StromTrooper banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I assume that the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is a US court ruling and only applies there. Do any of you know if we have a similar law in Canada that makes owner maintenance ok for warranty coverage?

·
Registered
318 Posts
I assume that the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is a US court ruling and only applies there. Do any of you know if we have a similar law in Canada that makes owner maintenance ok for warranty coverage?
Not sure if there is an outright law stating that, but have yet to see a single manufacturer outright require it.

I work on the automotive service side, have yet to see a manufacturer deny warranty due to owner maintenance. If you are able to show a log, with dates and mileages, and associated receipts for oil and filter purchases around those dates, that is generally ok. Worst case, a few manufacturers ask to remove the valve cover to show there's no sludge indicating a lack of maintenance. As long as you are able to prove something, I have never seen a warranty claim denied that would have been covered with dealer maintenance.

If you really want to cover your bases, forge some maintenance invoices from a made up shop, say "Big Ben's Bike Bin". No manufacturer in their right mind would question actual invoices. I have had customers bring in years of invoices that were blatantly written on the same date, with the same pen, nearly sequential invoice numbers, and the manufacturer didn't bat an eye.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts