StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick one.
I want to clean the chain, rims and all the metals parts that are covered with dirt and grime etc.
Can I use kerosene?
Cheers
Micha

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Chain........YES, recommended by Bike Magazines. I'm not sure about painted surfaces?? Kerosene is oil-based, right??......would that hurt painted surfaces?? I'm sure others more knowledgable will chime in shortly......:mrgreen:

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Kerosene is a poor choice for cleaning dirt. It is oily, and you'll have to use a cleaner to remove the kero. Being petroleum, kero rots rubber--tires & valve stems--so get all the kero off those parts.

Kerosene is good if you've used a chain lube that is very sticky. Otherwise there is little need for it. Many popular cleaning products, including many household ones, will do the job you require.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Kerosene is a poor choice for cleaning dirt. It is oily, and you'll have to use a cleaner to remove the kero. Being petroleum, kero rots rubber--tires & valve stems--so get all the kero off those parts.

Kerosene is good if you've used a chain lube that is very sticky. Otherwise there is little need for it. Many popular cleaning products, including many household ones, will do the job you require.
+1 :iagree:

Just a quick one.
I want to clean the chain, rims and all the metals parts that are covered with dirt and grime etc.
Can I use kerosene?
Cheers
Micha
per the strom service manual you are supposed to use kerosene to clean the chain.

i don't as i found a nice o-ring safe chain cleaner from my local motorcycle store.

as far as the rest of the bike goes i haven't washed mine yet, but i've only owned it since april and put about 6,000 miles on it, so i don't know if it's ready for a bath yet...but when it comes time, i will probably use S100 motorcycle cleaner, i used to use that on my harley and it worked well, and it's easy to use...

·
Registered
15,401 Posts
I use kerosene/paint thinner to clean the rims and stuff that gets greasy. WD40 on the chain 'cus I have it and MEK on anything that resists the other two.

·
Administrator
13,663 Posts
There is no good reason to clean the chain.

For the rest of the stuff you might want to get some "waterless hand cleaner." (Not the stuff with any abrasive in it.) I find it works fabulously on getting grease and oil off most surfaces and seems to be quite gentle.

..Tom

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
At Greywolf's recommendation (this is the only way to validate my posts) I use Magic Eraser pads on the rim and their parts in the fling zone. I use kerosene on the chain, unlike most motorcycle owners, I don't assume that I can outwit Suzuki's engineering department on a hunch.

I clean the chain, I disagree with V-Tom in the regard that cleaning the chain removes unwanted mass from a major moving part. I think it may even improve fuel consumption, but his spreadsheet may suggest otherwise. I do know that after cleaning the chain and sprockets, the wheel spins more freely which may improve efficiencies enough to make a difference somewhere.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
I stopped cleaning the chain when I started using DuPont multipurpose dry wax lube with Teflon. A petroleum based lube that attracts dirt can be a different story. Also, the wheels and frame don't get as dirty. Pledge furniture polish has replaced the Mr. Clean magic eraser for me.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Pledge furniture polish has replaced the Mr. Clean magic eraser for me.
Dammit Pat, when are you going to become predictable.

Maybe I just encounter (seek out) more gravelly roads, but even using the Dupont lube, my chain gets a nice coating of gritty gook on a regular basis.

·
Administrator
13,663 Posts
Dammit Pat, when are you going to become predictable.

Maybe I just encounter (seek out) more gravelly roads, but even using the Dupont lube, my chain gets a nice coating of gritty gook on a regular basis.
Using HHS2000 I find that there is very little accumulation of crud on the chain and I am on gravel roads almost every day at some point. When I do lube the application of lube seems to take away crud that is left anyway, and I only really apply lube to the area where the side plates touch each other although lube gets all over.

On my recent ride to the grand Canyon I ran out of HHS2000 and bought a chain lube. I forget the brand but it was one that was not supposed to "fling" or attract dirt. I suspect that "no fling" is a bad idea as it just keeps crud on the chain and seemed to cause some links to be a bit sticky. When I got home and used my HHS2000 the sitcky links freed up. I am beginning to think that dedicated chain lube is a bad idea. Just lube often with oil based lube or get an auto chain oiler and run regular oil or tranny oil.

If the mess on the wheel and the rest of the bike bothers you then clean it with the waterless hand cleaner or other solution. (I am really impressed with how well the stuff works even though I rarely clean the bike.)

..Tom

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Most of the yucky stuff can be removed using this stuff or something similar...

I usually buy it at Costco in a one gallon jug with an included spray bottle.
It's great for car washing, degreasing and other general cleaning chores.

There is a dilution chart included with it. A couple of capfuls in a pail of warm/hot water for washing the car works great!

The crap on your rear wheel from your chain, spray on full strength, let sit and hose off--of course NEVER use a strong spray (pressure washer) on your o-ring chain...

Once you get the major crap removed, then wash the bike like you'd wash your car.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Bug and Tar Remover

So on a random dig through my cleaning products I decided to try bug and tar remover to clean my chain and fling areas.

Worked like a charm. :thumbup:

Then after each cleaning I dry the chain and spray WD 40 on the chain, let set and then wipe the excess off. Ride it a few miles for some heat and then coat with prefered lube.

·
Administrator
17,206 Posts
Yes Kerosene works excellent..........and NO it wont damage a thing, matter of fact it is probably a very good thing to use on oring chains.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes Kerosene works excellent..........and NO it wont damage a thing, matter of fact it is probably a very good thing to use on oring chains.
Thinking back on it. Back when my father and I used to race Hare Scrambles. We would pull the chains off the bike and some point and clean them with K1 and then with soap and water. Later we would soak them in used engine oil for a few days while we continued to maintence other parts of the bike.

-bryan

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Yes Kero Good

Home made motor wash kero with Dawn in it water rinse

Obvious Kero is flamable and stinky
...and not so good to wash into the sewers, soak into the soil--eventually into water table, etc.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Kerosene can be used on your O'ring chain and rear wheel.
Many chain makers recommend it. I have YET to find any chain maker say its OK to use WD40 on their chain. So, I don't.
Put some papers down to catch the run off from chain cleaning.
Do that when ya polish your shoes, too.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
...When I do lube the application of lube seems to take away crud that is left anyway, and I only really apply lube to the area where the side plates touch each other although lube gets all over.
So, what should one be lubing on the chain? I wipe down with kerosene (cleans something off) and spray top, bottom, and both sides with DuPont, but don't know why?

To stay on topic, somewhat, the rest of the bike gets washed in Dawn and water followed by Protectall on the painted surfaces and clear plastics and Macquire's protectant on the black plastic bits. This ritual is followed whenever, and only when, I do maintenance or accessorize. Chain care is dealt with whenever I "feel" it is needed, probably approximately following manufacturer's recommendations.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
+1. Kerosine is harmless to paint and plastic, and very good at cutting greasy dirt, oil, etc. Once the heavy grime is gone, follow with detergent and water for a nice clean machine.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I stopped cleaning the chain when I started using DuPont multipurpose dry wax lube with Teflon. A petroleum based lube that attracts dirt can be a different story. Also, the wheels and frame don't get as dirty. Pledge furniture polish has replaced the Mr. Clean magic eraser for me.
+1. DuPont Teflon multi-lube does not fling off at all, and repels nearly all dirt/water. If my chain starts to look a little grungy (mostly when I've been riding in the rain) I'll spray it with WD-40, wipe it down with a paper towel, and then spray it with the multi-lube. In the summer the chain is clean enough that I can usually just re-lube the chain without even cleaning it. I've never needed to clean the rear wheel due to fling-off.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts