StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well very soon after I bought my V-Strom last June, I ordered a seat from Sargent Products. It came in, I put it on and was quite content with the seat.

However, on a recent "First Friday Florida V-Strom Lunch" event, one of the other riders, JRShaw, told me of a seat he had, but it sat him too high for his liking. He dropped it by and I put it on my V-Strom. Then I took the bike out for a ride.

To begin with, I am a tall person, 6'4". I like leg room on a bike and to gain some, I put a set of MotorcycleLarry's adaptors on my V-Strom.

Let me say this about the seat that I now had on my V-Strom. It is reportedly made by Rick Mayer. It's attractive, but the beauty of this seat is that it is taller than my Sargent seat and lets me sit back a bit.

I've taken a couple of shots with rulers in place so you can easily see what I'm talking about. The steel ruler is set on the surface of the footpeg and runs up to where the hip would be. The wooden yardstick shows the set back of the seat from the tank.

Which seat do I prefer? The longer and taller seat. It is a lot more comfortable for me when I'm riding.

Of course, YMMV! :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
not sure your question ... "can seats make a difference?" ... is a serious one. seats can make a HUGE difference, as you're finding out. and rick meyer seats are hugely popular among long-distance riders.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
You're making me unhappy with my factory seat. :-D

·
Registered
704 Posts
Man, I really like the looks of that seat. I'm also 6'4", and I have a 1000 seat on my 650. That looks REAL good to me. Do you have a link where I could get one?

·
Registered
316 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Oh, hell yeah, seats make a difference! Here's my Rocky Mayer seat.

So far, I've dropped a G with Rocky on 2 seats. The single mostest bestest investment on any of my bikes to date. Did 1K+ this last weekend and though it has yet to break-in, it's scads and away tons better than a stocker.

Edit: By the way, that top post? That's a Rocky Mayer seat. He's the only one who does not run seams in the bucket. Rick Mayer runs seams in his.

·
Registered
324 Posts
It would be helpful if you'd label the photographs in the first post, ie this is Sargent, this is Mayer.

I went to the Mayer site and the only Vstrom saddle didn't seem to look like either of your photos.

·
Registered
176 Posts
It would be helpful if you'd label the photographs in the first post, ie this is Sargent, this is Mayer.

I went to the Mayer site and the only Vstrom saddle didn't seem to look like either of your photos.
That's because you went to Rick Mayer's site and not Rocky Mayer's. Click.

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Can I ask why you say this??? Have only seen one Rick Mayer, but it lQQked great on my friends F650gs & she found it to be extremly comfy. :???:

Irrelevant seat: Rick Mayer

·
Registered
198 Posts
Doesn't anybody just make different foams for seats that you can install yourself? Seems to me that would be a lot better than the stock foam, just use the stock seat cover and put in a better foam, I've done it to dirtbikes many times. Anybody know of any?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
First of all, my apologies for not including the manufacturer of the seats in my original post. I just didn't think of it. I was simply looking at the difference between the layouts. It is so much nicer with the taller seat.

When I picked up the seat, I was told it was a Rick Mayer seat. However, I needed to remove the seat the other day. When I did so, I saw a "Bill Mayer Seats" tag on the underside of the seat.

I will say this, it is a very comfortable seat. I really enjoyed my Sargent seat, but this one is that much nicer!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Spikester,

Being a legendary cheapskate , I reupholstered my OEM seat. It really wasn’t that bad to do. The vinyl cover just peels off after the staples are removed. I think the OEM foam is attached to the plastic base. I noted where the seat was being a pain in the rear and carved the offending parts away with an angle grinder with a coarse wheel. This makes a lot of foam dust and you need to be somewhat careful as it has a tendency to bite in and leave a big gouge. After carving out a recess for my butt to fit in, I covered the whole seat with a layer of 50% - 1” thick upholstery foam to hide my grinding marks and stapled the vinyl back on. The seat looks OEM but is more comfortable. I don’t know if it’s as good as an aftermarket seat but I’ve gone on 6 hour day trips with no problem. This would have hurt on the original. For $20 and a little work it was really a low risk endeavor. If I were to do it again, I probably would go with 70% density foam. The other problem was getting the staples to go into the hard plastic seat pan. My hand staple gun just bounced off and did not penetrate. I had to borrow a pneumatic staple gun but was still a pain. I bet somebody has some clever trick for these seat pans. I don't remember the dirt bike seat pans being that tough.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts