StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Specifications for my Garmin 2610 lists an operating range of 5 to 158 degrees Farenheit(-15 to 70 degrees Centigrade).

However, I'm wondering just how cold it can get outside before I have to remove it from my truck for fear of the LCD freezing, cracking, & subsequently being destroyed.

I called Garmin but could not get a straight answer from their Tech support line. The individual kept stating that the battery was the main concern, then he acknowledged that there was no battery in the 2610(?)

Does anyone ever had a GPS display crack and/or freeze in cold weather ? Was it a 2610 ? Does turning it on when very cold pose a particular risk ?

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
The Specifications for my Garmin 2610 lists an operating range of 5 to 158 degrees Farenheit(-15 to 70 degrees Centigrade).

However, I'm wondering just how cold it can get outside before I have to remove it from my truck for fear of the LCD freezing, cracking, & subsequently being destroyed.

I called Garmin but could not get a straight answer from their Tech support line. The individual kept stating that the battery was the main concern, then he acknowledged that there was no battery in the 2610(?)

Does anyone ever had a GPS display crack and/or freeze in cold weather ? Was it a 2610 ? Does turning it on when very cold pose a particular risk ?
At certain temperatures, my Mio gets very sluggish. At even lower temperatures, it won't operate. I have the same issue with an MP3 player I used to use. I kept the device in my left, outside jacket pocket and it quit working because it was too cold, (there was an error message on the screen informing me of that.). Will it freeze? I don't know. But, it is better for electronics if they are kept on a even keel temperature-wise.

B.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
I would think the batteries would get cold and stop working first.

·
Registered
467 Posts
how cold can it get outside before I have to remove it from my truck for fear of the LCD freezing, cracking, & subsequently being destroyed.
My job has me programming for mobile computers with 8" LCD touch screens that go on on RAM mounts in transit services. The manufacturer has a module for internal heat for the mobile computers. They say the drivers in the Northwest Territories don't like to wait for the cab to get warm enough for the screen to become responsive. So for them, a built in heater in the screen gets them going quick after leaving it in the vehicle at insanely cold temperatures.

They didn't say they've had any screens damaged from 'freezing'. They just don't work until they are in that operating range. LCDs cracked by freezing? I think that's a myth about LCDs. Yes the 'L' is for liquid, but it's not water. If it did, I bet GIS would return lots of pictures of LCDs cracked by cold.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts