StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone is interested in tagging along, A friend of mine and I are going to be planning a trip from Portland to Alberta Canada. We are going to take about 5 day trip (I am going to add a few extra days just in case, so mabie a total of 5 to 7). The plan right now is this. Head out around the 13th or 14th of Sept, Travle from Portland to Sandpoint Idaho, stay over then from Snadpoint to Ft. Macleod Alberta and stay over night with my family. Ft. Macleod to Banff Lake Louise. That is as far as we have gotten. I will update more next week. Even if you can't make the whole trip you are welcome for parts of it as well, just jump in where ever. :mod2_scooter:

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So right now the plan is this.

Sept 14th. Ride from Portland to Sandpoint Idaho (or Bonners Ferry)
15th Ride to My familys place just outside of Lethbridge, Alberta CA.
16th ride to Banff (mabie)
17th ride to Victoria B.C. stay with some friends
18th ride back to portland

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
I live in Calgary and have some vacation time then - but not sure if I will be in town, riding to Alaska/Dempster Hwy, or flying to Mexico for all I can drink (and I will).

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
you do understand that rideing from banff too victoria would be a dawn till dusk trip of about 16 hours
I plan on staying somewear about 4 hours west of Banff. I have untill Sept to figure out the rout. I can even take another day or two to ride as well.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts

If I AM around, I will rip down to the Border and meet up with you, ride through to Banff.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I agree with Chris. Try splitting Banff-Victoria into at least two days. The Okanagan is beautiful and there are some really nice stretches of road. Manning Park has a popular bike side-trip up to a lookout (I forget the name of the viewpoint - somebody help me out. It takes you up to the Heather Trail as I recall. It's been a few years.)

Rather than take the Trans Canada to Vancouver, try to dog-leg north a bit at Hope and take Highway 7. Much more interesting.

I'm in Abbotsford. Let me know when you get close. I might have my training wheels off by then. :)

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
If you want a great ride make a left at Revelstoke go across the ferry to Nakusp...some great cabins there if you want to stay.I suggest http://obriens.kootenays.com/.Travel to needles ferry at Fauquier then hwy 6 threw the Monashee's to Vernon (Hwy 6 is one of the most popular rides in North America) The Kootenies are fantastic and very little traffic ,you can fly if you want to. :)
If you choose to go threw the okanogan Valley I'll try to meet you somewhere depending where you are coming from and ride threw with you.
Good luck...some great riding ahead of you. :cool:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Lethbridge Leg

I'm in Lethbridge if you want someone to ride part of the trip with, just let me know. Border to the 'Bridge, 'Bridge to Calgary/Banff.....ect.

Bluerocker

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
I rode through the Kootenays on Memorial day weekend up through Chelan to Osoyoos and then East. That Highway 3 was beautiful even if the weather wasn't for most of the trip. I want a do-over with better weather and my new bike. I envy you.

Osoyoos BC from highway 3.

There is a Caribou crossing just down the hill from here. I didn't know there were caribou around those parts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts