StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be driving my van to Canada in the next couple weeks to St Thomas Ontario. Is it safe to assume that your main road from Detroit will be snow free? I there a canadian website to monitor road conditions? I'll be picking up a Stinger MC trailer.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
No guaranties at this time of year.
You can check highway 401 traffic conditions here:
Highway 401 Traffic Conditions

And weather/traffic conditions here:
Chatham, Ontario 7 Day Weather Forecast - The Weather Network
-On that page there is a map near the bottom that you can expand to full screen and then click the drop-down menu at the upper left. Seems to be defaulted to radar (past and forecast). Change this to Highway Forecast to see what you will be dealing with.

For what its worth, that can be a particularly treacherous stretch of road when the weather turns on you. Prone to snow squalls and white-outs or "see no further than the hood of your car" fog. Even if the weather is good, it can be so straight and boring that people will fall asleep and say hello to the ditch.

Have a safe drive for the new year!

Cheers

·
Registered
165 Posts
WeeRob has pretty well nailed it. The 401 is normally a good clear highway, but in winter you have to watch the weather. I just drove down to Windsor from Midland Ontario for Christmas and it was a clear run, so educate yourself on the website forecasts before you go. Drive safe!

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Treacherous stretch that - prone to very sudden white outs with traffic travelling at very high speeds. I've seen it littered with vehicles off the road a day after a bad storm.

This is all too typical..It's the heaviest commercial traffic corridor in North America.

WOODSTOCK, ONT. - A sudden whiteout on a busy highway led to a pileup of nearly 50 vehicles on Hwy. 401 Friday.

As the tanker truck behind them kept coming, driver Lorraine Gauthier kept screaming, "Don't hit us, don't hit us!"

The truck hit and Gauthier's car spun, and though the car came to a stop, the fear did not. Everywhere vehicles were hitting each other.

"You could hear it, them all banging. You don't know whether to get out and run or just stay in the vehicle and wait."

When the truck in front of her started jackknifing and she slowed down, Marcie Vandenboom knew trouble was coming.

"I could feel the tension behind me. The truck came from behind on my left, very fast and pushed us, pushed us, pushed us . . . I was scared. I didn't know if we were going to make it because it was just jumble, loud noises around us."

Dozens of other people had similar tales of sudden terror and for many, great relief as about 50 vehicles piled into each other when whiteouts hit a section of the eastbound lanes of Hwy. 401 near Woodstock, Ont., just before noon Friday.
http://www.torontosun.com/2013/02/01/massive-pileup-closes-highway-401-at-woodstock

We usually get one or two replays each year.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Don't let 'em scare ya....... but yes, do take caution if it's snowy and blowy. You're mostly in flat country, and if snowy and windy, it can drift across roads and make visibility poor. The stretch is pretty boring otherwise. You'll know the forecast before you even get there right? Nothing you can't handle unless it's an outright big winter storm.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Rayzerman has it right. I've driven from Toronto to Windsor at Christmas many, many times. Keep an eye on weather forecasts. If they warn of a winter storm with blowing winds, then maybe change your plans. Otherwise, it's a flat and boring run!

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
all the way from fla for a trailer? I'm going to have to look into these!
They have a double stinger though i prefer the folding trailer from harbor freight, less expensive, holds more, has a suspension, much less expensive. because the trailer is a kit in parts when I brought it back from the states i declared it as trailer parts and registered it as home built (I put it together in the driveway). if you declare it as a trailer it would be a nightmare trying to bring it in, one, being all in parts it probably wouldn't pass a RIV inspection.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
They have a double stinger though i prefer the folding trailer from harbor freight, less expensive, holds more, has a suspension, much less expensive. because the trailer is a kit in parts when I brought it back from the states i declared it as trailer parts and registered it as home built (I put it together in the driveway). if you declare it as a trailer it would be a nightmare trying to bring it in, one, being all in parts it probably wouldn't pass a RIV inspection.
Yeah I looked into them but I cannot justify the cost.. for the amount I'd actually use it i'll just borrow one or even rent a uhaul.

If I wind up buying a WR250R then I may have to reconsider!

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Given that Canadjan dollars are real cheap right now vs. US, it's like 45% off!
Yes but i'm Canadian so it's like 0% off for me lol. If I was to buy a trailer this would probably be it though, I just cant justify the cost for the amount that I'd actually use it.

·
Super Moderator
13,093 Posts
Yes but i'm Canadian so it's like 0% off for me lol. If I was to buy a trailer this would probably be it though, I just cant justify the cost for the amount that I'd actually use it.
Same quandary I'm in. Perhaps we need to invent a bike-trailer sharing business?

..Tom

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
last may I rode up there and picked up a trailer from juan at thirdwheeltrailers.com He also builds the stinger trailer. I'm going to trade trailers with him. My one wheel trailer works great in every way but it was bought with the wife in mind. unfortunately, her mind says get a van and tow the bike, so that is what i'm doing. works better anyway since i like to go somewhere and stay for a week or more. so now i'll be able to take all mu toys with me where ever i go.

before anyone catches it, i'm trading a $4500 trailer for a $2000 trailer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts