StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know much about GPS's and am thinking of getting one.

The one thing i'd like to do with it would be to plot a route from point A to B using non paved roads. Dirt or gravel.

Do they have a feature to do this?

If so what is that called so i know what to look for.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I don't know much about GPS's and am thinking of getting one.

The one thing i'd like to do with it would be to plot a route from point A to B using non paved roads. Dirt or gravel.

Do they have a feature to do this?

If so what is that called so i know what to look for.
The Garmin Zumo series can do that.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
ok, i guess everything i want in a GPS is in the Zumo so its time to bite the bullet and get one instead of cheaping out for somthing i won't like in the end.

I have found it for $585 with free shipping online and is in stock.

Anyone know of any place that is a better deal? Thats already cheaper than i thought i could get one.

Thought i might ask before i buy it.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Thats a very good deal on "New". I found the preferences on my Zumo 550 software, set up in mapsource/edit/preferences/routing as "Shortest distance or faster time, and then you can also choose avoidanced roads such as " Tolls, Unpaved, Ferries, carppols, U-turns, combined with a 7 position slider that is either Perfer Minor roads, or perfer hiways.
I am not sure I could do a 100% dirt roads trip in my mapsource, but have never tried.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats a very good deal on "New". I found the preferences on my Zumo 550 software, set up in mapsource/edit/preferences/routing as "Shortest distance or faster time, and then you can also choose avoidanced roads such as " Tolls, Unpaved, Ferries, carppols, U-turns, combined with a 7 position slider that is either Perfer Minor roads, or perfer hiways.
I am not sure I could do a 100% dirt roads trip in my mapsource, but have never tried.

Ok, thats good enough for me. At least it will avoid paved roads instead of only trying to map on paved roads. I've been putting off getting because i like to ride to someplace taking gravel and dirt alot to see the countryside and a GPS would just try to send me down a paved road. With this feature on the Zumo it makes it very interesting to me.

$585 was the cheapest i ended up finding. The 579 was not with free shipping.

thank you for your response.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Ok, thats good enough for me. At least it will avoid paved roads instead of only trying to map on paved roads. I've been putting off getting because i like to ride to someplace taking gravel and dirt alot to see the countryside and a GPS would just try to send me down a paved road. With this feature on the Zumo it makes it very interesting to me.

$585 was the cheapest i ended up finding. The 579 was not with free shipping.

thank you for your response.
One thing I found that was really cool is once you have your route established in mapsource, you can change the file format and then perform a satillite flyby of the whole route in google earth. My 70 year old dad and I did a 1700 mile trip last year, I did the flyby at about 500' and was able to insure they where all hardballs. My dad was on his roadking and I rode the wee.
I doubt you'll be dissapointed in the Zumo 550, its an amaizing. Garmin also are very good foks for customer satifaction, updates, and so on. Once you get it, PM me and I will send you some great links to help get you started. Forgive my spelling, its not as good as it used to be, and i don't know why. I got mine from the GPSLADY.com and want to say 669 or so.
Toll

·
Registered
269 Posts
The Garmin Zumo series can do that.
The Zumo has a paved road avoidance? I'd like to see that.

My 2610 has several avoidance features, and it does only a mediocre job of following my desires. Set it to avoid highways and often it sends me down the interstate.

I could be wrong, but I'd be surprised if the Zumo has an "Avoid Paved Roads" feature.

Jamie

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One thing I found that was really cool is once you have your route established in mapsource, you can change the file format and then perform a satillite flyby of the whole route in google earth. My 70 year old dad and I did a 1700 mile trip last year, I did the flyby at about 500' and was able to insure they where all hardballs. My dad was on his roadking and I rode the wee.
I doubt you'll be dissapointed in the Zumo 550, its an amaizing. Garmin also are very good foks for customer satifaction, updates, and so on. Once you get it, PM me and I will send you some great links to help get you started. Forgive my spelling, its not as good as it used to be, and i don't know why. I got mine from the GPSLADY.com and want to say 669 or so.
Toll

will do, thank you! :cool:

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Zumo has a paved road avoidance? I'd like to see that.

My 2610 has several avoidance features, and it does only a mediocre job of following my desires. Set it to avoid highways and often it sends me down the interstate.

I could be wrong, but I'd be surprised if the Zumo has an "Avoid Paved Roads" feature.

Jamie

If you go to the link below and then click on "specs" (it won't let me link driectly to the specs page) you'll see it says "Route avoidance (avoid highways, tolls etc.)"

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=414&tab=zumo

Hopfully it works because its about 95% of the reason i am buying a GPS at all!

·
Registered
508 Posts
ok, i guess everything i want in a GPS is in the Zumo so its time to bite the bullet and get one instead of cheaping out for somthing i won't like in the end.

I have found it for $579 with free shipping online and is in stock.

Anyone know of any place that is a better deal? Thats already cheaper than i thought i could get one.

Thought i might ask before i buy it.

Where did you find the Zumo for that price?

Thank you in advance.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

·
Registered
180 Posts

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not to burst your bubble there, but you'll be shopping around again for a deal on a Zumo. You're not going to get it from cameraaddict. It's a typical bait and switch place.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Camera_Addict

And that kind of info is the reason i posted before i bought it!
Thanks for the info, you just saved me alot of anger and time!
I know you can't please everyone when your a business, but 37 reviews and all are poor. Looks like they are crooks.
I think i'll look for a different place to buy now and use that site to check up on them!!

Funny thing is: Now that you post that and i read some of the comments. I did notice earlier that thier accesories were terribly overpriced compared to other websites. Now we know why.

Thanks for taking the time to post that!! :cool: I would have ordered it tommorrow most likely if you hadn't!

·
Registered
539 Posts
I'm with Jamie Z.
I seriously doubt that the Zumo has an "avoid paved roads" feature.
I'm sure it has "avoid unpaved roads", but not the other way around.

Even if it did, I find the map software (latest, 2008 version) is still way off pace on having the roads categorized correctly.
If it shows a road as unpaved, its mostly correct, but I have found many, many unpaved roads are categorized the same as a minor paved road.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
I'm with Jamie Z.
You are correct sir!

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Try this place

Gravehunter

Try a google on Edge Navigation. This is where I got my Garmin 2610 for dirt they just might have the Zumo. Also if you go to the Garmin website it will do comparisons for you and features.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm with Jamie Z.

Even if it did, I find the map software (latest, 2008 version) is still way off pace on having the roads categorized correctly.
If it shows a road as unpaved, its mostly correct, but I have found many, many unpaved roads are categorized the same as a minor paved road.

On Garmins website they say it does, ?

If you go to the link below and then click on "specs" (it won't let me link driectly to the specs page) you'll see it says "Route avoidance (avoid highways, tolls etc.)"

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=414&tab=zumo

I think i'll try calling them to see if that is correct, because i don't really need one if it won't do that.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Gravehunter

Try a google on Edge Navigation. This is where I got my Garmin 2610 for dirt they just might have the Zumo. Also if you go to the Garmin website it will do comparisons for you and features.

Thank you for the link, i will try them out.! :cool:

·
Registered
539 Posts
On Garmins website they say it does, ?

I dont see where it says it has avoid setting for paved roads :confused:

I believe it has avoids setting for Highways, toll roads, U-turns, traffic & unpaved roads, but thats it.

I also agree that the 2610 has more settings/adjustments to get you closer to what you want compared to the Zumo.
The 2610 has custom road preferences where you can individually set your preferences for Major, Medium & Minor roads.

Even with those settings its still reluctant to route you on unpaved roads without sprinkling a few via points.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts