StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On one of my semi-regular rides to a lunch spot, I pass a Camping World store. I have been known to stop in and look in the store in case I happen to spot any stuff I could use for Motorcycle Camping and kill some time. I haven't been to the store for some time and when I stopped in the other day they really changed the store. Now it's more like a sporting goods store with a decent sized Fishing department and what I would call a large Firearm section taking up one whole wall along with display cases to match. They have more inventory than a few firearm specialty stores I've seen. Almost gone are all the usual Solar panels and RV/Camper accessories and replacement items, couches, chairs awnings and the like. Just curious if anyone else visits the retailer and if their store has changed? Still, large parking lots of vehicles selling for more than my House and multiple service bays but the inside retail store sure is different . Heck did they get bought by Cabelas or something? ;)

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, that will teach me to research before posting. Appears Camping World bought Gander Mountain at a Bankruptcy Auction and plans to open "Gander Outdoors" stores. Appears to be related and the local store even though I didn't see New Mexico mentioned initially when you visit www.ganderoutdoors.com the Albuquerque store is shown at Camping World. I need to get out more! :unsure:

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
Yep, Camping World bought Gander Mountain at auction. I liked the old Gander Mt. but the new Gander Outdoors has not impressed me.

Oh, and Bass Pro bought Cabelas.

·
Registered
22,275 Posts
Kittery Trading Post is my local outfitter, bigger than most of the box stores, hard to beat their gun prices, if I do, by the time I add in FFL transfer and shipping, I'm still better off at KTP

·
Registered
708 Posts
Camping World is shutting down stores and focussing on RV sales.
They are losing money as a corporation.

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
I've been a Camping World member for years and get the ads all the time. Don't buy much but like visiting the stores occasionally.I got a couple gift certificates when renewing travel coverage thought Good Sam Club and was impressed with the local, 40 miles away, store. They had all sorts of neat stuff for the box/tent camper. Perhaps in more rural areas they'd have a different stock. Like Costco, their stock varies from neighborhood to neighborhood.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think that Camping World didn't want to invest some more money. You know how this works. Nowadays everything is changing and if they want to be at the highest level they have to develop themselves and invest in new opportunities. You know, now people make money very easily. I was looking for some more information about investments and found this blog https://themoneymix.com. I found there a lot of information. To be honest I didn't know that you have to know so many things before you would invest an amount. So maybe they have to see their methods again.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I live fairly close to the original Gander Mountain location (Wilmot, WI), and have watched the brand rise and fall over the last 30 years or so. And I specifically use the term 'brand', not company, as I believe Camping World is now the 4th or 5th owner.

Back in the 90s and early 00s, I bought a fair bit of kit from their catalog -- I liked their stuff better than what I saw at Cabela's or Bass Pro. I think their demise, though, was in trying to keep up with those 2 other big players, and they were never quite able to pull it off.

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
Thought it was the other way around?? Not that it matters much.
Nope, Bass Pro bought Cabelas for about $5.5 billion in 2016 and got final approval from the FTC in 2017. And as you say, not that it matters much.

I live fairly close to the original Gander Mountain location (Wilmot, WI), and have watched the brand rise and fall over the last 30 years or so. And I specifically use the term 'brand', not company, as I believe Camping World is now the 4th or 5th owner.

Back in the 90s and early 00s, I bought a fair bit of kit from their catalog -- I liked their stuff better than what I saw at Cabela's or Bass Pro. I think their demise, though, was in trying to keep up with those 2 other big players, and they were never quite able to pull it off.
I really liked the Gander Mountain Guide Series fishing shirts. I have 5 or 6 and still wear them. Also, like the price. Just doesn't seem the same under Camping World as Gander Outdoors.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts