StromTrooper banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, so i've been battling myself in my head for sometime now and decided to lay it out there for some feedback...:headbang:

i've currently got the E360 side cases and givi racks on my wee...while they are functional and they were "free" (since they came on the bike) they just don't seem to fit me and what i am wanting...i don't like the suit case style and i don't care for the plastic, and i have no flat areas to mount anything to!

so what i've been wanting to do is get a set of aluminum top loader panniers that would work on my givi rack? is this doable? or would it be easier to sell my whole rack and bags as a set and then buy a new rack and bags set?

i wouldn't mind staying with the "plastic" type panniers if they were top loader and some what square on top, like the new givi trekker or maybe those pelican top loaders?

should i stick with what i got because they cost me nothing? or should i sell and try to get what i really want? or can i just sell the bags and buy a new set? :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
You can make the panniers work with Givi's. Easy-off would be a little more complicated but doable. Just depends on how particular you are. Which do you have more of, time or money. :beatnik:

·
Premium Member
3,419 Posts
bassbronco_74 i wouldn't mind staying with the "plastic" type panniers if they were top loader and some what square on top said:
Well the Trekkers should fit those brackets. Just double check that before you order some.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I say get what you really want, even if it requires new racks.

I looked long and hard at pelicans as top-loaders. My beef was the width they add to the bike for the return on capacity. By my math the 1440's on Givi racks would put the total width at 45.5"!! That does net >30L of capacity, but man that is wide!

1430's measure out at a more reasonable ~41" across.. but only net 15L of storage.

Meanwhile E21's net 21L of storage and measure 36.5" across. Very much worth the price, IMO.

By my math the TRK33N's are similar: 33L of storage and still under 40" across. This makes the proper motorcycle top-loaders beat the pelican top-loaders. They look great and I would definitely consider them if the E21's are too small for you.

Side loaders are a different story. I think there are far more option in clam-shell pelicans, and as such it is easier to get something that works better for MC use. For instance all of the Pelican 15xx series and storm iM2x00 series I considered still keep the width under 40".

I dropped my bike on the E21's and have just have some scuffs to show for it. They survived the impact. These plastic bags are tougher than you might think.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yes you can...

Two options:
A) Not cheap, but you keep the Givi quick release hardware: install these brackets (or similar).

or

B) Cheap :thumbup: : just remove the Givi quick release hardware (pins and latch) and use a standard mounting technique like Happy Trails

I would do the second and use VStroma, Muffin-Top, or these boxes...
See this thread for more box discussion...

or you can sell what you have and start over, getting exactly what you want...:fineprint:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all the great feed back so far! it's nice to get other opinions on this kind of subject matter...helps makes my decisions a little easier!

keep the ideas coming!

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
My ammo cans are bolted to Givi racks. They are not 'quick-release' but are bolted on to the racks. I will do the same with aluminum boxes if I get some. I never take them off so a quick-release system is not required for me.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I say get what you really want, even if it requires new racks.
+1. There are some good, top-load aluminum cases out there. Jesse's, Happy Trails, Moto-Sports are three. They can be purchased with racks that are designed for your bike.

IMO, that's a better solution than "custom fitting" aluminum cases to your Givis.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts