StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All I want to know is, is there a consensus of which viscosity oil seems to make the somewhat noisy trans quieter in the Vstrom 1000?

Does 20-50w help with this over 10-40w, that's all I want to know. I don't care about the brand and I don't want an oil pissing contest going on, just a simple yes or no.

Is this possible?

If this seems to help, I'll switch from the 10-40w I'm currently running to 20-50w to quiet things down.

·
Registered
522 Posts
If you are referring to the noise that the clutch basket makes while idling and the clutch released, there isn't any difference. Some run the oil level height a little on the high side so it dampens this noise a bit.

I only deal with this issue for about 2 minutes a day. This is when I'm starting it for the first time that day and letting it warm a bit. I always leave it in gear at a stoplight as I might have to take evasive action on a moments notice.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Sorry, it's just not that simple. Some brands of oil may seem to quiet things for some people, but viscosity reportedly makes very little diff. The Vee makes a little more noise than a Wee. You can wear ear plugs as many have suggested, or you can just realize that that noise is not indicative of trouble. It's just noise.:yesnod:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, that was simple enough. It doesn't make much difference.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Yes. No wait, no.

·
Registered
187 Posts
After riding my Vulcan Nomad (great bike for a cruiser!), the Vee sounds almost stealth-like! :) At least so far . . .but then, I only have about 2600 miles on it.

·
Registered
522 Posts
After riding my Vulcan Nomad (great bike for a cruiser!), the Vee sounds almost stealth-like! :) At least so far . . .but then, I only have about 2600 miles on it.
If you had one with the noisy lifters then yes the Vee engine is very quiet.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ear plugs.....

My 1st bikes sounded like they were sewing tents...who cares?
LOL, thanks for the giggle. I've come to accept it as part of the character of the bike for the most part. Heck, it could sound like a Ducati with a dry clutch right?

I was just thinking that if the heavier oil helped a bit then I'd switch at the next oil change, that's all.

I try to standardize my oils between bikes if possible so I have less types in the garage. My DRZ400 calls for 10-40w and works well it, while my KLR really prefers the 20-50w. So I'm kinda split either way. Since it's summer, I'll probably try the 20-50w next time just to see how it goes.

·
Registered
22,310 Posts
My DRZ400 calls for 10-40w and works well it, while my KLR really prefers the 20-50w.

I'm baffled, does yer KLR spit 10w40 out and honk a code to you that says I want 20-50w btw, not sure where you get 20-50w unless you really mean 20w-50

back to the original question

what transmission noise ? AFIK nothing other than 10w40 has even been in my Vee, possibly my dealer may have used 10w50

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm baffled, does yer KLR spit 10w40 out and honk a code to you that says I want 20-50w btw, not sure where you get 20-50w unless you really mean 20w-50
LOL, ya something like that. Sorry 'bout the typo. The heavier oil helps reduce my '09 KLR's appetite for oil. :headbang:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts