StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys; I recently saw my WEE in the rear view mirror and did not like what I saw. The indicator lights are not bright enough to stand out over the headlights and the other LED lights I have in the front. So I am toying with halogen MR11 or these LED bulbs:

S25 1156 11W Break Light as Indicator Bulb

Anybody tried them? If yes are they significantly brighter than stock?

Note: I have a 2004 WEE with amber lenses in the indicators.

Your advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Blaustrom aka Swede

PS: Not sure if allowable, I saw them here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-S25-1156-11W-High-Power-Brake-light-Turn-signal-Light-Bright-Lamp-White-Bulbs-/261466263263?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3ce09a8edf

Attachments

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
amber lenses
Those LEDs probably won't work. A colored lens filters out other colors and lets its color pass through. If the white LED has no yellow light in its spectrum, there is no yellow to get through your lens. A halogen or normal incandescent has this yellow light and therefore passes through.

If there is an amber or yellow LED with very high power, that might work. Or the MR11 in 12 volt, wide flood version, your choice, 10 watt or 20 watt (is the 20 too hot?), grafted on to an 1156 base. I lined the lamp housing with aluminum foil and use a halogen 3497 bulb. Some people get a strip of the red & white reflective tape you see on truck trailers, DOT C2 spec, and line the housing with the white reflective tape. The red tape goes good on the back sides of luggage or a strip along the swingarm.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I have yet to see an LED bulb brighter than the stock bulb in that application. What does help is the type that have a reflector base rather than little LEDs all over. The view from straight on with such LEDs can exceed that of the stock bulbs because there is no reflector in the stock housing. Some people paint or add metallic foil tape to the stock housing to reflect more light. See LED Brake Light, Turn Light and Tail Light Bulbs | LED Car Bulbs | Super Bright LEDs | Super Bright LEDs for different intensities. Turn signal bulbs are single intensity and tail/brake light bulbs are dual intensity and have different bases. Stick to the single intensity or 1156 types for signals.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the comments

Thanks. I do have already Al "reflectors" in my indicator housings which is a significant improvement. But its not enough to compete with the amber Whelen TR3 strobes I use as front marker lights.

I agree with your concerns of LED spectrum and amber filtering and the result being questionable but I was hoping someone has tried these already and can report how poor or otherwise they turn out in that application.

Thanks

Blaustrom

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Whenever using LED bulbs, keep them the same color as the lens. Much more light gets through that way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts