StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I just wanted to get a cheap ebay LED voltmeter on my bike but want it on a circuit that turns off when the bike is off. Can I just wire it to the positive and negative on the "cigarette" outlet?

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Yes but it will not be a true reading.

Due to wire size and the distance the power will travel your reading will be lower than what you will be getting at the battery.

That is fine you just need to know the difference and do your calculations in your head.

Us a good voltmeter on your battery, start and run your motor then compare this to the reading you are getting on the dash, you will know the difference you need to add.

The Suzuki built in voltmeter on my V2 reads 0.4v low but I know that so it's OK.

I never use the power socket on my bike so I replaced it with a voltmeter, it reads 0.2v low.

·
Premium Member
1,197 Posts
I have a Blue Sea marine Volt meter on my Wr250R. It is pretty bright and likely to be water proof.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
It does work and with no load the voltage reading SHOULD be accurate anyway. It usually isn't and it should be. With no current flowing there can't be any resistive losses, I suspect the error is due to noise pickup rather than voltage drop. As Rolex mentioned you can compensate for the inaccuracy anyway but it is annoying.

Also note, what may be more useful - you can get combo voltmeter and USB outlets. The meter will still be inaccurate, but the USB sockets may be useful.

·
Premium Member
1,197 Posts
I

Interesting, of course, I didn't read the manual, I just assumed..... Mine is a 2017 - I'll check on that.
Thanks for the heads up!
Yeah I like to keep mine on the screen to see how hard my system is working if I have heated clothes on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts