StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I decided to replace my H3 halogen driving lights with some LEDs. The halogen were just drawing too much power; 35 watts on each side, + heated grips, GPS, USB BlackBerry charger, head lights etc.

I ordered 4 of these:

from LED Module Aluminum Housing High Power

So then I was trying to figure out how to mount them. I took the bulbs out of my H3 lights and saw that the hole in the back was about 5/8 of an inch...Lights are close to 1". Hmm.
Realizing that if I messed this up I would have NO lights, I broke out the trusty Dremel and hacked a bigger hole in the back of the housing. Some two-sided mounting tape to provide some cushioning and some stick-to-it-iveness and voila!

So that takes care of two of them. I wanted to mount two others higher up on the bike, so I wracked my brain trying to come up with a mounting solution.
I finally decided to go low tech and bought a couple of 1" pipe brackets from Home Depot. I decided to mount the two remaining lights on the hand-guards.

Seems brighter...

The light doesn't get thrown far down the road, but whith the hibeams on, these little lights seem to light up the near and middle distance.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I used simple LM317 regulators to make sure the voltage stays below 14VDC. I have the same LED's, four of them actually, they'r still working.........

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can one get these lights in amber?

Ken
Yes. I also ordered one of the low profile 1 watt lights in RED. As soon as my Eastern Beaver tail light adapter gets here, I'm going to hook it up as a second brake light somewhere on the rear fender.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I've been using the same lights for a year or so, about 20k or so miles, no problems. I just recently got a pair in amber, and also a pair of their 3W version to try out. Nicely done, btw, installing them in the old fixtures. :thumbup:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Better night time pic. I think I need to angle the LEDs on the handguards up a bit.
For the price, I'm happy.

·
Registered
259 Posts
How much additional light do they provide from the riders perspective?? are they as good as a set of Halogen piaas ? Or are you just adding them for daytime triangulation effect on cages. ??

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How much additional light do they provide from the riders perspective?? are they as good as a set of Halogen piaas ? Or are you just adding them for daytime triangulation effect on cages. ??
My intent was more to be seen, rather than to see. That being said, they do throw a fair amount of light in the near distance. They light up that dead-spot that you get when the high-beams are on.
I commute to work early in the morning while it's still dark and then come home in the dark as well. I wanted something bright and noticeable so that cagers would see me.
One of my co-workers said that bikes like mine are how UFO rumours get started, so I guess it's noticeable!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts