StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Wee is a commute bike and a 2 up bike. I like the ABS part of the brake system especially when riding in the rain but the stopping power of the brakes is lousy.

I've owned some bikes with super strong brakes and I miss that on the Wee. The Wee's brakes are really weak and yes the pads, rotors are in excellent shape and the brake fluid has recently been changed and properly bled. Also, my bike has upgraded front brake lines.

Is it necessary to change to SV650/GSX-R600 wheel/forks to get really strong brakes? And obviously ditch the ABS in the process? That is not an option. I want stronger brakes but that is too much trouble and expense.

Can I upgrade the calipers, pads, rotors that are on the ABS Wee? How about some cool SV Racing calipers and pads? Would that work on the Wee and make it stop decently? Anyone done that kind of mod on an ABS? Are there any good kits for stronger brakes that fit ABS bikes?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Wow, I would just be happy to figure a way that wouldn't break the bank to get ABS on my non-ABS '07 Wee.

You can change the calipers out on your bike for better ones. Blair at SV-Racing knows what you need and will sell you the adapter plates to mount the calipers that people are using. I hear that this conversion really works well. Don't know what type of calipers people are using (have seen posts about it but don't remember). Hopefully someone else will point you to one of the threads about doing this conversion.

Just checked Blair's site (www.svracingparts.com) and the adapers fit Tokico or Nissin Calipers. Here is a link on Stromtrooper where Blair is talking about the adapters:

http://www.stromtrooper.com/general...-4-piston-brake-caliper-adapter-brackets.html

And here is a link on Stromtrooper where someone is talking about doing this conversion:

http://www.stromtrooper.com/v-strom-modifications-performance/44196-gsxr-front-calipers-dl-2.html

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
If you go for the caliper change, you really ought to replace the front master cylinder too with an earlier year or a different model.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone done this conversion to stronger calipers/master cylinder on an ABS bike? What kind of improvement did you get? Happy with the change? Worth it? I'd be very interested in feedback from anyone who has tried this.

Also, can anyone speak to what stronger brakes would do to the ABS system if anything? How critical is the match between the stock ABS calipers/pads/master cylinder and the design of the ABS System?

Would stronger brakes put the ABS software out-of-range if it cycles when more braking power is applied than the stock system is capable of? Any problems with that? I wonder if the ABS system kicking in at increased braking levels would generate an ABS fault? I wouldn't think so. Anyone know?

Can I start changing parts on the ABS system and still have it operate "normally", "as designed"? The ABS is the part of the brakes I like. Do I have to swap good ABS for stronger brakes? Or can I modify as above and have both?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Contact Blair at SV Racing. He's got this pretty much figured out. I made an earlier post addressing these very same issues and he contacted me with all the options. He's a great source of info.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Contact Blair at SV Racing. He's got this pretty much figured out. I made an earlier post addressing these very same issues and he contacted me with all the options. He's a great source of info.
Good idea. Will do.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
There have been ABS bikes converted to more powerful calipers with matching master cylinders. It has no effect on the ABS systems. They function as before. People who have done the caliper change but not the master cylinder have reported mushy lever feel.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There have been ABS bikes converted to more powerful calipers with matching master cylinders. It has no effect on the ABS systems. They function as before...
You know, this is a small miracle of technology. This generation of Wee ABS is about the moment in motorcycle history when motorcycle ABS finally works well enough and is transparent enough to pretty much forget. As a former BMW ABS owner this is a happy thing. I loved the ABS on my old Beemer but it had 11 bleeders, two servo pumps and you had to be one determined person to bleed the system yourself, which I did. And that ABS would often cycle when you didn't want it to. Over choppy bumps it give me quite a scare a few times as the brakes kept releasing and the car at the stop sign kept getting closer while my knuckles got whiter and whiter.

The V-Strom ABS which is the same system I think as the F-Series BMWs and some other bikes is a wonderful system to ride on and it bleeds pretty much the same as a normal bike. It hardly ever cycles on when I don't want it to and I can even change the calipers and pads I guess. All very cool.

·
Registered
552 Posts
You know, this is a small miracle of technology. This generation of Wee ABS is about the moment in motorcycle history when motorcycle ABS finally works well enough and is transparent enough to pretty much forget. As a former BMW ABS owner this is a happy thing. I loved the ABS on my old Beemer but it had 11 bleeders, two servo pumps and you had to be one determined person to bleed the system yourself, which I did. And that ABS would often cycle when you didn't want it to. Over choppy bumps it give me quite a scare a few times as the brakes kept releasing and the car at the stop sign kept getting closer while my knuckles got whiter and whiter.

The V-Strom ABS which is the same system I think as the F-Series BMWs and some other bikes is a wonderful system to ride on and it bleeds pretty much the same as a normal bike. It hardly ever cycles on when I don't want it to and I can even change the calipers and pads I guess. All very cool.
Amen. I had the first BMW with ABS many years ago. It was better than non-ABS but not the equal of what we have today. Someone has to be first and once you bring something out and get it into production it will only get better. I don't have ABS on my '05 Wee, it wasn't an option then. However, I do have ABS on my Tiger and love it.

As pointed out, the ABS unit on the Wee is not exclusive to the Wee. If it was it would cost way too much. It should tolerate other calipers, but as The Grey One said, use the matching master cylinder to go with those calipers or don't expect first rate performance.

The underlying principal in ABS is to monitor wheel speeds and then do a "isolate, hold, release, reapply" routine to keep the wheel from slipping. As long as the calipers and master cylinder are close in volume to the original parts it was programed for it should work OK.

BTW: The brakes on my Tiger are way better than the Wee. But, as I have mentioned before, it cost a lot more. And lets remember the Wee was built on a budget. Suzuki did wonders for what the bike cost but it has its limits. I can live with the Wee's stock brakes but my riding on the bike is just lower speed winding country roads. If you start throwing money at the Wee where does it stop? At what point would it be most cost efficient to just buy a more expensive bike that had the power, suspension and brakes you wanted to begin with. Wonder why I bought a Tiger? Love my Wee for what it does but I know its limits. If it were my only bike I know I would see if differently.

Start figuring out what this brake update will cost. Maybe do like Grey Wolf and just do the pad change. I know when its time to re-pad my Wee that is what I will do.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I think the 2 most cost effective changes would be to change the master cylinders and upgrade the pads. Under $200 and big improvement I'm told.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts