StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
I agree it's capable, this topic is getting up there with arguing over octane and chain lube. It's not a can it do it question, it's do you want to do it. The rider is complaining the entire time haha.

To be honest though, I scrubbed the video and I didn't see anything I couldn't manage in my corolla.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah - in my opinion no. Unless offroad means a flat gravel road. It is a nice comfortable light touring bike, for offroad I would want something less top heavy and nearly half the weight
It's ok for what i want. I rode to utah from DC, and i wasnt uncomfortable. It does well, but it's no dual sport. It's slightly better than a fz1 offroad. The video does make it look flatter than what it is.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
The DL650/1000 is a lot like 80/20 tires. Way more suited for pavement than they are off pavement. Sure you can take them off road but the weight and lack of ground clearance will quickly make it a not so enjoyable ride.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

·
Registered
14,228 Posts
At the 49er BMW rally when the GS first came out some of the guys brought along dirt tires to do the English Trials on the hillside of the camp site in the Sierra foothills. One fellow on an old /2 with saddle bags on it did dang near as well as the GS boys. He had street tires on the bike as well.
So much of motor bike operation is in the talent of the operator. Some of us, not me, can do fine in the dirt. I struggle and practice lifting a fallen bike.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
At the 49er BMW rally when the GS first came out some of the guys brought along dirt tires to do the English Trials on the hillside of the camp site in the Sierra foothills. One fellow on an old /2 with saddle bags on it did dang near as well as the GS boys. He had street tires on the bike as well.
So much of motor bike operation is in the talent of the operator. Some of us, not me, can do fine in the dirt. I struggle and practice lifting a fallen bike.
Very true about talent. A good rider will always win no matter what. Im ok with being average. :)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Guessing you didn't grow up on a farm or had relatives on the farm. Who hasn't whipped shitties in the road with a tractor? That one just does it faster
I definitely did grow up driving tractors. However, this enough faster to make me concerned about rolling with no way to get clear.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This section was much easier to ride than the one in the original video. I think i prefer these types of roads than the one i was on before

·
Registered
559 Posts
The V-Strom may be a little better suited to off-road use than, say, a Yamaha R1 (don't tell the guy who rode one around the world). It's still not what I would call particularly "off-road capable".

I mean, basically you can take about any street bike off road, some are just better suited to it than others. The Strom lacks spoked wheels (in most configurations), lacks in ground clearance, lacks in having anything solid to mount a proper skid plate to. Gearing and engine characteristics aren't ideal, either.

I'd say that my old XS400 Heritage Special arguably made a better off-road bike, as it was lighter, had a lower seat high (allowing paddling when necessary), and had a proper downtube type frame that could have allowed mounting a solid skid plate (though it didn't have one). I took that one everywhere - rail trails with some serious washouts, stream crossings, etc, on the beach including the dunes near the beach (yeah I know I shouldn't have been riding in there), and so on. Never dropped it because its center of gravity was low, as was the seat (compared to a V-Strom).

There are other open-class adventure bikes that for sure have more off-road capability, but they'll need a rider that's capable of making use of that capability.

But if you're not too worried about damaging your Strom, or not being able to pick it back up if it drops in the wrong place, then sure, go for it. In the right hands (like many bikes) it's probably capable of a lot more than most of us think. Not my idea of fun, though - wrestling a 500 lb pig in off-road conditions. I'd much sooner be on a 250 dual sport / play bike.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good points. Whenever i say that the vstrom is not a proper dual sport people with them get very offended and tell me to learn to ride. But i've ridden dirt bikes, and i found that riding those are much more fun offroad. But i'd hate to ride them to Utah from DC. The vstrom does everything I want, but it's in our nature to always want to improve. And the reason i also ride the way i ride is because i dont want to damage it, for me dropping it and breaking a part is something im not interested in doing for the sake of impressing people.

·
Registered
559 Posts
The V-Stroms, in general, do of course have some characteristics that make them a bit better suited for off-road use than some street bikes:
  • Relatively narrow wheels and tires front and rear, with a 19" at the front
  • Relatively low weight
  • Fairly narrow through the middle
  • Decent (but not great) ground clearance
  • torquey motor that doesn't need a lot of revs (variable depending on whether we're talking 650 or 1000/1050, and which model years - the early DL1000s like I have really don't care for running much below about 3,500 RPM or so.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts