StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about adding some side panels to my radiator, of a wide angle, to get some more air into the radiator.

Um, how weird is this idea? I can't see how it would be a BAD thing (almost did it to my SV650), since it is tucked up partially in the fairing.

Might do it to the oil cooler if I can't find a short peice of pipe-wrap.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'd ask why, the system was engineered with the knowledge where the radiator is located and the amount of air that would be flowing over it and the volume of coolant available.

There is no known issue with the bike running hot but there are a number of troubles that can crop up if a bike doesn't reach the designed operating temperture especailly on a ecm controlled fuel injected bike.

If your bike is running normally hot (4 bars) then a number of checks or inspections are in order instead of trying to cure the issue without knowing the cause.

C

·
0 Posts
I've been thinking about this too. My bike idles at 4 bars and the fan drops it to 3...then back to 4. Dealer says it's normal. I said no. They said yes. I said no. They called Suzuki, they said yes. I said last year it ran at 2-3, they said it's fine. I said it's not, they said it is. Let's see what the next dealer has to say.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Leads to several more questions then, how long does it take of idling to get to 4 bars? Extended idling of 5-10 minutes or a bit longer would be normal. In what kind of conditions does it hit 4 bars, in heavy traffic stop and go and high temps this is normal.

Is the system filled with water and coolant? With no more than 60% antifreeze, less antifreeze makes for better cooling than more. The system only holds about 4.6 pints of coolant including the reserve tank.

Has the cooling system been serviced, coolant replaced? If so was the system bleed?

Is the radiator fins clean and free of obstructions like insects, mud and othe crap?

Has the radiator cap been tested for pressure?

Has the temp sender been tested for accuracy?

The thermostat operating properly and opening when it should?

The above tests are simple tasks using a thermometer or multimeter and a pan of heated water.

And is the fan working properly? and the sender for it turning on accurate so it is coming on at the right point.

The final test involves pulling the water pump impellor and inspecting it and the bearing, much more involved the the preceding components tests and if no noise is noted or any evidence of oil in the coolant or water in the oil probably isn't indicated.

My bike with an '03 1000 with 44k miles will normally run at two bars, and in heavy traffic at slow speeds it will normally hit 4 bars but a friends '04 will run at normal and same conditions as mine at 3 bars and will go to 4 about the same time. We ran the above tests on his bike and found nothing out of specificatons so we put it down to it being the slower blue than my yellow.

C

·
0 Posts
I guess riding at 3 bars and idling at 4 after riding, is acceptable. I was worried that in might be a problem as the last 2 yeas I've riden at 2 bars, idled at 3. Dealer refused to look at any of the above items, and the bike is under extended warranty.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
You really have to tell us what bike you're riding. Put it in your profile. My bike always runs at 3 bars no matter what. I was in a traffic jam in Boston on friday that made me wonder when it would go to four bars. Never did. I think 3 bars is normal for the 650 and four bars for the 1000?

·
Registered
360 Posts
The temperature gauge on my DL650 quickly goes up to 3 bars and stays there no matter what the driving conditions. Even though I live in Minnesota, we have had over 20 days of 90+ degree heat that I have commuted in this summer. I would not consider 4 bars normal unless you parked it in the sun and let it idel for an extended period of time.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess I was just looking at the bike weird. While taking off the tank yesterday, I sat in front of the bike, and noticed that there really IS no blockage of the radiator from the fairing like I thought there might be. My bike runs at normal temps, I just thought it would be nice to give it more air :)

the oil cooler is still a different problem :)

S

·
0 Posts
My bike (1000) always runs at 2 bars. If I get off the highway and sit at a stoplight it will go to 3 bars and the fan will kick on and it will stay at 3 bars until I take off again and go about a half mile at 35-40mph then it will drop back down to 2 bars and stay there until I get caught at another light. I have never seen 4 bars on my bike and would feel like it was on the verge of overheating if I did.

The 650 probably does run hotter as it is working harder. I have a 04 DL1000.

·
Registered
61 Posts
hi senecagreen
i have an 04 dl1000 and my bike runs as yours does. it has never seen 4 bars no matter how long it idles or what tempeture it is. at 4 bars i would think it's overheating as well as it has never done this. i guess i should look in the manual and see what temp it is at 4 bars.

Kaos

senecagreen said:
My bike (1000) always runs at 2 bars. If I get off the highway and sit at a stoplight it will go to 3 bars and the fan will kick on and it will stay at 3 bars until I take off again and go about a half mile at 35-40mph then it will drop back down to 2 bars and stay there until I get caught at another light. I have never seen 4 bars on my bike and would feel like it was on the verge of overheating if I did.

The 650 probably does run hotter as it is working harder. I have a 04 DL1000.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My K4 DL 650 runs at 3 bars all the the time. Never seen four even in hot weather. I have heard the fans come on the odd time after I park it in the garage and turn the motor off (ignition was still on though).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hot runner

There is a product that will drop your water temp somewhat. It's called Water Wetter. Breaks down the surface tension of the liquid, allowing it to flow with less friction so better circulation. I've used it in my KZ1300 (legendary cooker), various cages, and my tractor. Never had a problem with it. Doesn't seem to be harmful to the system.

Like the others, I'd be a little concerned about what is causing the bike to run hotter than normal in the first place.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Three bars all the time, in Virginia heat that has me up to about six bars.

Heck, I even keep looking at long stops to see if the fan comes on......never has.

S

·
0 Posts
I've used Water Wetter myself in many bikes but have found that Engine Ice works a little better, only due to the fact that it's a coolant as wellas an anti-freeze where the Water Wetter is a coolant only.
A general rule of thumb is to change the fluid every two years with either of these products.

·
Registered
58 Posts
This topic has got me thinking. My '05 650 runs at 3 bars 99% of the time. One night I was parked on the side of the road post ride to say adios and the red hot light came on. It was idling for 5 min. or so and the temp. was 70 F. Another time I was in incredibly slow stop and go traffic with an air temp of 80-85 F and I had to pull over and turn the bike off due to that I thought it was going to boil over. I will look at all of the above listed checks to see what is up.
I have been reading the site and I think I am blessed with a Wednesday manufactured bike. Zero issues except the 2 HOT ones. I have 14,000km on it (8K miles) :D

K

·
0 Posts
i've also had issues with heating...i was looking for a friend's place in a trailer park where they had GIANT speed bumps ever twenty feet, so i was only going 5-10mph...after about 5mins of this, my temp gauge was at a full 5 bars.

·
Registered
360 Posts
keithrj said:
i've also had issues with heating...i was looking for a friend's place in a trailer park where they had GIANT speed bumps ever twenty feet, so i was only going 5-10mph...after about 5mins of this, my temp gauge was at a full 5 bars.
You need to check your cooling system. The cooling system on the 650 is incredibly over-engineered and should not overheat unless you're sitting still and revving the motor a bunch. I have never seen more than three bars on my temp gauge, even when riding stop and go traffic on a 95 degree day.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I agree with that sounding hot. Mine's never hit 4 bars. I don't idle much though. Yesterday morning, it was 28 degrees F on the way to work, and it stayed at 2 bars for almost the whole ride. Toward the end (and after some nice 95mph corners :lol: :lol: ) it hit three bars and stayed there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts