StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm tired of having to stop and pull off a glove every time I want to interact with my phone while riding. But I don't want to replace 3 sets of gloves to do it.

I've heard of threads and liquid treatments that can be used on the glove fingertips, but I haven't seen many non-biased reviews.

Anyone tried anything that was successful?

·
Administrator
6,210 Posts
I have not done this myself but I would be tempted to try a patch of firm setting silicone on your gloves index finger pad.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Super Moderator
4,615 Posts
PM AstroBob. He bought some conductive fingertips for his gloves. They work a treat.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Call me flint stone but still have a line phone at home. My wife has got me my third cell now because gone so much and lost the first two or first one as found the second after the third in camp gear. They have no service in over half the places us old coots wind up at. Mine stays in a box turned off.I take it out once a month and check charge. Allso never had a gas card till 2011 when it seemed like a good idea on trips and do use it even around home now. Still hill billy as can be. Have carried a pistol a long time and had years before my CC. Never used it on a trip....or any I want to talk about!>:)

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I tried the touch screen glove coating stuff, wasn't impressed.

I tether a stylus to my tank bag.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
We all understand that phone pokery whilst riding is a REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY ABYSMALLY AWFUL BAD idea, right?

That said, sometimes all you need is just... one... stinkin'... tap... to recenter the map or whatever.

I've found that a furtive bit of spit does the job -- make sure no one's looking, then lick the tip of your glove.

If you need more than one poke, pull the hell over. Please.

Reactions: TOScootz and Spec

·
Registered
327 Posts
I tether a stylus to my tank bag.
I do the exact same. None of capacitive touch-enabled gloves have worked well for me and they certainly don't give any sort of fine input focus if they do work. Tether a stylus (I use a retractable badge holder from work) to your tank bag and call it a day.

·
Registered
159 Posts
If I need to do a quick swipe/move - I just lick my fingertip. I know it sounds gross. Now, the more I think about it - it's pretty darn gross. But, it works.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I use a tethered stylus....it's more accurate than my finger, I've found.

But, another method that works good is to rivet/punch a fabric snap (the dome side) to the tip of your finger.

No-Sew Touchscreen Gloves | Make:

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
I'm tired of having to stop and pull off a glove every time I want to interact with my phone while riding. But I don't want to replace 3 sets of gloves to do it.

I've heard of threads and liquid treatments that can be used on the glove fingertips, but I haven't seen many non-biased reviews.

Anyone tried anything that was successful?
Yes, you can do it. I've done it to a couple different pairs of gloves. Here's the link to a posting describing how I made mine using electrically conductive thread.

It comes in handy as long as you aren't trying to dial a number or something. I should clarify that it would work for that if you wore some really thin driving gloves that fit really tight, and you kept the contact patch really small. I don't wear gloves like that to ride, and I definitely don't dial the phone when I'm riding. I did it so I could swipe across my phone and change a song while I was riding, before I figured out how to change the songs using the jog dial on my Sena headset. The trick is to make sure the thread goes all the way through the fingertip of the glove so it's actually touching your finger, otherwise it won't work. I did a pair of Sedici gloves not too long ago, and they work fine. Lots cheaper than buying conductive gloves; the thread is like 8 bucks.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/techy-w...g-glove-into-touchscreen-sensitive-glove.html

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
On a pair of summer gloves I just cut the index finger of the glove half way so the tip folded back for use then flipped back over my finger tip

I find gloves awkward at best even if touch sensitive.
Have you thought about getting serious about voice activation/dictation/etc ....it's available. "Siri find the nearest Starbucks" etc

https://www.imore.com/how-use-siri-google-maps

·
Registered
198 Posts
Aren't we suppose to be out enjoying the ride? I just want to ride....just ride. Any phoning can be taken care of when I or you stop. Get a Sena headset and then you can do whatever on the phone. Most states are and should be "HANDS FREE"!!!! My Living is more important than a phone call or having some idiot causing a crash!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts