StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
You can definitely remove the cap unless it is captured by the upper triple tree (if it is then just loosen the upper pinch bolts)
Back off the preload all the way
Take the front wheel off so that you are only dealing with one leg at a time
Make sure you are turning the big "nut" on the cap
Now you should be able to pull the cap up - which is attached to the cartridge. If you can't pull it up then give yourself a little help by compressing the fork from the bottom with a jack.
Then you can see the jam nut, put a wrench on fork cap and nut and then get it loose
Spin cap off cartridge rod - may need to gram the rod with a needlenose to keep from spinning

Reactions: dtysdalx21

·
Registered
2006 DL1000
67 Posts
In addition to oldjeeps instructions, you can loosen the pinch bolt at the top of the fork tube before loosening the cap nut to make it easier, also if you leave the wheel on and do both sides at the same time jack or block the bike up below the engine. Don't ask me how I learned this!!

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
The cap is off, it's attached to spring, there's a screw holding spring to cap??

Everything is all backed off, like normal.
The spring is not attached to the cap. The spring is just sitting between the cartridge and the cap.

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
If your leak is just the o-ring that is at the cap. Then you don't even need to remove the cap. Just pull the oring over the top and install the new one the same way. smear some Vaseline all over it before installing

·
Registered
2006 DL1000
67 Posts
The jam nut is shown as B in this picture, You need to screw the preload in on the topnut or CapBolt A and the jam nut will be just below it. Right now the jam nut is inside the cap bolt because your preload is all the way out (compare this to your picture ). Loosen the jam nut and the capbolt will unscrew from the rod and you can pull the spacer, spring etc out.

Slope Font Rectangle Parallel Plot

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
What exactly is it that you are trying to fix?

·
Registered
2006 DL1000
67 Posts
Sorry, the pic I posted is from a 2006 Vee. Looks like you might need to check a service manual as that setup is different than I'm used to.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm trying to measure the oil on right fork, because it didn't leak.

And put equal oil in left fork, that did leak, I drained it, while cleaning seal.

I have this bad feeling, you do the oil adjustment upside down. Which means pulling tire and forks.

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
I'm trying to measure the oil on right fork, because it didn't leak.

And put equal oil in left fork, that did leak, I drained it, while cleaning seal.

I have this bad feeling, you do the oil adjustment upside down. Which means pulling tire and forks.
Oil adjustment is right side up, springs removed and sounds miserable to do on the bike. Take an extra 10 minutes - remove the fork tubes, put it vertically in your vice and do it the easy way. IN the amount of time you have spent so far you would be done and drinking a beer or 6.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ya. The whole point was not to pull. 😂

Well, now everyone knows what's on top and that it appears you can't top off oil via cap.

And knowing is half the battle, G.I. JOE!

Fudge.😜

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
K, called my Suzuki mechanic. As there's nada in book and I'm getting a bit frustrated.

So, these are designed to not really be serviced like I'm doing now. Supposed to be a full tear down and oil change. If you get a leak of oil, like I did, clean seals and keep riding. Do not bother trying to top fluid up as these forks are designed, not to lose much oil and the leak I was seeing is nothing more than lubrication.

Everything is done at the top, where I've been originally trying to get apart.

Nothing at bottom to do (Where tire is).

If I can get spring out, oil level is 113mm down tube. Apparently the trick is to push down on cap hard, while backing out.

Volume of oil is 597ml.

I guess see how this goes...

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
K, giving up. I can't get this nut to move at all under any sort of pressure. Must be trick or vice...

Going to plan c or D...

Draining good side, measure, put exact back in.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
So, pumped piston, short half inch strokes when it stopped coming out, this must not be the lowest point, but, it is a consistent point, I can make a measurement from. All drips caught, maybe 6 drops attached to stuff. Should be 188ml still in there. That's, assuming, it was filled correctly to begin with, the stuff thats been wrong from factory. Probably not. 😆

One tasty beverage. 🍻

Second line from top.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 40 Posts