StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use my bike to power LED lights and tiny 12v fan to sleep by when I camp. Ive tested them and they dont drain the battery overnight But If I killed the battery will this bike push start having no power to the FI system? :confused: I also wonder how hard it would be to push it off??? I plan on going by myself sometimes to camp and dont want to be stuck away from nowhere.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Better park it facing down hill...;)

A better idea: Buy a battery operated fan(there are many and some even move quite a bit of air) that is either rechargeable, or put rechargeable batteries in it. Re-charge your batteries each day while riding and a good place to do that is from the Battery Tender pigtail that hangs out under the seat(we all have one right?). Adapters are available from Deltran:
Deltran Battery Tender Accessories

Or, an independent 12v powerpak

Seriously, I don't think many of us could push these pigs fast enough to bump start on level ground alone.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I use a AA battery powered LED head lamp. I also have a "summer" tent that is all screen where covered by the rain fly. It gets hot in a field without trees but most of the time there's enough shade / breeze / cool temps to be passable. I've been in worse when doing Boy Scouts. I wouldn't go for a job interview the following morning - it's camping. Best of Luck.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All good ideas but I still wonder if it went dead will it push off? Sometime good batteries or almost new quality batteries will go stupid. Ive been around and have seen it. There can be a moment of my stupidity and leave the key on or something.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Some power is required to start the bike. The fuel pump has to run and the ignition has to create spark. You might get enough power out of the magneto to create spark but the fuel pump will not run if the battery is dead.

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
I don't believe you can push start one of these bikes if the battery is completely dead. The fuel pump needs electricity to pump fuel so it can fire up, and with no charge in the battery at all, the fuel pump won't run on the initial start up. You could push it all day, but with no fuel getting to the cylinders, nothing's going to happen.

I may be wrong, but I think I read this on the forum at some point.

·
Registered
859 Posts
All good ideas but I still wonder if it went dead will it push off? Sometime good batteries or almost new quality batteries will go stupid. Ive been around and have seen it. There can be a moment of my stupidity and leave the key on or something.
So - there's always the empirical method, try pushing it and dropping the clutch.
I would guess if you have zero power lack of the computer would pretty much negate any fuel injection or other necessary functions to running.
Carbs and simpler electrics do have their advantages...

·
Administrator
16,795 Posts
I have a battery operated camp fan with LED lights, it is awesome.......and no worries of ever draining your motorcycle battery. ;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Carry a battery jumper. They're cheap, and most models can charge or run your accessories. This is just an example (not necessarily a recommended choice):

https://www.amazon.com/iClever-15000mAh-Starter-Multiple-Protected/dp/B01MTZ31A4/ref=sr_1_25?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1494595403&sr=1-25&keywords=battery+jump+starter
WOW! That thing is tiny! Wow! less that a pound. I didnt know they made jump starters that small. Wonder if it will really start a mid sized car?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I just took a second look at the title. Can you even find a 16 foot DL650A. >:)

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Better park it facing down hill...;)
(...)
Seriously, I don't think many of us could push these pigs fast enough to bump start on level ground alone.
When I had my Ninja250, the battery went bad one time and I tried to push start it. This was on level ground and I could not get it to fire. Push starting a Wee would be a Herculean task.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So - there's always the empirical method, try pushing it and dropping the clutch.
I would guess if you have zero power lack of the computer would pretty much negate any fuel injection or other necessary functions to running.
Carbs and simpler electrics do have their advantages...
That is what I was wondering if you dump the cluth an let say 10MPH 1st would the stator spinng produce enough power to run the fuel pump and energize the coils???? I see an experiment coming for me...... Wonder if GrayWolf knows that answer?

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have a 700 cranking amp jump start/small batter charger with USB output too. It's lithium ION and weighs less than a pound. I never go camping without it and when on the road it's charging from the power outlet in the dash while in the tank bag. Very similar to this one but mine has a build in super bright LED flashlight too. I have jumped my Toyota Tacoma pickup with it and my daughters Hyundai Velocitor without any issue! For less than $40 it's critical insurance for me.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tagital-Portable-Mini-Slim-20000mAh-Car-Jump-Starter-Engine-Battery-Charger-Power-Bank/357080475?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=3722&adid=22222222227068039816&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=172685070846&wl4=pla-277837660779&wl5=9028723&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=113500510&wl11=online&wl12=357080475&wl13=&veh=sem#about-item

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,262 Posts
Theoretically, if you had a steep enough hill and could get enough speed to drop the clutch and keep the engine turning, it might start. I have push started a couple larger street bikes. It takes a LOT more momentum and speed than you might think and those were not completely dead. You would have to be in 3rd or 4th gear and have good traction. Just turning over the engine a few times is one thing, having it turn 500 rpm or so for a few moments to generate power is another.

Bottom line is I would never use the bike to power accessories off the bike.
Even partially draining the battery is hard on it. Maybe in the old days that was your only way to get power. But with these small power packs it just isn't worth trying.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have a 700 cranking amp jump start/small batter charger with USB output too. It's lithium ION and weighs less than a pound. I never go camping without it and when on the road it's charging from the power outlet in the dash while in the tank bag. Very similar to this one but mine has a build in super bright LED flashlight too. I have jumped my Toyota Tacoma pickup with it and my daughters Hyundai Velocitor without any issue! For less than $40 it's critical insurance for me.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tagital-Portable-Mini-Slim-20000mAh-Car-Jump-Starter-Engine-Battery-Charger-Power-Bank/357080475?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=3722&adid=22222222227068039816&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=172685070846&wl4=pla-277837660779&wl5=9028723&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=113500510&wl11=online&wl12=357080475&wl13=&veh=sem#about-item
OK! Thanks everyone. Now I have to spend more $money$ and get one of these. Its too cool not to have and I too have a TACO (Toyota Tacoma to those that dont have one or know) that may need to be jumped off one day.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts