StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I ordered already a Michelin Anakee II rear tire (EDIT: service is coming up in 1 1/2 weeks)
Went to the dealer today, just to talk to the mechanic.
He said that the rear is toast, but that the front doesn't have much left (bike has 7300 miles), and that he strongly recommends not to put an Anakee together with a Trailwing ("different compounds").

What to do?
Get new front Anakee? Or just wait for the front Trailwing to wear in a few 1000 miles and then replace?

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'm sure some will weigh in that are more experienced than I. Here is my .02... I put on a Tourance rear at about the same mileage that you have now. The bike handled great minus the front TW wobble at decel. At just shy of 10k my front TW lost its grip and the bike began to push in 90 degree corners. I parked it and ordered a front Tourance. Now all is well (& no wobble :bigok:). I would do it again and get a little more life out of the front.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sure some will weigh in that are more experienced than I. Here is my .02... I put on a Tourance rear at about the same mileage that you have now. The bike handled great minus the front TW wobble at decel. At just shy of 10k my front TW lost its grip and the bike began to push in 90 degree corners. I parked it and ordered a front Tourance. Now all is well (& no wobble :bigok:). I would do it again and get a little more life out of the front.
Thanks.

I'll probably do the same.
Just he mechanic mentioned that the 'Head mechanic might not allow that mix and match..'
He knows the tires aren't from them (too much $$$ and he agrees..) so I don't think it is about money.

Well, I'll ride then with the tire on me like a Michelin Man (with a Michelin Anakee II.. :green_lol:). If they refuse to Install it, I will have to find somebody else.

BTW: They charge $75 per tire, to install.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
He said that the rear is toast, but that the front doesn't have much left (bike has 7300 miles), and that he strongly recommends not to put an Anakee together with a Trailwing ("different compounds").
Running tires as dissimilar as the the Anakee and Trailwing would greatly increase the risk of you not spending as much money at the dealership.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Running tires as dissimilar as the the Anakee and Trailwing would greatly increase the risk of you not spending as much money at the dealership.
So, you think it is dangerous..
Get the new front?

It is not about money, just seems a waste to throw away a tire which can still be used.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I think he was kidding :) also, see whether shopping around gets you a better price for mounting the tire, seems like the price is possibly a little steep?

I've got non matching tires, and out hadn't killed me yet, though perhaps it may at any moment... ;)

·
Registered
248 Posts
I think he's saying the stealership doesn't want to run the risk of getting less of your money.

Shop around for the tire change. I pay thirty after tax for a tire change and balance if I bring the wheel in off the bike.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys.
OK - I will keep the front for now :)

As for taking of the tire - with all honesty and modesty, I currently don't have the skills to do it. I can surely try, but I might end up braking something.
In particular the rear tire.
If I could watch somebody do it with me, then the next time will be easy.
Also without a center stand, I think it would be a bit hard.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Good luck to you and enjoy that new rear tire!

I found threads here that walked me through taking off the rear and front tire. It wasn't a big deal. However, if I didn't have a center stand I don't think I would have tried it.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I've got the Metzler Tourance rear with an Avon Distanzia front. Been running this way a few thousand miles. No issues and I am scraping pegs.

·
Registered
15,544 Posts
of 10k my front TW lost its grip and the bike began to push in 90 degree corners

My Battle wings are feeling that way.
I got the bike with a Tourance rear and something else front. handled great. Then I got the Bridgestones. I may go that way again.
Mixing tires isn't a bad idea except to those convinced otherwise.

·
Registered
386 Posts
As for taking of the tire - with all honesty and modesty, I currently don't have the skills to do it. I can surely try, but I might end up braking something.
In particular the rear tire.
If I could watch somebody do it with me, then the next time will be easy.
Also without a center stand, I think it would be a bit hard.
Without the center stand it would be challenging, but not unheard of. Some jackstand(s) for support would work. Here's a link to a post and vidclip on VRSI which is very informative on the how to do a tire change (just try to overlook the theatrical music which accompanies it...)
How to change tires...

For what its worth - after my original stock tires wore out I've never had a matching pair and they've worked out fine.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Without the center stand it would be challenging, but not unheard of. Some jackstand(s) for support would work. Here's a link to a post and vidclip on VRSI which is very informative on the how to do a tire change (just try to overlook the theatrical music which accompanies it...)
How to change tires...

For what its worth - after my original stock tires wore out I've never had a matching pair and they've worked out fine.
I am buying new Pilot 3 and picking them up in a week, and decided to do both f & r, because the idea of a really good street tire on the rear and a not-yet-worn but so-so original tire on the front just sounds scary to me. To each their own, this is a personal decision.

I was considering doing my own tire changes, and likely will next time around. Right now most everything is in storage and I'm in transient mode, so have no good place to work. I could have had them installed near where I am picking them up in Upstate NY for $110 + $15 disposal fee + taxes for the two.

So, I'll do the Bibedum thing and bring the tires back here. I have found two local entrepreneurs who will change and balance my tires for between $22.50 and $30 + tax each, and they don't care where you bought your tires. (no darksides, though.) That price is for riding the bike in, not carrying the wheels in! I will be right there when they do the changeover - something I can't do at a dealership. Shop around, there is no need to pay $50+ to get a tire changed. Look up motorcycle tires on your local buy and sell sites - that's where some of these small-business people advertise.

Marc

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am buying new Pilot 3 and picking them up in a week, and decided to do both f & r, because the idea of a really good street tire on the rear and a not-yet-worn but so-so original tire on the front just sounds scary to me. To each their own, this is a personal decision.

I was considering doing my own tire changes, and likely will next time around. Right now most everything is in storage and I'm in transient mode, so have no good place to work. I could have had them installed near where I am picking them up in Upstate NY for $110 + $15 disposal fee + taxes for the two.

So, I'll do the Bibedum thing and bring the tires back here. I have found two local entrepreneurs who will change and balance my tires for between $22.50 and $30 + tax each, and they don't care where you bought your tires. (no darksides, though.) That price is for riding the bike in, not carrying the wheels in! I will be right there when they do the changeover - something I can't do at a dealership. Shop around, there is no need to pay $50+ to get a tire changed. Look up motorcycle tires on your local buy and sell sites - that's where some of these small-business people advertise.

Marc
Thanks, Marc.
That's exactly what I'm looking for - a reasonable installation fee.
I feel the stealership is robbing me for $70 + tax per tire.

·
Registered
22,313 Posts

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
change and balance my tires for between $22.50 and $30 + tax each, ... That price is for riding the bike in,
That sounds too cheap. Make sure there are no misunderstandings about the price or the service expected.

·
Registered
22,313 Posts
nothing wrong with mixing tires, just remember to not outride your least capable tire of the two
+1 couldn't agree more
Sometimes not outriding a tire takes discipline, I still got my "winter" tires on, in winter its easy to limit speeds to 65 or less, even with heated gear windchill is a factor, and obviously when conditions are slick its wise to slow down as well

now that is getting warmer, traffic is flowng faster, ya gotta go 70 on the highway or your a road hazard. my studded Karoo T in front gets kinda sketchy, gotta stay below 65 to have any confidence

next I'll be tryin a Tourance with my General Altimax Arctic on back

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts