StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have an '08 Wee where the previous owner installed a cheapo non locking gas cap for reasons unknown, thus I get the obvious suction problem after 30 minutes of riding, which is quite annoying. Has anyone seen a vented cap for under $100-150? I've seen some in the 150-200 range, but that seems awfully high for such a simple part. Advice?

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
10,380 Posts
There's the Chinese copy. Should work OK.
Also here.
Keep in mind that Suzuki does not keep on reinventing the wheel for each and every Suzuki.

·
Registered
5,056 Posts
Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t the tank vented and not the gas cap?

I’m guessing that if you experiencing venting problems someone either capped off the tank vent or it’s plugged up orthe bent hose is pinched. Could also be an issue if the evap system is intact.

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
10,380 Posts
Follow the instructions in this thread.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I know the thread. I don't have a California (do they have the evap canister in Australia as well?) bike so there should be a vent on my cap, which my cheap one does not. Unless I'm missing something?

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
10,380 Posts
Follow the thread. Take the one you have apart. The thread has images of the two different versions, and what you need to do to convert from one to the other.
The EVAP canister is a uniquely CA invention. If your cap is the CA version you can convert it.
If not, you will see how to unblock it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Follow the thread. Take the one you have apart.
In my original post, I mentioned that I don't have the stock cap, so there's no taking it apart or converting it to CA/non CA. I have a cheap aftermarket one. As in, not the stock one. Like, it's not the one that comes on the bike from the factory. The one that comes on the bike? I don't have it. It's gone, I don't own it. Anyways... Was just asking if someone knows of a suitable replacement without having to spend a ton on an OEM one or the Vortex. 🤨 If there's not, that's fine, I'll buy an expensive one.

·
Registered
5,056 Posts
In my original post, I mentioned that I don't have the stock cap, so there's no taking it apart or converting it to CA/non CA. I have a cheap aftermarket one. As in, not the stock one. Like, it's not the one that comes on the bike from the factory. The one that comes on the bike? I don't have it. It's gone, I don't own it. Anyways... Was just asking if someone knows of a suitable replacement without having to spend a ton on an OEM one or the Vortex. 🤨 If there's not, that's fine, I'll buy an expensive one.
It doesn't matter if you do not have the OEM gas cap as the step x step tutorial is showing how to take an aftermarket non-vented gas cap and make it vented

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
10,380 Posts
If Wastelander were to buy a cheap cap he may find the same issue with it. I'd rather study the differences as pictured in my link and work out how to engineer some sort of equivalent for his existing cap.
the vent is just a very small hole (less than half a mm) engineered in such a way as to prevent spillage in a fall.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It doesn't matter if you do not have the OEM gas cap as the step x step tutorial is showing how to take an aftermarket non-vented gas cap and make it vented
I don't think you understand. My cap is a 2mm flat metal disk with threaded edges, which screws into it's own basic assembly, that's all it is.

Larry is correct, my current cap has absolutely none of the components present on the original, so short of expensively fabricating my own spring assisted one-way relief valve from scratch like some sort of mad scientist with a CNC mill, modification of this one simply isn't happening. As such, a new, vented cap must be installed, which is the entire point of my original question: Does anyone know of a cheapish one? Apparently not.

If anyone with the same problem is reading this in the future: Apparently no one here has ever bought a bike from someone who installed a non vented cap, and I myself can't find any cheap vented alternatives online, so the only apparent option is to buy an OEM replacement cap assembly, or the Vortex cap, either of which is $150 as of the year 2022.

·
Registered
5,056 Posts
Then spend $23 on a hinging non-vented chineasium gas cap do the vent hack. Or drill and tap your existing gas cap. Install a thread x barb fitting then extend a section of hose from the barb fitting to the hole in the triple tree and pretend you are on a 1989 RM250

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Or drill and tap your existing gas cap. Install a thread x barb fitting then extend a section of hose from the barb fitting to the hole in the triple tree and pretend you are on a 1989 RM250
I actually thought about that, you think it would interfere with a tank bag though? They are plenty of dirt bike snorkel vents available, actually.

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
10,380 Posts
Then fit a short as possible M/X snorkel vent. From memory the actual one way vent is only 20mm or so tall. Remove the hose and it should be possible to thread that end with a die, then put it through a hole drilled in the fuel cap with o-rings and a stainless nut to hold it there. It should not sit too proud to interfere greatly with your tank bag.
Or buy a $255.19 OEM cap Part #44201-33820.

·
Premium Member
3,376 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Then fit a short as possible M/X snorkel vent. From memory the actual one way vent is only 20mm or so tall. Remove the hose and it should be possible to thread that end with a die, then put it through a hole drilled in the fuel cap with o-rings and a stainless nut to hold it there. It should not sit too proud to interfere greatly with your tank bag.
This is actually not a bad idea, I think I might just try it.

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
10,380 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts