadian one will be easier to ride in the snow, be able to drink stronger beer and be much more polite.
But it will still suck in snow if you have stock tires!

I got stuck (in the same snowdrift!!) TWICE!!! (once in December on my last ride of 2006, then in the same drift on my first ride in 2007! These bike are hard to push through snow banks as they are too tall to get you feet down enough.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
Please excuse some of my fellow Canadians. We are still a young counrty and haven't grown up yet. LOL.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts