StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing my own maintenance since day-one, but last week I finished with two extra screws. And I have no idea where they came from. Before I go riding again, I'd like to find out where they belong. Because it's grey, I suspect its something behind the plastic...or it would probably be shiney.

What I do know:
1. Took off all the plastic and the tail section
2. Did not remove or lift the tank
3. Removed crash bars and Givi saddle-bag mounts.
4. The box I keep all the bolts in was EMPTY when I started, so the bolts must have come off my bike.
5. Everything re-mounted exactly like it came off...with these extra bolts.

·
Registered
710 Posts
The shoulders would indicate screws for mounting plastic body pieces.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Check around the horse collar and the black plastic shroud area on the sides of the tank taht go along the seat, seam those have collar stand offs.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, it definitely looks like it mounts a plastic piece. I checked all around the area again and everything looks normal. I even checked the online microfiche hoping to see something, but no luck. There's a screw in ever hole. Maybe I should just take it for a ride and see what falls off. The search continues...

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PROBLEM SOLVED!

These screws are not a part of my bike. I replaced the two screws on the sides of the tail, behind the mufflers. These mystery screws must have come from my extra-parts bin, and when they didn't fit, I tossed them in the box instead of putting them back where I got them.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
PROBLEM SOLVED!

These screws are not a part of my bike. These mystery screws must have come from my extra-parts bin.
Thats the excuse I use when I have extra parts....its widespread and contagous as you grow old ya know.

With one exception...listed below ( Sorry grey wolf, I couldn't resist)

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Now I feel better. I thought I knew every plastic holding fastener on the bike.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Looks like two bolts and a quarter, 1989 to be exact. :green_lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist. Glad to hear you got your answer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts