1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'm having panicky second thoughts about these 804/805 tires I bought with stock fender configuration.
I have a Fender riser kit on the way but I am looking at the instructions and it looks tough.
If the fender is similar to older generations, I believe it's highly recommended to remove the wheel prior to attempting the fender. Reason, there female threaded "nuts" have a tendency to spin in the plastic. With the wheel removed, you can monitor/secure that fastener.

See here:
https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650a-2012-2016/81942-front-fender-warning.html

·
Registered
218 Posts
@vboost. You'll certainly want to install the fender riser with the 804/805's. Reports of the wheel packing with mud & not turning as well as tearing thru the fender are 2 that I've read about.
Read the 1st few pages of the link & just take your time. You got this!

·
Registered
14,020 Posts
On the older, first generation, Wee's the fender doesn't want to come off easily. If you are worried about keeping it pristine, be real careful. If you've already made a goof or two, give it a mighty shove and it comes out.
Since the riser doesn't work on older Wee's with the brace, is there any after market enduro type fender that can be bolted to the brace or above it.
one of those big dudes that waves in the breeze on the dirt bikes.
Then we can run the 805's that look so macho.

Maybe something like these...https://www.google.com/search?q=acerbis+universal+front+fender&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS689US689&oq=acerbis+universal+front+fender&aqs=chrome..69i57j0.9102j1j8&sourceid

If nothing, they are cheap for experimentation.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On the older, first generation, Wee's the fender doesn't want to come off easily. If you are worried about keeping it pristine, be real careful. If you've already made a goof or two, give it a mighty shove and it comes out.
Since the riser doesn't work on older Wee's with the brace, is there any after market enduro type fender that can be bolted to the brace or above it.
one of those big dudes that waves in the breeze on the dirt bikes.
Then we can run the 805's that look so macho.

Maybe something like these...https://www.google.com/search?q=acerbis+universal+front+fender&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS689US689&oq=acerbis+universal+front+fender&aqs=chrome..69i57j0.9102j1j8&sourceid

If nothing, they are cheap for experimentation.
i dont care about pristene, i looked at it last night and there is a brake line hose that crosses over the rear part of the fender that would be problematic if i rode without a fender. im sort of at a point i dont know what to do . head not in the game right now as i am smack dab in line of the eye of the hurricane that is about to land in my area tomorrow afternoon.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
...it's highly recommended to remove the wheel prior to attempting the fender. Reason, there [are] female threaded "nuts" [that] have a tendency to spin in the plastic. With the wheel removed, you can monitor/secure that fastener.
This, definitely. On my '12 Wee, I removed the front fender without removing the wheel-tire assembly, but it was very difficult to do, and, as is noted above, those lightweight "sheet metal" "nuts" tore out of their retaining tabs and wanted to turn. Very, very frustrating. Likely much better to just remove the wheel-tire assembly at the outset.

Good luck though, regardless.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I removed mine for painting and was rather easy on removal and replacement. Never touched the wheel to do so.

No issues.

·
Registered
239 Posts
No doubt I am dense, but on my 2014 dl650 I had to remove the wheel to remove the fender, in order to add the fenda extenda gizmo.
Took 20 mins to jack up engine, drop 1 caliper, pull axle and drop wheel. Less of a struggle to reinstall fender as well.
Mark

·
Registered
537 Posts
This is the 17 + wee 3 section so comparison to earlier models may not be applicable at all.

·
Premium Member
3,457 Posts
They wouldn't be bad if they didn't have the red lock tite of death on the bolts.

When you do get the fender off, throw away that pesky #4 and use a SS bolt, washer and Nylock nut. Then if you ever have to take the fender off w/tire on, you just reach behind the fork with a wrench and grab the Nylock.

·
Registered
537 Posts
When you do get the fender off, throw away that pesky #4 and use a SS bolt, washer and Nylock nut. Then if you ever have to take the fender off w/tire on, you just reach behind the fork with a wrench and grab the Nylock.
Great idea I will have to upgrade mine this way, Thanks for the tip. :wink2:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts