StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been on the forums for over a year now. I moved from S. California to South Carolina (Fort Mill), near where my son lives in June of '06. My Wee-Strom has been rotting in the garage since last June (shameful, I know). Been thinking about getting into a serious trip next summer (bike sure wants to go, she told me after punishing me with a depleted battery-I bought her a trickle charger 'cause I felt so ashamed of ignoring her). Thought I'd do Alaska and the Dempster Hwy. in the North West Territories, 'cause they're there, that's why. Plus, I'm an ol' fart now and I just ain't got another half century of ridin' in me. So, yesterday (Black Friday) on buying a new hard-drive for my daughter, the store had the Tom-Tom "ONE" at less than half its regular price and there were two left on the table when I spied them and so I picked one up. Now, I own it and I hadn't even investigated what GPS device to get and for a detail-oriented planner like me, well that just isn't done. Oh well, I'm getting older and less anal now.

So, forum, here's my question. Do ya think I can get this Tom-Tom "ONE" to work on my steed? I'm open for ideas and I just know there are a lot of you smart, skilled, resourceful V-Strommers out there. Plus, I got till Memorial Day (more or less) of '08 to "git it on" with this project.

Cheers,

Ctalld (aka Dennis)
PS Any of you riders wanna do a "far north" ride?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Dennis

I ain't no farkle expert beleive me but if it helps..

I have used tom tom for 4 years now and have a Tom Tom Rider (and also a tom tom 'go' in my car) - not heard of tom tom one. However, the tom tom is superb and has NEVER let me down. I have the rider on the centre of my handlebars with a neat little bracket made up by the dealer and wired straight onto the battery. operates no probs and I am sure you'll get a fit for yours.
I had considered using the car tom tom nut it's a bit wieldy and not waterproof.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
I think you should be fine. Vibration and water will be your main enemy's. I think a pelican case and some foam should cure that pretty good :)

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
I have a Tom Tom One and I love it. I have seen prices lately as low as$139.00. All you need is a RAM mount and the line that connects it to the battery at a the right voltage, I found it on e-bay. Get the screen film protector and if possible some type of bracket that will protect it from direct sun light, to avoid having to cover it with your hand to be able to see it.
Good choice!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've got a metal shelf from pat walsh that I bought (for my radar). The tom tom one's suction cup holds very securely on that shelf. Already had it so didn't need the ram mount. Also have the 12v powerlet with cigar lighter adapter.

I might just add a tether in case it does pop loose while riding.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
So, forum, here's my question. Do ya think I can get this Tom-Tom "ONE" to work on my steed?
I sure hope so... I just bought one. Found a TomTom One LE for $150 and it was just too good to pass up. Works great so far, but haven't tried it on the bike yet.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
I sure hope so... I just bought one. Found a TomTom One LE for $150 and it was just too good to pass up. Works great so far, but haven't tried it on the bike yet.

I picked up a TomTom ONE LE from BestBuy last week. It's great in my car but the Bluetooth will not pair with my earbud, only with a cell phone for handsfree calling. Anybody know how to do this?

I'm thinking about swapping the LE for a TomTom ONE 3rd edition ($150 also) because it has an audio jack for a corded headset. Has anybody wired up to the 3rd edition?

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
I've got a metal shelf from pat walsh that I bought (for my radar). The tom tom one's suction cup holds very securely on that shelf. Already had it so didn't need the ram mount. Also have the 12v powerlet with cigar lighter adapter.

I might just add a tether in case it does pop loose while riding.
I dropped mine several times within the first few hours because it wouldn't stick to any of the flat surfaces I could find (or to the mounting disk provided). I'm going with a custom mount of some sort.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts